Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst TPiR ever  (Read 17628 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 09:55:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'118055\' date=\'May 9 2006, 05:28 AM\']
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'118052\' date=\'May 9 2006, 07:54 AM\']
The bought tacky expensive prizes because thing is the show here as the reputation of prizes beeing tat, and always will be.
[/quote]

Translation, please?
[/quote]
I think he's saying that the rep Price has overseas is that the prizes have always been cheesy, and since (based on what I'm gathering from this thread) they're kinda going for parody with this version, the prizes are intentionally tacky.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brig Bother

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 09:55:49 AM »
No that really is his voice. Joe Pasquale won I'm A Celebrity... two years ago (a hugely popular show over here, hosted by Ant and Dec of Gameshow Marathon fame) and this is the first vehicle they've found for him.

tvwxman

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 10:00:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'118062\' date=\'May 9 2006, 09:55 AM\']
No that really is his voice. Joe Pasquale won I'm A Celebrity... two years ago (a hugely popular show over here, hosted by Ant and Dec of Gameshow Marathon fame) and this is the first vehicle they've found for him.
[/quote]
The first vehicle they should have found for him was a car driving far away from the studio.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

remlap

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 10:42:51 AM »
I dont get really why so many of you really care,  I understand you think its sh*ting on US version.

Leave it be what it is tacky, and I like it like that because Im happy we have PiR back here whatever the set might be like, the host, the prizes and games played.

Its much better than having reruns from Granada or Carlton archive which we where having before yesterday.

zachhoran

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 10:55:55 AM »
[quote name=\'dougal18\' post=\'118046\' date=\'May 9 2006, 06:02 AM\']
When the Plinko disc getting stuck is the highlight of the episode you know you are in trouble.  

Has the US version ever had a Showcase valued at 4 figures?
[/quote]

The last showcase under $10,000 on the US version I can remember was in the 1993-94 season. The player's final total was $9900 and change(they'd won their one-bid item but not their on-stage pricing game), and I can remember how cheap that seemed back then. SHowcases under $10,000 were the norm in the 70s and into the mid 80s.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:58:14 AM by zachhoran »

Matt Ottinger

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 11:03:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'118059\' date=\'May 9 2006, 09:49 AM\']They've clearly gone for the ironic angle for the show. Just listen to the voiceovers! I think the show's main problem is that it isn't silly enough.[/quote]
I agree, and I think a lot of the US criticism is coming from people who either don't get or don't like the fact that they've chosen this approach.  It's only a travesty if you're expecting something that hews closer to the Bob Barker version (as Brucie did), and that's clearly not what they wanted to do.

Still, while ironic detachment is something you guys are better at than we are, it's a tricky thing to pull off in this genre.  The best I've ever seen at being an engaging show while still pointing out the absurdities of the genre has always been the UK Don't Forget Your Toothbrush, but that was more of a variety show than a game anyway.  When you're playing a real game, it's hard to pull off "we know we're making a stupid, tacky show" when all the audience sees is "stupid, tacky show".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 11:13:07 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'118068\' date=\'May 9 2006, 07:42 AM\']
I dont get really why so many of you really care,  I understand you think its sh*ting on US version.

Leave it be what it is tacky, and I like it like that because Im happy we have PiR back here whatever the set might be like, the host, the prizes and games played.

Its much better than having reruns from Granada or Carlton archive which we where having before yesterday.
[/quote]
Don't take it personally. Realize that trying to parodize the Holy Church Of Barker is about the biggest offense you can perpetrate upon the TPiR fanbois.

I'd be interesting in knowing if pickles are being crapped over at Golden Road, for sure. :)

remlap

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118071\' date=\'May 9 2006, 04:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'118068\' date=\'May 9 2006, 07:42 AM\']

[/quote]
Don't take it personally. Realize that trying to parodize the Holy Church Of Barker is about the biggest offense you can perpetrate upon the TPiR fanbois.

I'd be interesting in knowing if pickles are being crapped over at Golden Road, for sure. :)
[/quote]

Im a Barker fanboi, its the reason I started to like PiR is because of the US version airing here on and off in the early 90's.

