Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Worst TPiR ever  (Read 17443 times)

Casey Buck

Worst TPiR ever
« on: May 09, 2006, 03:37:11 AM »
Check out Mike Klauss' video page, the first new clip.

Um, wow. It's an insult to the TPiR name.

On the bright side, there's also a clip from Bert's Family Feud further down, if you want to recover from that train-wreck.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:39:30 AM by Casey Buck »

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:47:12 AM »
What......the hell? That's my opinion. A horrific, farcical travesty of a show.  

Joe Pasquale = really annoying Austin Powers-just-sucked-the-helium-out-of-a ballon-sounding host.
Or maybe the late hour is getting to me on that one.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 03:51:32 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

BrandonFG

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 04:32:44 AM »
All I want to know is what's with 1) the Come on Down sign in the audience, and 2) Bruce Lee Plinko?

Chris C., do you get royalties for "Switch" making it across the pond, even if it is "Swap"? :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 04:42:24 AM »
I tried.  I made it 1:45 before hitting the little black "X" in the corner.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dougal18

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 06:02:24 AM »
When the Plinko disc getting stuck is the highlight of the episode you know you are in trouble.  

Has the US version ever had a Showcase valued at 4 figures?

BrandonFG

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:06:45 AM »
[quote name=\'dougal18\' post=\'118046\' date=\'May 9 2006, 06:02 AM\']
Has the US version ever had a Showcase valued at 4 figures?
[/quote]
You mean, after, say, 1981?

JOKE.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Brig Bother

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 06:33:59 AM »
Well you're quite happy to mess up all our formats, so I think it's only fair, really.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 07:05:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'118048\' date=\'May 9 2006, 03:33 AM\']
Well you're quite happy to mess up all our formats, so I think it's only fair, really.
[/quote]I think we did quite OK with "Millionaire," and you guys botched "Pyramid" something fierce, so I would put it closer to a wash, really. When you consider we gave you "Blockbusters," I think the Yankees are ahead by quite a bit, even.
Travis L. Eberle

tvwxman

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 07:30:14 AM »
I spent 6 hours downloading that yesterday. I want my time back.

It's not that I didn't like it, its just that I was shocked at why they would "modernize" Bruce's version for this , by 1:cheapening the prizes , 2:cheapining the set, and 3:(un)intentionally offending stereotypes -  Chinese Plinko? WHat the hell was that?

I miss Bruce's PIR...and I would imagine the majority of the UK would agree
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

remlap

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 07:54:36 AM »
Great one guys judging it on the first episode.

I much prefer episode two over one, Take 2 for example nice new game board, so was any number.

I just wish Americans wouldnt judge it to the US versions, Plinko was well horride im sure there was a few complaints to ofcom who will no doubt ignore it.

Its just panto inspired 2nd episode the showcase was won, and music clearly inspired by panto was played.

The set is modern yes and bright yes it suites Joe, the prizes are cheap because its daily with a budget of £25,000 now thats not that much less than BPiR had weekly even with inflation!

The bought tacky expensive prizes because thing is the show here as the reputation of prizes beeing tat, and always will be.

Id love to see what you lot think of Cash En Carlo
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:03:38 AM by remlap »

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 08:17:49 AM »
I guess I might've been more prepared for a campy take on Price if they hadn't screwed up a few years ago and made Brucie's version brilliant.

I like the graphics and the energy, though. I'm going to try to find some way to keep watching (wink wink nudge nudge say no more), because I might still find it more entertaining than what Barker's doing these days (then again, foreign games tend to get an extra cool point fom me regardless).
@lambertman

Don Howard

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 08:27:27 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'118049\' date=\'May 9 2006, 07:05 AM\']
When you consider we gave you "Blockbusters," I think the Yankees are ahead by quite a bit, even.
[/quote]
At least overseas, many of those shows are still on the air.

Clay Zambo

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 08:28:09 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' post=\'118052\' date=\'May 9 2006, 07:54 AM\']
The bought tacky expensive prizes because thing is the show here as the reputation of prizes beeing tat, and always will be.
[/quote]

Translation, please?
czambo@mac.com

Brig Bother

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 09:49:46 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'118053\' date=\'May 9 2006, 01:17 PM\']
I guess I might've been more prepared for a campy take on Price if they hadn't screwed up a few years ago and made Brucie's version brilliant.

I like the graphics and the energy, though. I'm going to try to find some way to keep watching (wink wink nudge nudge say no more), because I might still find it more entertaining than what Barker's doing these days (then again, foreign games tend to get an extra cool point fom me regardless).
[/quote]

I've just watched the first episode, I think this sums up the show pretty nicely.

They've clearly gone for the ironic angle for the show. Just listen to the voiceovers! I think the show's main problem is that it isn't silly enough.

In answer to Clay's question, despite the truth that our version actually gave away huge and pretty good  prizes for the time (in actual fact the original Crowther version was told off for breaking the limits on the amount that you were allowed to give away on a show), people seem to have a memory that what it actually gave away was pretty tatty and "novelty". That explains the silliness and novelty of a lot of the prizes of this version. They are, in effect, playing up to the false nostalgia.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:50:47 AM by Brig Bother »

Shredder

Worst TPiR ever
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 09:50:20 AM »
I'm watching the Brit Price now.  I just can't get past the host.  It sounds like he's playing a character and is really hard to understand.   The audience looks....well, like they'd rather be somewhere else :).

Any clips of the 'better' version that this one replaced?