Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or No Deal this fall...  (Read 9508 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal or No Deal this fall...
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 05:49:18 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'118769\' date=\'May 17 2006, 01:53 PM\']
What's funny to me on that one is hearing the same voice I've heard only when playing EA Sports' NHL hockey game doing a live game
[/quote]
I think this is why I like Hughson so much, too. He also calls the Vancouver games, which I get on Center Ice, so I've had that where's-my-gamepad feeling for a couple years now.
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'118770\' date=\'May 17 2006, 01:54 PM\']
And Chris, you probably didn't hear Cole/Neale 15 years ago when they were much more on their game.  Same way that MacLean/Cherry was much better 15 years ago as well.
[/quote]
Yeah, I'm comparitively new to the HNiC fold, I've only been watching and paying close attention since I moved up here in 1998...it was kinda hard to really listen when watching bits and pieces of the game over closed-circuit at the Shark Tank.

I understand Don was far more interesting before he lost his wife, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »
Hughson's great and it's good that CBC picked him up for the back end of the HNiC doubleheaders.  He does a great job with the voiceovers for EA Sports, much like how Doc Emrick did a solid job with Darren Pang in the NHL Faceoff series.  They make great strides in making it seem like they're really calling a game.  The legendary Bob Cole, on the other hand, did crappy voice work on the Sega NHL 2K games, before he was axed for the ESPN folks.

mmb5, are you sure Tesh composed the current NHL theme?  I'm not trying to say you're wrong, it just sounds like a very non-Tesh compared to "Roundball Rock" and "Gridiron Dreams".  He might have composed the NHL theme that NBC used from 1990-92, as I recall that sounded more Tesh-esque.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:10:29 PM by FOXSportsFan »

clemon79

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 08:22:25 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'118779\' date=\'May 17 2006, 05:09 PM\']
mmb5, are you sure Tesh composed the current NHL theme?  I'm not trying to say you're wrong, it just sounds like a very non-Tesh compared to "Roundball Rock" and "Gridiron Dreams".  
[/quote]
When it comes to music, considering the nature of his work, I'm gonna take Michael at his word when he says it's Tesh.

Fedya

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006, 10:52:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118754\' date=\'May 17 2006, 03:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'118752\' date=\'May 17 2006, 11:56 AM\']
(I know Chris L. will say what he will on ESPN's coverage and how much he didn't like it--but I thought Thorne and Clement were a terrific announce team).
[/quote]
I think you'll be surprised. I really liked Thorne and Clement too (aside from Thorne's tendency to mispronounce Marcus Ragnarsson's name),[/quote]
I lost what little respect I had for Thorne and Clement with the "the goal light didn't go on" gaffe in the Devils/Senators series a few years back

and I do miss NHL 2 Night something awful. My main issue is with how The Mouse as a whole treated the sport as a third-class citizen when they pretty much had network television exclusivity on it.
The Mouse seems less about sports, and more about superstars who happen to play sports (with a severe case of identity politics thrown in; I'm sick and tired of hearing about Michelle Wie).  Their tennis coverage is horrible, although we were lucky that on the women's side this spring, most of the players ESPN would hype were injured and not playing.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2006, 10:54:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'118792\' date=\'May 17 2006, 07:52 PM\']
I'm sick and tired of hearing about Michelle Wie
[/quote]
I'm told she will be signing a sponsorship deal with Nintendo. It works on quite a few levels. :)

aaron sica

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 11:04:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118793\' date=\'May 17 2006, 10:54 PM\']
[/quote]
I'm told she will be signing a sponsorship deal with Nintendo. It works on quite a few levels. :)
[/quote]

This definitely deserves "Line of the day". :)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 08:56:43 AM »
Well, them and me both, although I have the sinking feeling that Edmonton is gonna be one step closer at close of business tonight...

For what it's worth, I'm hoping Carolina comes out of the East.  And I really miss ESPN's coverage of the NHL.  OLN's (from what I've seen of it) just doesn't do it for me.

It's just too bad NBC's ratings weren't a bit better - but with the final four we've now got, they're probably pulling their hair out at the network offices.

