Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My Sale revival revisited  (Read 4477 times)

BMaurice06

My Sale revival revisited
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:09:13 AM »
Okay, I know I'm obsessed with this topic, but if you will, hear me out on a slight update on my own dream revival of "Sale of the Century":

My basic structure is mostly the same (Todd Newton as host, Brooke Burke as co-host, and Burton Richardson as announcer), but with these changes:

1.  The third Instant Bargain is replaced by the Instant Bonus, which is very similar to Cash Cards in the original Australian version.  Four envelopes, each marked with a letter in the word "SALE," are presented to the contestant in the lead.  Inside each envelope is either the "Cash Card" which offers a daily cash jackpot of $2,000 plus $1,000 a day until claimed, a bonus prize (usually a trip), a $20 bonus, and a "joker" which
takes $5 off the contestant's score.  The contestant can either give up $15 or the amount of his/her lead to choose an envelope; if he/she declines, the Cash Card is removed and the contestant in second place gets a free pick.

I thought maybe the US fans might want to see an American twist on Cash Cards.

2.  In the shopping segment, if the champion has an account of at least $625, he/she can buy all of the prizes and leave or come back on the next show to add the cash jackpot, now $50,000 plus $2,000 per show, to his/her winnings.

I figured that the values of all the prizes on Aussie Sale (circa 1980s) were probably about the same as they are presently in America, and I also figure that using the amounts would also be a little bit more budget-friendly while offering reasonable if not huge stakes.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'121525\' date=\'Jun 15 2006, 10:09 PM\']My basic structure is mostly the same (Todd Newton as host, [/quote]Pass.
Brooke Burke as co-host,
Pass.
and Burton Richardson as announcer),
And pass makes three. You're already at minus three, and you haven't even hacked the format to bits yet.

1.  The third Instant Bargain is replaced by the Instant Bonus, which is very similar to Cash Cards in the original Australian version.  Four envelopes, each marked with a letter in the word "SALE," are presented to the contestant in the lead.  Inside each envelope is either the "Cash Card" which offers a daily cash jackpot of $2,000 plus $1,000 a day until claimed, a bonus prize (usually a trip), a $20 bonus, and a "joker" which takes $5 off the contestant's score.  The contestant can either give up $15 or the amount of his/her lead to choose an envelope; if he/she declines, the Cash Card is removed and the contestant in second place gets a free pick.
Does the contestant in the lead get to choose, or is this just your way of admitting you didn't think this part through? And why would a 'bonus' chance take away EVEN MORE money off of a player's score? That's completely backwards. And one of your cards basically says "This never happened". Wha?

The reason Instant Cash was so great s the third Instant Bargain was that it worked on all levels. If a player went for the chance, it created at least a tie for the lead. Not only that, but it was a tie for the lead going into the big Fame Game question. Not only that, but the chance was actually a chance. You either got the cash jackpot, or $100. No "prize package" or "refund", it was all of the money, or a C-Note. It was interesting. The "Cash Card" as you have it is convoluted and uninteresting.

I thought maybe the US fans might want to see an American twist on Cash Cards.
I don't know why you thought that. We've gone this far, why start now.

I figured that the values of all the prizes on Aussie Sale (circa 1980s) were probably about the same as they are presently in America, and I also figure that using the amounts would also be a little bit more budget-friendly while offering reasonable if not huge stakes.
But they WERE huge stakes back then. Even $50,000 was a bunch of money back in 1983. When that cash jackpot climbed up, it was good money. That was the point. I'm not saying you need $500,000 in prizes and a $1 million cash jackpot, but what's wrong with offering grand champions a big pile o' loot? And for that matter, what makes you think you'd get to set that anyway? Grundy's is still majority (if not total) owner of the format.

You could bring "Temptation" to the United States, tweak nothing, and have something that would give Jeopardy! a challenge. Unfortunately, it seems like we're at the saturation point of prime access quiz shows, so that ain't gonna happen.
Travis L. Eberle

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 08:43:41 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'121551\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 08:09 AM\']

The reason Instant Cash was so great s the third Instant Bargain was that it worked on all levels. If a player went for the chance, it created at least a tie for the lead. Not only that, but it was a tie for the lead going into the big Fame Game question.

