Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DoND Board Game  (Read 6536 times)

Matteo

DoND Board Game
« on: June 02, 2006, 03:06:44 AM »
I know it's now shipping on nbc.com, but has anyone spotted it at Target or KMart or anywhere else?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:15:51 AM by Matteo »

ShoeHorn

DoND Board Game
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:40:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Matteo\' post=\'120169\' date=\'Jun 2 2006, 03:06 AM\']
I know it's now shipping on nbc.com, but has anyone spotted it at Target or KMart or anywhere else?
[/quote]

At Kmart at least, we have the UPCs on file for the board game and dvd game. Nothing is even available for us to order from the district warehouse, so I gather it's just taking a long time to release. Just for kicks, the dvd game and board game will be $19.99 each at Kmart and $18.54 for the dvd from Wal-Mart.

The dvd game will be released in mid-July. I'll try and post a review of the board game if and when I get it at work.

Matteo

DoND Board Game
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 01:49:46 AM »
alrighty, thank you for replying!

alfonzos

DoND Board Game
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 04:01:00 PM »
There is a DoND card game by Cardinal on sale at K-B Toys for $9.99. The game is made by Cardinal but not mentioned on the company website. I found it at the NBC store website and there in the description is the word "imported." The packaging says it's a card game for one or more players. The game is packaged in a little metal briefcase.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Bob Zager

DoND Board Game
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 08:24:43 PM »
I was in Toys R Us today, and they had ad flyers by the entrance door, picturing the DOND board game, and saying "expected in store by 7/10."  The store I was in DID NOT have it, but I've heard some stores do.

In the TRU clearance section were Pressman's Jeopardy (Original Edition), and Wheel of Fortune Second Edition for $8.99 each.   The Jeopardy game is in a smaller size box than when originally released, and the game board does NOT have the logo at the top, in order to fit it in smaller box.   They've also reduced fourth edition Password to around $6.

Matt Ottinger

DoND Board Game
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 11:59:38 AM »
I just got back from a visit to New York City, and the NBC souvenir shop in Rockefeller Center did have them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

DoND Board Game
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 12:36:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122685\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 11:59 AM\']
I just got back from a visit to New York City, [/quote]

--Glad to see you made it safely home.  Welcome back to the Board.
czambo@mac.com

Clay Zambo

DoND Board Game
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 10:04:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'122584\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 08:24 PM\']
I was in Toys R Us today, and they had ad flyers by the entrance door, picturing the DOND board game, and saying "expected in store by 7/10."  The store I was in DID NOT have it, but I've heard some stores do.
[/quote]

I can confirm that.  The TRU near me had both the briefcase-looking card game and the box game today.

No chance I'm gonna buy, but it was nice to take a look.
czambo@mac.com

NickS

DoND Board Game
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 08:41:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122685\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 10:59 AM\']
I just got back from a visit to New York City, and the NBC souvenir shop in Rockefeller Center did have them.
[/quote]

Did they have a clearance sale on "Joey" and Katie Couric t-shirts? ;)

Matt Ottinger

DoND Board Game
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 10:52:48 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'122754\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 08:41 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122685\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 10:59 AM\']I just got back from a visit to New York City, and the NBC souvenir shop in Rockefeller Center did have them.[/quote]Did they have a clearance sale on "Joey" and Katie Couric t-shirts? ;)[/quote]
Fully realizing (and enjoying) your joke, I did notice that Couric's children's book was on sale at 50% off.  And as a matter of fact, they do have a graveyard of leftover items from cancelled shows.  Anybody want an Ed coffee mug?

The last time I was in the city, the NBC gift shop was a relatively modest little place.  Now it's this multi-level monstrosity they call the NBC Experience, located -- not surprisingly -- right next to the courtyard where the yokels wave at the Today cameras.  I'm not immune from tourism -- my wife now has Scrubs scrubs and I love my little peacock beanie baby -- but it was disappointing to see Rockefeller Center turning into Times Square.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
DoND Board Game
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 12:48:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122760\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 07:52 AM\']
Anybody want an Ed coffee mug?
[/quote]
I really miss that show. Not just because I went to high school with the guy who played Ed's best friend, but because it was a genuinely good show.

