Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC tape question  (Read 16529 times)

tvwxman

NBC tape question
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2006, 12:33:19 PM »
Saw the show 3 years ago. Don was there , doing 'part' of the warmup, sharing duties with a younger comedian (at his age, who isn't younger?)....

That led me to believe that he did the announce live, since he was there.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Adam Nedeff

NBC tape question
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2006, 12:33:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'117801\' date=\'May 5 2006, 12:17 PM\']
I could swear I've heard mistakes in the intro this season, which led me to believe he was still doing them live.
[/quote]

Yes, Don Pardo is still live for SNL, although I'm not sure how long he sticks around (they have a different announcer doing promotional plugs after the musical guest, which makes me think Don does the opening and calls it a night).

They've phased out the inspired sign-offs that Don did during the first decade of the show ("This is Don Pardo saying I'm so very lonely in this announcers booth. Johnny Olson, if you're still awake, please give me a call! Goodniiii-iiiight...") mainly because the credits get chopped off in the live broadcast anyway. Also, in the first five years, he did a fake pre-emption notice at the start of each episode ("Charlie's Angels Get Syphillis" will not air tonight...) They also used him for skits all the time in the golden days ("Waiting for Pardo," "The Don Pardo Story," etc.) but that's been wiped too. I don't know if it's the natural progression of things or a specific request from someone, but Don's not nearly as involved in the show as he used to be.

About once a year it seems they will use him in some extra capacity. Don kicked Johnny Knoxville in the groin during his monologue in 2005. In 2004, a sketch ended with him laying in bed next to Jimmy Fallon and Chris Parnell. And that's what Don Pardo's been up to, for all you game show fans who don't watch Saturday Night Live.

uncamark

NBC tape question
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2006, 12:47:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'117809\' date=\'May 5 2006, 11:33 AM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'117801\' date=\'May 5 2006, 12:17 PM\']
I could swear I've heard mistakes in the intro this season, which led me to believe he was still doing them live.
[/quote]

Yes, Don Pardo is still live for SNL, although I'm not sure how long he sticks around (they have a different announcer doing promotional plugs after the musical guest, which makes me think Don does the opening and calls it a night).

They've phased out the inspired sign-offs that Don did during the first decade of the show ("This is Don Pardo saying I'm so very lonely in this announcers booth. Johnny Olson, if you're still awake, please give me a call! Goodniiii-iiiight...") mainly because the credits get chopped off in the live broadcast anyway. Also, in the first five years, he did a fake pre-emption notice at the start of each episode ("Charlie's Angels Get Syphillis" will not air tonight...) They also used him for skits all the time in the golden days ("Waiting for Pardo," "The Don Pardo Story," etc.) but that's been wiped too. I don't know if it's the natural progression of things or a specific request from someone, but Don's not nearly as involved in the show as he used to be.[/quote]

"This is has-been Don Pardo--uh, this has-been is Don Pardo--uh, this has been Don Pardo and it always will be--by the way, I'm speaking to you stark naked!  Good niiiight!"

Some writers always felt that Pardo blew too many lines--notorious perfectionist Michael O'Donoghue was the most vocal about that and got Pardo taken off in 1981 for Mel Brandt.  One year later, with O'Donoghue fired for the combination of the Fear "riot" and the unshot sketch "Fred Silverman in the Bunker," Dick Ebersol brought Pardo back and he hasn't left since.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NBC tape question
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2006, 12:59:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'117809\' date=\'May 5 2006, 09:33 AM\']
About once a year it seems they will use him in some extra capacity. Don kicked Johnny Knoxville in the groin during his monologue in 2005.
[/quote]
TELL me this is on YouTube.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

NBC tape question
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2006, 02:10:32 PM »
More recently, Pardo was "fixed up" with Mary Alice, the unseen narrator of Desperate Housewives, during Eva Longoria's monologue.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

NBC tape question
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2006, 06:27:41 PM »
..and didn't Don have a tiny bit in the 4/29 all TV Funhouse show? Wasn't that Don leaning out an office window, calling out for Ace and Gary to take him with them when they flew off at show's end?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 06:28:26 PM by The Ol' Guy »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
NBC tape question
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2006, 07:41:45 PM »
We heard from Don Pardo almost two years ago when he delivered an audio tribute to Bill Cullen at the Game Show Congreff. He apologized for some minor laryngitis on the tape but sounded positively vibrant to my ears.

trainman

NBC tape question
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2006, 10:56:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'117809\' date=\'May 5 2006, 09:33 AM\']Yes, Don Pardo is still live for SNL, although I'm not sure how long he sticks around (they have a different announcer doing promotional plugs after the musical guest, which makes me think Don does the opening and calls it a night).[/quote]

When he messes up the live intro, it gets fixed for the West Coast feed.  I like to picture them punishing him by making him wait around until 1:00 to do the re-record, but I have a feeling it gets done earlier than that -- during the first commercial break, I would assume.
trainman is a man of trains

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

NBC tape question
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2006, 12:23:15 PM »
I have heard that Mr. Pardo lives in Arizona now, and NBC flies him in each week to do SNL.

And yes, that was Don in the closing segment for the "Best of TV Funhouse" episode last week.  As The Ambiguously Gay Duo were flying away, Don runs into the room, yelling "Take me with you!!"  Lorne Michaels turns to him and says, "Don, go back to your booth."  Head down, Don turns around and slinks off.