[/quote]

Technically, there were three more regular questions(and a commercial break) between the Instant Ca$h segment and the final Fame Game.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 09:33:06 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'121554\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 08:43 AM\']
Technically, there were three more regular questions(and a commercial break) between the Instant Ca$h segment and the final Fame Game.
[/quote]
That wasn't Travis' point and you know it.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 10:03:37 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'121568\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 09:33 AM\']
That wasn't Travis' point and you know it.
[/quote]

And so does he....He's just starving for posts lately since being temporarily banninated from Show Summaries...:)

Don Howard

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 10:07:07 AM »
I can't fault you for wanting the show to return as it's my favorite.
However...........
Todd Newton as host? No. Not his type of show, though I do believe he'd do his best to make it work, it's not the best suited for him. Heck, I'd be tempted to give Van Ginkel a try. He's certainly hosted it enough.
Brooke Burke as hostess? I'm in the tent. With her. Film at eleven. Or on Cinemax After Dark.
Burton Richardson as announcer? I will now officially not read another word you write.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:08:06 AM by Don Howard »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 01:20:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'121570\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 10:07 AM\']
However...........
Todd Newton as host? No. Not his type of show, though I do believe he'd do his best to make it work, it's not the best suited for him. Heck, I'd be tempted to give Van Ginkel a try. He's certainly hosted it enough.
[/quote]

I see your Van Ginkel and raise you a Dumovich, with a possible Dean Rogers to follow if you re-raise ;)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 04:04:38 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'121585\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 10:20 AM\']
and raise you a Dumovich,
[/quote]
He'd be fired the first time he threw a fit on the air because someone wouldn't buy an Instant Bargain.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 04:11:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'121607\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 01:04 PM\']
and raise you a Dumovich,[/quote]
He'd be fired the first time he threw a fit on the air because someone wouldn't buy an Instant Bargain.[/quote]Or have the producers throw a fit because the $14 trip to Boston has just been discounted all the way down to two bucks.
Travis L. Eberle

DJDustman

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 04:24:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'121607\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 04:04 PM\']
and raise you a Dumovich,
[/quote]
He'd be fired the first time he threw a fit on the air because someone wouldn't buy an Instant Bargain.
[/quote]

Correct, after begging even. It was too much fun though, even if all of it is fake. For those who weren't around, Chris played an extremely well game. It was almost as if Alice Conkright was living in him. Bought nothing.

As for the revival idea, just let it be.  The show would be fine if it was revived just the way it was back in the 80's.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'121585\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 01:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'121570\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 10:07 AM\']
However...........
[/quote]

I see your Van Ginkel and raise you a Dumovich, with a possible Dean Rogers to follow if you re-raise ;)
[/quote]
DJ is a decent online host.  Joe Van Ginkel rocks.  Joe is a student of the game.  He has the pacing down perfectly, speaks well, says the right things at the right time, and writes some damn good material.  However, Joe loses 1/10,000th of a point because I lost to Steve McClellan at the last second during Sale at Con4.

For the game, model it after after Temptation but without AU$17,000 internet fridges and other useless, ridiculously priced crap.  Joe V.G. as host, Randy announcing, Anya modeling--the Temptation triumvirate!  I'd watch it twice every night--once for the quality gameplay and for Joe and Randy's mad skills; and once because I want Bed Bath and Beyond's stock to soar.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 05:33:40 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'121620\' date=\'Jun 16 2006, 02:01 PM\']For the game, model it after after Temptation but without AU$17,000 internet fridges and other useless, ridiculously priced crap.  [/quote] If I were to get that far, I would be quite happy to keep any one prize out of a Lot win; even if it's just the $28,573 trip to New Guatelavia. And if the internet fridge doesn't tickle your fancy, maybe the $8,000 TV fridge will do it, yours for a tempting $10. I have no place for the leather suite, no one to give a diamond pendant to...but I would happily upgrade to the Volvo.

I suppose that would all be moot, because if I get to night seven, I would be taking the money and running like hell.

Joe V.G. as host, Randy announcing, Anya modeling--the Temptation triumvirate!  I'd watch it twice every night--once for the quality gameplay and for Joe and Randy's mad skills; and once because I want Bed Bath and Beyond's stock to soar.
Randy announcing? Where do I sign?
Travis L. Eberle

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 11:08:55 PM »
Dustin's translation of Sale on to Yahoo was good too...and the announcer he used on Yahoo Sale, what a piece of work I...I mean, HE was.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 01:14:25 AM by FOXSportsFan »

BMaurice06

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 05:36:25 PM »
All right, all right.  How this:

A new version that uses the same shopping format from the 1985 syndicated edition, includes Instant Cash at $2,500 per day, and has the bigger jackpot at $100,000 plus $2,000 per show.

I simply upped the stakes a bit, but I still like my on-air lineup (although I may be inching towards John O'Hurley as host).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 07:15:01 PM »
[quote name=\'BMaurice06\' post=\'121730\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 04:36 PM\']
A new version that uses the same shopping format from the 1985 syndicated edition, includes Instant Cash at $2,500 per day, and has the bigger jackpot at $100,000 plus $2,000 per show.
[/quote]
You didn't win any creativity awards, did you?
--Mark
Phil 4:13