Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel NBC to CBS and back to NBC  (Read 5626 times)

sshuffield70

Wheel NBC to CBS and back to NBC
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 02:58:41 PM »
Not that I know of...

But there were two odd circumstances, one of which I saw..

Davidson Pyramid - the champ at the end of the Clark run returned.

10 Seconds - the champ (as well as the host) was carried over from Top Card.

Don Howard

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 03:31:56 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'119388\' date=\'May 24 2006, 02:58 PM\']
Not that I know of...
But there were two odd circumstances, one of which I saw..
Davidson Pyramid - the champ at the end of the Clark run returned.
10 Seconds - the champ (as well as the host) was carried over from Top Card.
[/quote]
In addition, the returning champion from the opening 1993 episode of Scrabble was the last champion when the first edition ended its run in 1990.

wheelloon

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 05:10:01 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'119198\' date=\'May 23 2006, 12:03 PM\']
I know you're looking for concrete answers, but I'm making an educated guess in saying shopping was dumped because nighttime went without it for 2 years and obviously fans weren't alienated by that fact. Looked mighty cheap to flip from Wheel at 7:30 at night where thousands in cash was thrown about to Wheel in the daytime for T-Fal cookware and overpriced secretary units. Of course, they couldn't afford to give away as much cash as they did at night, hence the amounts we saw. Which in the process might've made them look even cheaper than they did before. Hmm.
[/quote]
That was sort of the route I was taking with how that came about. Thankfully, by the end of NBC run, all of the $50 and $75 spaces had been decimated and nicer prizes then a $916 mountain trip or something like that were being offered during the game.

My thought process with CBS and NBC was that Wheel was doing very well in daytime (didn't know it was #2 though), up until Pat left. When Rolf took over, I figured their ratings must have started to plummet, and NBC decided to drop them. Thus, CBS, seeing what might be a golden opportunity, brought Bob Goen in, revamped the daytime rules to resemble the syndicated version's, and brought Pat in on the first episode to hopefully get some people to his failing talk show. Then, possibly, after some time, the ratings started to go down again, so CBS was planning on dropping them, and NBC saw a chance to maybe get one of their trademark shows back, and hopefully turn the ratings around in the process, which didn't happen. Who knows?

I did know about that whole champion thing too, and thought that was awkward as well. It was almost as if the two networks were working together to try to keep the show from going off daytime TV, lol.
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 04:48:22 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'119196\' date=\'May 23 2006, 10:52 AM\']
Yes, most of us probably know that in 1989, daytime WOF went from appearing on NBC to CBS, and underwent a needed emcee change. [/quote]
"Needed"?  I personally didn't think Rolf was terrible, per say...I can think of several "good" hosts I like less.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 10:38:13 AM »
Amusing coincidence... as this thread rages, Alan Kalter introduced Dave Letterman last night as "former placekicker-turned-game show host."
@lambertman

aaron sica

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 10:40:56 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'119514\' date=\'May 26 2006, 10:38 AM\']
Amusing coincidence... as this thread rages, Alan Kalter introduced Dave Letterman last night as "former placekicker-turned-game show host."
[/quote]

Yeah, Chris, how ironic was that? ;)

wheelloon

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 04:39:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'119507\' date=\'May 26 2006, 04:48 AM\']
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'119196\' date=\'May 23 2006, 10:52 AM\']
Yes, most of us probably know that in 1989, daytime WOF went from appearing on NBC to CBS, and underwent a needed emcee change. [/quote]
"Needed"?  I personally didn't think Rolf was terrible, per say...I can think of several "good" hosts I like less.
[/quote]
And yes, that is your opinion.

My opinion: Rolf got better as time went on, but, and he even said it, he did not do anything to improve that show...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

ChuckNet

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2006, 06:41:21 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'119566\' date=\'May 26 2006, 04:39 PM\']
My opinion: Rolf got better as time went on, but, and he even said it, he did not do anything to improve that show...
[/quote]

Wonder if Jimmy Connors (who, according to Merv on that E! THS, had a great audition) would've done better, had NBC not changed their plans at the last min...

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")