Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or No Deal this fall...  (Read 9499 times)

NickS

Deal or No Deal this fall...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 08:19:33 AM »
To be fair, Chris, NBC really has not given any promotion to the NHL; at least not until game 3 of the Cup starts in awhile.  I mean, that will be its first primetime exposure in a long, long while on NBC.  That, and isn't it on a Saturday?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 09:31:43 AM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'118717\' date=\'May 17 2006, 05:19 AM\']
To be fair, Chris, NBC really has not given any promotion to the NHL; at least not until game 3 of the Cup starts in awhile. [/quote]
I don't think that's true. I've seen plenty of ads for it. Granted, my ears perk up when I hear the theme, so I'm MORE likely to notice it than the average person, but I still think you hear what you want to hear.

I'm not defending NBC Sports as the perfect broadcast outlet, by any means, nor does it help that NBCSports.com simply redirects you to MSNBC's sports page instead of something custom for the network, but if I'm gonna toss the word "literally" around, I'm gonna do some homework and make sure I'm "literally" right first.
I mean that will be its first primetime exposure in a long, long while on NBC.  That, and isn't it on a Saturday?
Considering the entirety of NBC's hockey coverage has been on weekends, it would not surprise me at all to learn that the schedule has been engineered so that Game Three falls on a Saturday.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 12:36:49 PM »
If "Deal" comes back this fall, I won't be watching. They're already planning a final show with top prizes of $1m, $2,500,000 and $5m. If you thought the board was top-heavy before, you haven't seen anything yet. My main gripe is that they're stuffing 30 minutes of game into an hour of show.  If it were a compelling game, I'd put up with it, but it's just picking numbers.

If you haven't done so, get a BitTorrent program (I recommend muTorrent personally, but any will do). Then go to demonoid.com and look for Australia's Deal or No Deal. The show is played for $200,000, but it's expertly hosted, it moves at a good clip, and it shows that the game can be played for thousands of dollars, and not tens of thousands.

Haven't had enough? Go to uknova.com, and find "Deal or No Deal." 22 boxes, 250,000 GBP. It's a different way of arranging the same musical score.

There are at LEAST two English versions of the show that are better than the American version, and they can be enjoyed with a minimal amount of effort on your part. I implore you to give it a try. I did, and I got hooked.
Travis L. Eberle

cmjb13

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 12:44:16 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'118727\' date=\'May 17 2006, 12:36 PM\']
They're already planning a final show with top prizes of $1m, $2,500,000 and $5m.[/quote]
It's already in the can.

If you thought the board was top-heavy before, you haven't seen anything yet.
The appearance by Celine Dion is much worse.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 02:10:41 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'118730\' date=\'May 17 2006, 12:44 PM\']The appearance by Celine Dion is much worse.[/quote]
Ah, but can't you use that sentence in just about any context?

Meanwhile, I've finally decided that Deal or No Deal, at least in the US, is a game show that is not aimed at the game show audience, but I like it anyway.  So many things that it does defies the long-established tenets of our genre (drawn out reveals, mo' money, snail's pace).  When the host says that the best part of the show is watching the models enter in their pretty dresses, you gotta figure something is amiss in game show land.

Still, a ton of people are watching, so for everything they're doing wrong, they've stumbled onto doing something right as well, at least so far as attracting an audience is concerned.  If you're interested in the game, then absolutely, you are much better served by the Aussie or UK versions.  This is a case where I find the show entertaining, and I'm not going to be turned off by an occasional mo' money burp.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 02:22:03 PM »
Chris, you actually like that cheap theme they use for the NHL on NBC?  

The NHL has almost always been the 4th sport in these United States which is a shame because I too am a big fan and enjoy the new rule changes.  A lot more action in many respects and such are in play.

Outside of weekend programming, usually in the sports block, I really have seen little, if any, in the way of NHL promotional spots on the peacock.  I mean, I doubt you'll see a promo during Deal or No Deal.

On the matter of Deal or No Deal, I think the Monday/Friday rotation is perfect.  Bookending things with a little Deal or No Deal is a good thing...not too much overkill and considering NBC needs every bit of positive mojo it can get, it's a justifiable move to make it biweekly.

In summary: NHL on NBC - Good, Deal or No Deal twice weekly - Fine

clemon79

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'118748\' date=\'May 17 2006, 11:22 AM\']
Chris, you actually like that cheap theme they use for the NHL on NBC?  
[/quote]
Sure. It does exactly what it needs to do. When you're talking sports themes, all you really need is a single hook, a single sting. If you have that, your viewer associates that with the sport, and you're set. (Look at Fox, they have this down to a science with the NFL package, and to a lesser extent baseball.) The NHL on NBC theme _is_ a single sting, and doesn't try to clutter itself up with anything else.

Overall I've been very impressed with OLN and NBC's hockey coverage this year, and especially with OLN's rebound considering the rocky start they had. (The outdoor set at the 30 Rock ice rink that NBC had was genius, too, especially since it allowed the studio team to do actual demonstrations during intermissions.) If OLN builds the Versus rebranding around the hockey deal, they could really open some eyes in the fall.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 02:33:55 PM by clemon79 »

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 02:38:54 PM »
Eh we'll agree to disagree on the theme (probably composed by Freeplay Music which NBC has used very often).  The ABC NHL theme was a stronger sound for my taste.

I'll agree with you on the efforts though.  When you bring back "Doc" Emrick and John Davidson as your lead team, then bring in ex-CBCer Chris Cuthbert for the B team, you get credibility with your product.

Though I still preferred him as an analyst, Bill Clement as a studio host has been a pleasant surprise.

