Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "1 vs. 100" casting notice  (Read 16357 times)

thgames65

"1 vs. 100" casting notice
« on: June 07, 2006, 01:05:54 AM »
Looks like NBC is working to get 1 vs. 100 on the air soon.  The casting notice on craigslist has an attention-grabbing headline.

The phone # listed has a message stating to leave your name and phone # for them to call back.  They indicate that they will take calls from any part of the country, but potential contestants must travel to LA at their own expense in order to audition.

Tim H.

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 03:09:54 PM »
I emailed and received a call from a production assistant.  They don't just need you to fly to LA once to audition-- if you pass the test and preliminaries, you'd need to fly in again to meet with the casting director for an interview.  I was willing to fly in once-- I could turn it into a long weekend and see some friends-- but twice was a bit much.  I declined.

I asked a bit about the format.  One player and 100 audience members-- all of whom are cast, so it's not just a pool of random people-- answer the same trivia question.  Anyone who gets it wrong is eliminated.  As players are eliminated the jackpot increases.  The hotseat player can walk away and take the money (I don't know if that decision must come before the next question is heard), in which case the surviving audience members get nothing.  If the hotseat player answers incorrectly, the game ends and the surviving audience members split the jackpot (and the hotseat player gets nothing).

narzo

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 05:54:16 PM »
[quote name=\'thgames65\' post=\'120589\' date=\'Jun 7 2006, 12:05 AM\']
Looks like NBC is working to get 1 vs. 100 on the air soon.  The casting notice on craigslist has an attention-grabbing headline.

The phone # listed has a message stating to leave your name and phone # for them to call back.  They indicate that they will take calls from any part of the country, but potential contestants must travel to LA at their own expense in order to audition.

Tim H.
[/quote]

"This posting has been removed"

thgames65

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 07:23:47 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'120735\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 04:54 PM\']

"This posting has been removed"
[/quote]

There is a new one.

Tim H.

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 03:16:26 PM »
I recently confirmed an invitation to a casting call for Monday, 6/19 in Culver City. 30-question exam, plus interviews. I'll fill in more details on my return.

--Charlie, MPW
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 10:10:43 PM »
I attended a casting call. It starts with a long application.  Weird, embarrassing, crazy things, self-portrait, poetry, what you'd do with $3 million, have you been convicted, things like that. Then, a 30-question quiz, 3 choices for each question, some pop culture. It was about 10 minutes. While the quizzes were graded, the 70+ of us each gave a 15-second bio (what do you do, what you'd do with the money, etc.)

Then, some game play. Two of the production people played as contestants. We were "the mob", each of us with three cards in front of us (numbered 1, 2, or 3). Mob members needed to answer correctly to stay in the mob. A right answer from the player meant the player stayed in the game. The pot would go up for every 10 mob members eliminated. Once the player missed, the pot would be evenly distributed to the mob members remaining.

They had a scale on a whiteboard like this:

Audience Remaining: Amount
90: $1,000
80: $5,000
70: $10,000
60: $25,000
50: $50,000
40: $100,000
30: $200,000
20: $300,000
10: $500,000
0: $3,000,000

The player had three uses of the "panic button" available in lieu of answering the question. The first use dropped the top prize to $2,000,000. The second use cut all money amounts in half, and the third use cut them in half again. (Edit: Also, if the player used the panic button, any mob members who got that question wrong would not be eliminated.)

No word about whether a mob member would be picked as the next player, but as long as you kept answering questions correctly, you could continue playing.

Two games were played, one with easy questions, another with harder ones. I managed to stay in the mob both times, which would have netted me over $33,000 if it were for real.

We were encouraged to yell at and otherwise taunt the player. To me, the game felt like a cross between DOND and a Jerry Springer show, something where an amateur host may have difficulty managing the audience.

As far as actually making it on, I don't know (don't call us, we'll call you).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 12:48:39 AM by GiraffeBoy »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 10:13:49 PM »
[quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'121877\' date=\'Jun 19 2006, 07:10 PM\']
To me, the game felt like a cross between DOND and a Jerry Springer show
[/quote]
Wow. That pretty much is the very picture of what I would NOT like to see in a new game show.