On a slightly related tip, in doing a little Web searching this morning I came across the rules for the DoND card game, the one in the whimsical little replica briefcase. Here it is, in a nutshell:

1) Deal out the Cash Cards, cover each with a numbered Briefcase Card.
2) "Open" briefcases as usual. (I'm gonna guess that providing your own "whooshing" sound effects are optional.) Mark off "opened" cases on a specially printed scorepad.
3) When Bank Offer time comes, draw a card from the Bank Offer deck, and receive a completely random offer, no matter what point in the game you are at or what dollar values you've left laying, between $400 and $400,000.

Can you say "friggin' broken"?

(That said, as a collector's item, I'll probably snag one when they're in the $2.99 clearance pile at We B Toyz or on Amazon.com. I'm guessing sometime after this Christmas.)
The last time I was in the city, the NBC gift shop was a relatively modest little place.  Now it's this multi-level monstrosity they call the NBC Experience, located -- not surprisingly -- right next to the courtyard where the yokels wave at the Today cameras.
Every time I see another one of these megastores opening in NYC (see Cube, Big Glass Apple), I can't help but think that for all of their perception and posturing that they are the Center Of The Known Universe, the Big Apple has the biggest case of Small Dick Syndrome I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:51:21 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
DoND Board Game
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 01:17:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'122767\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 09:48 AM\']Can you say "friggin' broken"?[/quote]I'm sure they thought of that, and they probably figured that it would hurt fewer people's heads to do it that way, rather than to include the formula for them to calculate the early offers that no one takes. This way only the 'gamers' get headaches, and I certainly wouldn't put that on my birthday list anyhow.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
DoND Board Game
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 01:25:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'122769\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 10:17 AM\']
I'm sure they thought of that, and they probably figured that it would hurt fewer people's heads to do it that way, rather than to include the formula for them to calculate the early offers that no one takes. This way only the 'gamers' get headaches, and I certainly wouldn't put that on my birthday list anyhow.
[/quote]
Based on recent experiences with mass-market produced games, I'm NOT AT ALL sure they thought of this. In doing it that way they have produced a completely idiotic game. Even if you're NOT a hardcore gamer you have to figure out that this is a completely idiotic game.

Really, the board game (at least the one that Van Ginkel reviewed on his site) where each player rotates as the Banker and makes the offers out of his own pocket, is at least tenuously interesting. But this is stupid.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:27:05 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

DoND Board Game
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 03:03:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122760\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 10:52 AM\']
The last time I was in the city, the NBC gift shop was a relatively modest little place.  Now it's this multi-level monstrosity they call the NBC Experience, located -- not surprisingly -- right next to the courtyard where the yokels wave at the Today cameras.  I'm not immune from tourism -- my wife now has Scrubs scrubs and I love my little peacock beanie baby -- but it was disappointing to see Rockefeller Center turning into Times Square.
[/quote]
Yep.

The NBC Studio Tour used to be quite a gem - before they pimped it up with crosspromotion....weather with Al Roker! Ride Conan's Desk! Date Joey! all for 24.95.

Then again, shame on our moderator for coming to NYC and not letting some of the east coast contigent know. 'I' would have met him and bought him a $14 beer at the Olive Garden.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

dzinkin

DoND Board Game
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 03:16:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'122781\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 03:03 PM\']
Then again, shame on our moderator for coming to NYC and not letting some of the east coast contigent know. 'I' would have met him and bought him a $14 beer at the Olive Garden.
[/quote]
Reminds me of a co-worker who, when we went to NYC for a conference, wanted to eat at TGI Friday's.  It took some effort to persuade her to go to a place we don't have in Rochester -- in this case, the Carnegie Deli.