Hockey will probably never eclipse basketball for third on the pecking order of sports in this country, but the future holds some promise.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 02:56:06 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'118751\' date=\'May 17 2006, 01:38 PM\']
Though I still preferred him as an analyst, Bill Clement as a studio host has been a pleasant surprise.
[/quote]
I agree.  Clement's also been a pleasant surprise when NBC has asked him to do their "Sports Update" wraps (voicing baseball, NBA and other sports highlights).  But I do miss him on actual games (I know Chris L. will say what he will on ESPN's coverage and how much he didn't like it [I did, but that's all a matter of taste]--but I thought Thorne and Clement were a terrific announce team).

Doug
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 03:06:39 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2006, 03:09:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'118752\' date=\'May 17 2006, 11:56 AM\']
(I know Chris L. will say what he will on ESPN's coverage and how much he didn't like it--but I thought Thorne and Clement were a terrific announce team).
[/quote]
I think you'll be surprised. I really liked Thorne and Clement too (aside from Thorne's tendency to mispronounce Marcus Ragnarsson's name), and I do miss NHL 2 Night something awful. My main issue is with how The Mouse as a whole treated the sport as a third-class citizen when they pretty much had network television exclusivity on it.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2006, 03:21:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118754\' date=\'May 17 2006, 02:09 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'118752\' date=\'May 17 2006, 11:56 AM\']
(I know Chris L. will say what he will on ESPN's coverage and how much he didn't like it--but I thought Thorne and Clement were a terrific announce team).
[/quote]
I think you'll be surprised. I really liked Thorne and Clement too (aside from Thorne's tendency to mispronounce Marcus Ragnarsson's name), and I do miss NHL 2 Night something awful. My main issue is with how The Mouse as a whole treated the sport as a third-class citizen when they pretty much had network television exclusivity on it.
[/quote]
Point taken.  Sorry for inferring otherwise.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SteveRep

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2006, 03:56:46 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'118751\' date=\'May 17 2006, 02:38 PM\']
Eh we'll agree to disagree on the theme (probably composed by Freeplay Music which NBC has used very often).  The ABC NHL theme was a stronger sound for my taste.[/quote]
None come close to the ESPN NHL theme -- one of the two best they've ever used. (The other being the original version of the Baseball Tonight theme)

OLN has been much better in the second half of the season and especially in the playoffs. The graphics are a big step forward. I thought it was neat to see the CBC coverage of the late-night games from Calgary and Edmonton (no one does hockey better than HNiC .. no one). Just wish we could have seen some of Don Cherry in between periods.

The one thing I know that's happening at 30 Rock .... they're praying to whatever deity they believe in that the SCF is not Buffalo vs. Edmonton.

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2006, 04:30:29 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'118758\' date=\'May 17 2006, 12:56 PM\']
OLN has been much better in the second half of the season and especially in the playoffs. The graphics are a big step forward.
[/quote]
I love how it took them an entire season to figure out that the reason most other channels that have covered hockey in the past have put their score/clock bars at the top of the screen is because THERE IS NO HOCKEY GOING ON UP THERE. :)
I thought it was neat to see the CBC coverage of the late-night games from Calgary and Edmonton (no one does hockey better than HNiC .. no one). Just wish we could have seen some of Don Cherry in between periods.
I caught some crap at a barbecue this weekend for forwarding the opinion that I don't really care for Bob Cole and Harry Neale. Never have. Must be a Canadian thing. Might be because usually when I see them, they're calling the Toronto game, and I loathe the Maple Leafs. ALWAYS loved the night crew, though, especially the rise of Kelly Hrudey, who might be one of the all-time nicest guys I have ever met.

Denying the US audience Coach's Corner during first intermission is just a crime. Thank Glub I can just watch CBC outright and get Ronnie Mac and Grapes for the whole night.

I also caught some crap for this: I firmly believe one of the very smartest things Versus could do would be to go to the CBC and license the US broadcast rights to HNiC and air it, in its entirety, on Saturday nights. Just grab it wholesale, and insert their own spot breaks. It would be a solid seven-plus hours (assuming they also grabbed Saturday Night and After Hours) they wouldn't have to produce that would be full to the gills with big-league programming, and I bet they could get it reasonably cheap.
The one thing I know that's happening at 30 Rock .... they're praying to whatever deity they believe in that the SCF is not Buffalo vs. Edmonton.
Well, them and me both, although I have the sinking feeling that Edmonton is gonna be one step closer at close of business tonight...

/go Sharks anyhow

SteveRep

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2006, 04:53:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118763\' date=\'May 17 2006, 04:30 PM\']
ALWAYS loved the night crew, though, especially the rise of Kelly Hrudey, who might be one of the all-time nicest guys I have ever met.[/quote]
What's funny to me on that one is hearing the same voice I've heard only when playing EA Sports' NHL hockey game doing a live game -- same intonations, same characteristics. I felt I needed a controller in my hand.

mmb5

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2006, 04:54:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118749\' date=\'May 17 2006, 02:30 PM\']
Sure. It does exactly what it needs to do. When you're talking sports themes, all you really need is a single hook, a single sting. If you have that, your viewer associates that with the sport, and you're set. (Look at Fox, they have this down to a science with the NFL package, and to a lesser extent baseball.) The NHL on NBC theme _is_ a single sting, and doesn't try to clutter itself up with anything else.
[/quote]

Now that we're veering way off topic, I'll just mention that the NHL on NBC theme is a John Tesh special.  And Chris, you probably didn't hear Cole/Neale 15 years ago when they were much more on their game.  Same way that MacLean/Cherry was much better 15 years ago as well.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.