[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'117863\' date=\'May 5 2006, 10:56 PM\']
When he messes up the live intro, it gets fixed for the West Coast feed.  I like to picture them punishing him by making him wait around until 1:00 to do the re-record, but I have a feeling it gets done earlier than that -- during the first commercial break, I would assume.
[/quote]

I imagine.  The recent messup that, for some reason, sticks in my head, was when he was supposed to say "Will Forte" he starts to say "Will FERRELL" but his mike is cut off and all we hear is FERR.

The only other time I hear his voice on the show is for the voiceover announcement for the host/musical guest for the next week's program midway into the show.  Is that done live or recorded and laid over the live applause?
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

ChuckNet

NBC tape question
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2006, 11:12:19 PM »
That doesn't explain, however, why Dealer's Choice is still "lost" when FF exists.

Perhaps an ownership dispute stemming from that first half-season, which had an independent distributor and no involvement from Columbia?

I want to think that Proctor & Gamble wanted some record of their own show for posterity.....what they got that day was an eventual 4-day aircheck of a historic event, as ATWT was interrupted 10 minutes into the broadcast for that CBS News bulletin slide and Cronkite's voice delivering the first reports on the shooting of President Kennedy.

Incidentally, that ATWT ep was recently posted on World of Soap Themes' bonus page...unfortunately, you now have to be a subscriber and pay a yearly fee to be able to view any such material there.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 11:12:48 PM by ChuckNet »

tvrandywest

NBC tape question
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2006, 04:46:53 AM »
I'm just back from 8H. Don does indeed do the announce live for SNL. He's in a fully enclosed and rather roomy booth at the rear left of the studio. He has a sport jacket and three ties hanging on a hook in the booth. I assume he only wears one tie at any given time   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

tvrandywest

NBC tape question
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2006, 12:25:22 PM »
Now to the topic of our lost television heritage...

Kudos to twoinchquad for accuracy in his earlier post.

Here's a thorough overview of the state of TV archiving, including specific information from the big 3 networks and studios: http://www.loc.gov/film/tvstudy.html

Read this for more discussion of CBS and ABC news archives, as well as technical information about tape preservation and restoration (Kitty Carlisle Hart is part of this discusion): http://www.loc.gov/film/hrng96ny.html

Edie Adams "tells it as it is" here: http://www.loc.gov/film/hrng96la.html. You'll love her story of the destruction of the DuMont library. " ... three huge semis back up to the loading dock at ABC, filled them all with stored kinescopes and 2" videotapes, drove them to a waiting barge in New Jersey, took them out on the water, made a right at the Statue of Liberty and dumped them in the Upper New York Bay. "
This site also includes statements from all the major studios, as well as a history of video recording. "... The Ampex VR-1000 was introduced in Chicago at the National Association of Radio and Television Broadcasters Conference on April 14, 1956.  At the NAB Conference, Ampex sold 90 machines at a cost of $50,000 each, for a total of $4.5 million, which wasn't bad for a small company in those days... The first on-air broadcast of videotaped material occurred on November 30, 1956, with the CBS Douglas Edwards evening news broadcast.  The show was time-delayed by using videotape recorders in each time zone.  And that's why the Ampex marketing people had a limited vision of how many tape recorders would be sold.  They thought it would only be used for time delay, not for anything else."

And the site has the story of the Goodson-Todman shows and CBS' "Jurassic Park". "CBS entered into a contract with Mark Goodson Productions to transfer their entire library of approximately 34,000 programs from their current formats, which consisted of 16mm kinescopes, 2" and 1" videotape, to serial digital betacam format... Over 34,637 shows were transferred.  Approximately 2700 of these programs originated on kinescope.  The rest were transfers all from videotape originals. None of the tapes in the Goodson collection had been stored in what anyone would call "proper" videotape storage environments.  They were basically stored in "furniture" warehouses where the temperature and humidity changed along with the weather.  There was even a rumor that about 8,000 of the tapes were stored on pallets covered in black plastic, on the back lot of one of the other studios in town, for several years."

Somewhere I also have a list of what specific shows are stored in the Library of Congress. But that must wait for another day.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 12:28:30 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

NBC tape question
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2006, 01:57:41 PM »
Interesting reading.  I think a quote from the report in Randy's first link bears mentioning:

"While the general public identifies these programs with the networks that broadcast them, the studios in fact produced them, own the underlying rights, and ultimately are responsible for their preservation."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

NBC tape question
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2006, 02:53:55 PM »
What amused me:

"This is a plain, ASCII version of the report. Eventually, this document will be converted to html format and footnote text will be added and linked to the footnote numbers."

In other words, the story about TV archiving is itself in an older, poorer-quality format and needs to be converted to a more modern standard.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

NBC tape question
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2006, 03:05:29 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'117936\' date=\'May 7 2006, 11:25 AM\']
Read this for more discussion of CBS and ABC news archives, as well as technical information about tape preservation and restoration (Kitty Carlisle Hart is part of this discusion): http://www.loc.gov/film/hrng96ny.html[/quote]

Not to mention "IGAS" announcer John Cannon and staffer Judy Crichton.

And we have to admire Edie Adams' foresight to be able to preserve as much of her husband's classic work as she could.