Getting (slightly) back on topic...I've seen "Deal or No Deal" promos on NBC's NHL broadcasts!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 09:29:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'118816\' date=\'May 18 2006, 05:56 AM\']
For what it's worth, I'm hoping Carolina comes out of the East.
[/quote]
I don't, but mostly because I hate Peter Karmanos and what he did to the good people of Hartford.
And I really miss ESPN's coverage of the NHL.  OLN's (from what I've seen of it) just doesn't do it for me.
I would urge you to give it another shot, then, because they have been exceptional since the playoffs started, and it's basically the same crew anyhow (Ray Ferraro, Keith Jones, et. al.), it's just Bill Clement running the circus instead of Buccigross.

(They need to figure out a way to steal Melrose. Maybe when Barry figures out he's the bastard stepchild at ESPN, he'll jump.)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 10:20:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'118816\' date=\'May 18 2006, 07:56 AM\']
It's just too bad NBC's ratings weren't a bit better - but with the final four we've now got, they're probably pulling their hair out at the network offices.
[/quote]
Not necessarily.  Didn't they not pay a rights fee (it's all revenue sharing, and that's only if the network makes a profit)?

Sounds like no worse than a wash to me.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 12:17:44 PM »
I don't, but mostly because I hate Peter Karmanos and what he did to the good people of Hartford.

True, but I'd rather NOT have the Sabres win, and I think Carolina is the only team left that can beat them.  Besides, Colorado and Dallas have each won, and they are transplants from other cities.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2006, 01:35:07 PM »
Chris, you mentioned "Jonesy" as he's referred to here in the Philly area.  He's a solid studio analyst.  I like him working locally with Al Morganti on Comcast SportsNet.  Keith is a much better analyst than radio sidekick.  Here comes a game show reference...Keith Jones was tapped to replace Joe Conklin as the foil/sidekick for Angelo Cataldi's morning show on Sportsradio 610 WIP in Philly about 2 years ago.  Conklin was best known of course to you game show fans as probably an announcer for Nickelodeon's Finder's Keepers.  Keith sounds real dry on the radio and just isn't as funny.  Heck, his gimmick is being "Corn Boy", because he loves corn and actually sold it at a table at a Phillies game a season or two ago.

jalman

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118793\' date=\'May 17 2006, 10:54 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Line of the Day?!?  Somewhere on the Internet at an eariler time, I made a similar joke.  Heavy royalties are expected.

On second thought, I'll just whimper back into obscurity.  I'm still waiting for new episodes of Two-Minute Drill. (Yes, I know the show's long cancelled, but still...)

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
Be happy it gets two airings daily on ESPN Classic.  I just hope ESPN Classic rotates the lineup to include Sports Challenge again.  Vintage Enberg, OH MY!

GS Warehouse

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 07:38:48 PM »
Sorry for the delayed response.  My modem's been dropping my connection every 30 seconds over the last 36 hours. [mutters expletives toward Verizon]

[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'118758\' date=\'May 17 2006, 03:56 PM\']
None come close to the ESPN NHL theme -- one of the two best they've ever used. (The other being the original version of the Baseball Tonight theme)[/quote]Agreed, but I'd say ESPN's best theme was the Sunday night NFL theme before their coverage got ABC'd.

[quote name=\'SteveRep\' date=\'same post\']
OLN has been much better in the second half of the season and especially in the playoffs. The graphics are a big step forward. ...[/quote][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118763\' date=\'May 17 2006, 04:30 PM\']
I love how it took them an entire season to figure out that the reason most other channels that have covered hockey in the past have put their score/clock bars at the top of the screen is because THERE IS NO HOCKEY GOING ON UP THERE. :)[/quote]In OLN's defense, as ESPN's John Buccigross pointed out, OLN literally had only one month to put together all the aspects of their coverage.  It takes time to work out the kinks.  (I miss seeing Bucci on ESPN as well, but he still writes a weely column on ESPN.com during the season that I read regularly.)

[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'same post\']... I have the sinking feeling that Edmonton is gonna be one step closer [to a Buffalo-Edmonton final] at close of business tonight...

/go Sharks anyhow
[/quote]Now you know how I felt after the Oilers snuffed my Red Wings.  No wonder people are booing the Canadian national anthem.

clemon79

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2006, 07:52:38 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'118859\' date=\'May 18 2006, 04:38 PM\']
In OLN's defense, as ESPN's John Buccigross pointed out, OLN literally had only one month to put together all the aspects of their coverage.  It takes time to work out the kinks.  
[/quote]
Okay, but it doesn't take the ENTIRE REGULAR SEASON to figure out that your cameramen aren't giving you the headroom you need at the bottom of the picture, so maybe you need to move your graphic...