Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes made to GSN Weekend Schedule  (Read 5946 times)

melman1

Changes made to GSN Weekend Schedule
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 06:52:56 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'121080\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 02:19 PM\']
Actually, the changes in question were posted on May 29th (my bad).
[/quote]
Got a link?  
GSN doesn't need to put out press releases on classic programming changes.  They can usually be found by consulting various TV websites.  Which is likely how this one was found.
Guessing at lineup changes by looking at "various TV websites" has proven to be wrong most of the time.  Often  they are just mistaken future listings that get corrected later.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

sshuffield70

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2006, 08:17:43 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' post=\'121096\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 05:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'121080\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 02:19 PM\']
Actually, the changes in question were posted on May 29th (my bad).
[/quote]
Got a link?  
[/quote]

Hope that helps ya.

melman1

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 08:44:11 PM »
OK, so the "announcement" was made:
a) by someone completely unconnected with GSN
b) who probably saw it on one of the tv-listing sites which are terribly prone to error on anything more than a few days out.  In this case he got lucky and the listing (only 2 weeks in advance) proved right.
c) with no confirmation or denial on from GSN, on their own damn boards.

In other words, nothing's changed.  That's what I figured.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 08:46:15 PM by melman1 »

sshuffield70

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 08:53:10 AM »
Well, the original post was made by "GregSumner" who occasionally posts here as "Seth Thrasher" (his original GSN name), and is well versed enough on TV websites to catch changes far ahead of time.  He's also been a longtime GSN poster with a great level of credibility.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 08:53:52 AM by sshuffield70 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'121156\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 08:53 AM\']
 He's also been a longtime GSN poster with a great level of credibility.[/quote]
Fair enough, but the suggestion that GSN doesn't "need" to make press releases announcing their changes because fans on the internet will find out about them and spread the word is just ridiculous.  For one thing, I hope GSN isn't counting on internet game show fans as their only audience.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 02:03:31 PM »
The last time GSN released a PR for a general-issue schedule change (new and returning shows and one-off stunts notwithstanding) was when they overhauled the morning daytime schedule well over a year ago. It's possible  that GSN management felt that the relatively minor change of adding a run of Password Plus, and a double-run of Super Password, to weekends, didn't warrant wasting the time of their PR staff.  Better from their perspective to let the internet fans - the one audience of the network who could even conceivably CARE about a minute change like this to the network's programming slate - handle it: internet fans do a decent job promoting amongst themselves, and they work a LOT cheaper :).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:06:21 PM by Seth Thrasher »

melman1

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 09:07:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'121176\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 11:03 AM\']
Better from their perspective to let the internet fans - the one audience of the network who could even conceivably CARE about a minute change like this to the network's programming slate - handle it
[/quote]
"let the fans handle it?"  What is there for you to handle?  You're not getting any info straight from GSN (are you?), you're noticing lineup changes on TV listing sites.  Most of the time, these "changes" turn out to be typos, resulting in much hand-wringing over nothing.

It's just plain lazy for them not to have an "announcements" area on their site for schedule changes, or a simple  mailing list.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 10:32:27 PM »
"let the fans handle it?"  What is there for you to handle?

Posting the schedule changes that people, for whatever reason, do apparently seem to care about - for whatever reasons they might have.   It's obvious that GSN won't post something minor, but schedule changes to GSN, which last time I checked, was on-topic on either board, are important to at least some people, so it gets done.  

Most of the time, these "changes" turn out to be typos, resulting in much hand-wringing over nothing.
At WHAT point have I posted schedule changes, to either board, that were incorrect (and if I DID, that I didn't issue an apology and correction for).

It's just plain lazy for them not to have an "announcements" area on their site for schedule changes, or a simple  mailing list.

This much I'll agree with.  While GSN certainly won't - and shouldn't - waste PR staffers on minor changes, it couldn't be a drain on their resources to ask one of their web support personnel to keep track of this stuff on one little page, or send out an e-mail to interested people.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:33:41 PM by Seth Thrasher »

melman1

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 09:22:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'121248\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 07:32 PM\']
schedule changes to GSN, which last time I checked, was on-topic on either board[/quote]
Of course.  But that's not the point.

At WHAT point have I posted schedule changes, to either board, that were incorrect (and if I DID, that I didn't issue an apology and correction for).
That's not the point either.  

it couldn't be a drain on their resources to ask one of their web support personnel to keep track of this stuff on one little page, or send out an e-mail to interested people.
And that's the point.  Until GSN starts doing this for themselves, any post based on info gleaned from advance tv listings is simply speculation.  Might be right, might be wrong.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:23:17 PM by melman1 »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 10:03:32 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' post=\'121339\' date=\'Jun 13 2006, 08:22 PM\']

And that's the point.  Until GSN starts doing this for themselves, any post based on info gleaned from advance tv listings is simply speculation.  Might be right, might be wrong.
[/quote]

Not quite.  Granted, any scheduling information posted by anyone not from GSN, or otherwise channeling the spirit of Rich Cronin, shouldn't be taken as gospel.  But it's NOT speculation, at least on an original poster's part.  Speculation is "I think GSN will air Super Password until Smarch 32, 20x6, when it'll get replaced by a revival of Way Out Games. "  

Using information from listings sites still isn't as quality as getting it straight from the horse's..well, anyway, it's better than nothing. and given GSN's rather consistent indifference to formally announcing all but the most massive schedule changes, and as it doesn't appear as though they plan to start any time soon, the listings sites  are pretty much the best source of info for this stuff, aside from the occasional reappearance of Das Perf (who has had credibility issues in the past himself).  

Information from listings sites has been used as a chief basis for news and discussion here, GSN Boards, atgs, Bed, Bath & Beyond...everywhere for as long as *I've* been around these parts (Adlink anyone?)...why it's suddenly an issue is beyond me.   (Still, it WOULD be best to get it straight from the horse's...