Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN 50 greatest game shows special...  (Read 155642 times)

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
GSN 50 greatest game shows special...
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'123690\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 02:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'123689\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 11:38 AM\']
No, it was a joke to you PYL fans...who cried foul once again because their little "baby" got snubbed.
[/quote]
Ya know, I always giggle a little when the proprietor of the "Press Your Luck Palace" pulls out one of these random slams. I suggest everyone else try it, too. It's quite amusing.
[/quote]
But it's not the "Press Your Luck Palace" anymore... it's "PYLP Studios"!  ;-)
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

BrandonFG

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2006, 03:14:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'123689\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 02:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'123682\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 11:51 AM\']
I know the TV Guide list a few years ago was a joke to quite a few people because of shows like Masquerade Party and Shenanigans making the list while stuff like Press Your Luck got ignored[/quote]
No, it was a joke to you PYL fans...who cried foul once again because their little "baby" got snubbed.  In case you didn't know, Masquerade Party ran more than twice as long as Press Your Luck.
[/quote]
What was that for? How many average TV Guide viewers do you think know of "Masquerade Party", compared to PYL, esp. when the former hasn't even aired in over 30 years. The longevity of a show shouldn't have anything to do with being on the list. "Ready Set Cook" was up there too, and how long did that air (Sit down, Zach, I don't care to know)? A list that includes an obscure cooking game show, but not something that's still fondly remembered as an 80s cult (from people OUTSIDE of this group) does seem like a joke to me.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 03:16:28 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2006, 03:53:51 PM »
How serious is this list going to be taken?

The commercial has "Dog Eat Dog" in it , for pete's sake.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2006, 04:12:12 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'123694\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 02:14 PM\']
What was that for? How many average TV Guide viewers do you think know of "Masquerade Party", compared to PYL, esp. when the former hasn't even aired in over 30 years. The longevity of a show shouldn't have anything to do with being on the list.
[/quote]
My point exactly. There are a lot of us on this group that have shows on our all-time favs list that were on for a short period of time compared to shows like Masquerade Party, and in some cases, the shorter shows were and are better.

I mean, look at how many of us have started clamoring for Break the Bank around here. I for one really like that show and want to see it on the countdown. And last I checked, it was only around for a collective 15 months in its two runs. That's only a quarter of what Masquerade did, but does that not necessarily make it a worse show. I'll bet a few around here will probably argue for stuff like Hit Man, Go and Battlestars if they really wanted to. Do they win the argument? Who knows.

Also, on that same question of longevity determining the better show, on that TV Guide list, recall that Masquerade Party was ranked 8th on the list, while Wheel of Fortune, which has been on for over five times longer and counting, ranked way down at 25th. So according to longevity logic, shouldn't those ranks have been the other way around?

Bottom line is that to some extent, this list is going to get a little subjective. It's tough for it not to. We all have our favorites and we want them to get a little recognition if they truly deserve it. This does NOT mean that they should be #1 just because we say so. Like I said, I have no problem with a show like Price or Millionaire being given the top slot. The way those shows are put together, they deserve that kind of credit. If I had to place Press Your Luck, I would probably say it land somewhere around... low 20's... high teens on average, maybe? I'd have to think about that. But I know that just because it's MY number one does not mean I'll complain if it's not THE number one. The only time each of us gets mad individually is when our show gets snubbed for something that didn't make sense, no matter what the length of the show's run was.

BTW, I have an episode Masquerade on DVD now, and I didn't care much for it myself. Was OK, but the Mystery Guest spots on What's My Line? were a lot more fun.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 04:20:47 PM by Sonic Whammy »
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

zachhoran

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2006, 07:23:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'123682\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 12:51 PM\']
I agree with all of the comments about GSN not having rights to shows that deserve to make the list. Most notable of all of them has to be Price Is Right.

[/quote]

What are the over/unders on Lingo making their top 50? Or for that matter, any other GSN original(I suspect 3's a Crowd, as seen in the commercials for this marathon, makes the list, although probably undeservedly, in part because of the original). I suspect some or most people in here are cringing about 3's a Crowd, Greed, Dog Eat Dog, and even Treasure Hunt making the list, if the commercial is to be believed.

TonicBH

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »
It's not 50 great game shows.

They should just call it "Fifty shows in our library that we're gonna talk about for an hour."
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

zachhoran

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2006, 08:16:48 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'123732\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 08:09 PM\']

They should just call it "Fifty shows in our library that we're gonna talk about for an hour."
[/quote]

I believe it's a seven week series airing Tue-Thu at 10PM EST starting on 7/18.

sshuffield70

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2006, 08:30:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'123732\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 07:09 PM\']

[/quote]

Well, it could be worse.

It could have been the "50 Greatest Game Shows" hosted by 50 Cent....

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2006, 11:00:56 PM »
For the first three nigths:

Tuesday 17: Shows #50 and #49
Wednesday 18: 48-46
Thursday 19: 45-42.

Several shows are getting the short shrift early on. One can only hope Dog Eat Dog's one of them.
@lambertman

zachhoran

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2006, 11:04:36 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'123746\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 11:00 PM\']
For the first three nigths:

Tuesday 17: Shows #50 and #49
Wednesday 18: 48-46
Thursday 19: 45-42.

Several shows are getting the short shrift early on. One can only hope Dog Eat Dog's one of them.
[/quote]

I'm suspecting  shows they don't have the rights to show clips from, or maybe Sony-owned stuff that they now have to lease separately, might be among the shows featured Wed and Thu.

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2006, 02:15:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'121860\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 06:02 PM\']
I couldn't sit through the Alan Thicke remake, myself.
I concur with Chris that this version was terrible.

/didn't like Friend Or Foe either

The fact that it was on the GSN Feast of Favorites did nothing for me but lead me to believe that the list was totally tampered with.

--Jamie
[/quote]

GSN should call this list what it really is : The 50 Greatest Game Shows (Which We Have The Right To Air) Of All Time. If it were a REAL greatest game shows list, you would see TPIR on there.

Now I did like Russian Roulette...that was one GSN Original that was decent.

I just hope Inquizition doesn't make the cut. (Time has expired...and so have you, O' Great Inquizitor. Please...leave now.)

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2006, 02:17:14 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'123734\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 07:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'123732\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 07:09 PM\']

[/quote]

Well, it could be worse.

It could have been the "50 Greatest Game Shows" hosted by 50 Cent....
[/quote]

At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if they put GSN Video Games in the top 50.

calliaume

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2006, 08:11:31 AM »
If GSN is truly serious about this list, they can do a one-time lease.  It's common for Nick at Night to do this when they have theme weeks and such (for example, Moonlighting, which they have no rights to, popped up a few months ago as a one-shot).

Yes, it costs money.  But if they want to be truly representative, that's what must be done.  If it's just an excuse to trot out some old library titles and some relatively current stuff, that should be pointed out and laughed at appropriately.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2006, 09:18:08 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'124045\' date=\'Jul 13 2006, 05:11 AM\']
If it's just an excuse to trot out some old library titles and some relatively current stuff, that should be pointed out and laughed at appropriately.
[/quote]
Which is what I've been doing for two years now, much to the chagrin of some chuckleheads who think that it directly substitutes for actual market research.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 09:18:32 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2006, 12:33:54 PM »
If it hasn't been posted already, here's the GSN release...among the shows mentioned are Password Plus, Tic Tac Dough, and *mutter* the Larsen episodes of Press Your Luck.
--Mark
Phil 4:13