But I still get why its over the top, and golden-road seems to have less the uproar than the posts here.

This show is in no-way as wild and as tacky as Cash en Carlo was in Holland.

curtking

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 11:30:36 AM »
Based on the exchange rate, this was an $18K+ showcase.

Curt
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 11:31:03 AM by curtking »

urbanpreppie05

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 11:33:20 AM »
THE OK
The theme and set are nice. It fits the moderness that they are trying to convey, and it does kinda work.

Joe (ignoring his annoying voice) is not a bad host. He's new...he could get better with time.

The prizes are definatly cheaper than Bruce's, but with roughly HALF the budget, that's expected.

Peter Dickson, sounding great as usual.

The not-so OK
The asian-themed Plinko. WHY? I don't get it?

The "joke" prizes for Swap...I'm not sure this was meant to be a parody, but it came off as a giant joke that no one was really in on.

The showcase main prize. Huh?

It seems to me that the right elements are there, but it's definatley missing the hominess of Crowther's version and the glamour of Bruce's version.
It is however, an interesting interpretation.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'118043\' date=\'May 9 2006, 04:32 AM\']
All I want to know is what's with 1) the Come on Down sign in the audience, and 2) Bruce Lee Plinko?

Chris C., do you get royalties for "Switch" making it across the pond, even if it is "Swap"? :-P
[/quote]

1. If I'm correct, it's a throwback to the Giant Come on Down signs in the Crowther and Warman versions.

2. I have NO idea. This is the only thing that bothered me.
insert signature here

MikeK

• Martha!
Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 11:53:55 AM »
The opinions I've read here and on G-R's board are polarized by region--Europeans/Brits think this show is at least tolerable, while most people on the North American side of the Atlantic think it's utter crap.

[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'118052\' date=\'May 9 2006, 07:54 AM\']Great one guys judging it on the first episode.[/quote]
So it's wrong to base one's opinion on a first impression?

As the esteemed Mr. Lambert previously said, if Brucie's version wasn't the epitome of glitz and class, then this might be tolerable.  Instead, this is an absolute joke compared to what came from the UK within the last decade.

Cleanse your palate with the Bert's Feud clip.  That is beautiful to watch.

(This means I'm at least temporarily off the hook for Malcolm...right?)

Jeremy Nelson

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 11:58:30 AM »
It's just that...well...after doing a Game Show Marathon, I expected a more traditional version. However, I think this angle just might work.

I loved the Feud clip. The cash bonus behind one of the answers is a very good idea.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:08:54 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Brandon Brooks

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 12:09:06 PM »
I sincerely hope that Fremantle doesn't get any ideas about bring the elements of that crapfest over here.

BPiR was amazing, this is just annoying.

Brandon Brooks

EDIT: Just saw Bert's FF.  Made me get un-irritated quickly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 12:13:58 PM by Brandon Brooks »

clemon79

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 12:14:03 PM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'118072\' date=\'May 9 2006, 08:24 AM\']
But I still get why its over the top, and golden-road seems to have less the uproar than the posts here.
[/quote]
Well, that's a refreshing change. :)
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'118074\' date=\'May 9 2006, 08:33 AM\']
The asian-themed Plinko. WHY? I don't get it?
[/quote]
Does NOBODY realize that "Plinko" is a simplification of "pachinko"?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 12:36:18 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'118069\' date=\'May 9 2006, 09:55 AM\']
The last showcase under $10,000 on the US version I can remember was in the 1993-94 season. The player's final total was $9900 and change(they'd won their one-bid item but not their on-stage pricing game).[/quote]
Turn off the TV, go down to Sbarro, and buy a slice of pizza.  Good GRIEF.
Great one guys judging it on the first episode.
And why not?  If I'm interviewing someone, and then come in with a "TOP TEN REASONS TO CHUG BEER SHIRT" and cut-off jean shorts, I'm sure as hell not going to give them another interview.
First impressions mean everything.
Nah, last I checked, they were complaining about another price increase with Hot Pockets.
--Mark
Phil 4:13