That said, I'm sure it will be a smash hit.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 10:27:49 PM »
I have to be honest, I'm very disappointed.  The money system is incredibly dumb.  I would have been impressed had they have gone with the formula system, but the American public, in general, is too dumb to grasp it.  The jump from $500K to $3M is so awkward.  Some sort of filler would have been nicer, like eliminating 95 gets you a million or 1.5 million.  A 2.5M jump is just unreal.  The escape system is bad too.  There could be 99 people gone.  You haven't used an escape and you just don't know.  You use it and the player gets it wrong, you win $2,000,000 for not knowing an answer.  I don't like that at all.  It also penalizes the mob for no reason whatsoever.  To me, this now seems like a giant Millionaire clone.  Here's the basic description of our 1 vs 100

A player sits in the hot seat and answers multiple choice trivia questions.  The more right, the higher chance you get up on a money chain.  If you aren't sure, you have 3 escapes to assist you.

Here's Millionaire.

A player sits in the hot seat and answers multiple choice trivia questions.  The more right, the higher up the money chain you get.  If you aren't sure, you have 3 lifelines to assist you.

The Dutch version doesn't seem like a clone at all to me.  The trash talking thing will be "interesting".  For better or worse, I don't know.  I have a tiny feeling that by watching the Dutch version and really enjoying it, I'm going to be let down by this, but I really hope not.  I thought I was going to be let down by DoND also, but I really wasn't, so I'm still very excited an interested to see this.

davidbod

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 03:58:34 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'121881\' date=\'Jun 20 2006, 03:27 AM\']
The escape system is bad too.  There could be 99 people gone.  You haven't used an escape and you just don't know.  You use it and the player gets it wrong, you win $2,000,000 for not knowing an answer.[/quote]

I don't think so - if you use an escape, the audience escapes elimination on that question too.
David J. Bodycombe, Labyrinth Games

Author of How To Devise A Game Show

thgames65

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »
The game format still appears to be undergoing revision.  At the 6/20 audition I attended, here were the threshholds used in the mock game:

Mob members left ==================  Money won
100-76   ===========================    $0
75-51 ============================     $10K
31-50  ============================     $50K
21-30    ============================     $100K
11-20   ============================      $250K
1-10    =============================    $500K
0        ===============================       $3M

The Panic Button use would lead to one of three possible new situations for the One:
- Dummy Question:  The Q is changed to a ridiculously easy one
- Specialty Question:  The Q is changed to one in the the Player's chosen specialty
- 2 Guesses:  Player gets two shots at answering the three-option multiple choice Q (ala Double Dip)

Each new situation from the Panic Button can occur only once, but it was not fully explained how it is determined which one happens, so it might be random, pre-ordained, or Player's (or conceivably Mob's) choice.   The penalty to the prize $ for Panic Button use was not reviewed at today's audition.

Likely there will be many tweaks before this hits the air.

Tim H.

Lars

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 03:55:57 PM »
I went to an audition July 20, and it seemed like a very nice game to me.  Everyone there seemed to be having fun, and it is actually much better when played than it sounds.  In the first mock game we played, the jackpot quickly went up to $400,000 - the contestant lost, and 15 members of the mob would have won $26,000 each!

I live close to Culver City (Venice), and so I didn't have to go far.  However, I found out about it a bit late and had not printed out my application ahead of time, and so I had to finish it rather hurriedly and forgot to sign it.  I wonder if that will disqualify me.  I would like to go on the show just because it was fun, and I did really like the host, although I can't remember his name.  This is definitely a show I would watch.

WhammyPower

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 09:23:40 PM »
NBC has come up with an application for this one.  It's only 8 pages this time! (I'm not counting the cover page, since there's nothing to fill out on it.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:24:09 PM by WhammyPower »

Lars

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 09:10:19 PM »
I wish I had had that application before I went for my audition, since I had to fill it out hurriedly at the site.  However, they called me today and asked me to show up for the taping on August 12, but I'm only going to be part of the mob.  They said that if I do not get eliminated, I would have to return on Sunday for another taping.  I really enjoyed the audition, and I think I will enjoy the taping even more.  I neglected to sign my application, but they said I could do that later.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 01:52:44 AM »
I meant to post this earlier, but you've motivated me.  Like you said, it is suppose to tape in August which is it.  Right now, the rumor from NBC sources is that it'll air in September, but I'm not exactly believing that.  Seems too soon, since the new season of everything will be starting right around them, but I could be completely wrong.

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 04:35:42 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'126285\' date=\'Aug 4 2006, 12:52 AM\']
I meant to post this earlier, but you've motivated me.  Like you said, it is suppose to tape in August which is it.  Right now, the rumor from NBC sources is that it'll air in September, but I'm not exactly believing that.  Seems too soon, since the new season of everything will be starting right around them, but I could be completely wrong.
[/quote]

Have they got a host yet?  DeCarlo, Jane Lynch or someone else?