Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: King World/Sony to create new game show block  (Read 28552 times)

TimK2003

King World/Sony to create new game show block
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2006, 08:02:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'116599\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 11:31 AM\']
In my post about bringing back "The Big Showdown," I only mentioned a million because that seems to be the current "magic number" to get a show sold. Plus, the top prize was given away only twice out of 130 or so shows.  128 times it was not won, but it was always possible. Heck, I'd like TBS back even if they made the bonus roll for $10.00.  Of course, that would not be any kind of incentive for anyone to go on the show.
[/quote]

Here's a way to incorporate a $1M prize for TBS:

A roll of SHOW and DOWN on the first attempt gives them $10K.

The contestant may elect to keep the $10K, or give it up for a second roll:

•  A SHOW and DOWN on the second roll would give them $1,000,000 (nearly the same longshot odds as a perfect win in Plinko).

•  If the contestant rolls anything else, take the point total of the dice and multiply it by $1,000  (contestant could win anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000)...Multiply the point roll total by *$5000* if either SHOW or DOWN is rolled (now contestant has a shot to win up to $25,000).

•  If a contestant does not roll SHOW and DOWN on the first roll, the bonus game then plays the same as the original game ($5,000 top prize + $250 for each time the payoff point is rolled).

Well within the budget, and there is a risk factor involved should a contestant nail SHOWDOWN on their first roll.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2006, 08:33:13 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'116681\' date=\'Apr 20 2006, 03:42 PM\']
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'116644\' date=\'Apr 20 2006, 03:30 AM\']
I've got a hankering for putting $25,000 in a planeful of snakes. and you know what I'll call it...

"snakes on a [$25,000] plane"[/quote]
That show already exists.  It's called Fear Factor, and you didn't mention they have to eat the snakes' reproductive organs too.

[/quote]

I'm not a fan of Fear factor, you see, that's why I've neglected to even mention it. Hell, for all I care, I can make it "The $25,000 snakes on a plane", but whatever. Get Sam Jackson (mmmmmmmmmmmmm-mmmm!) to host, a couple of the Deal models to be the stewardesses, and some guy to pilot the damn thing.
And no, you don't have to eat the snakes, you just have to sit on a trans-atlantic flight with a planeful of posionous ones. Object's simple: You don't die, you win $25,000 (or $50K during sweeps month). =p

Realistically, I'd put my vote in for Ceasar's Challenge since I think its a little underrated in the 90's, and it would fit into the glitz of Vegas.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 08:35:39 PM by Strikerz04 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2006, 08:45:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'116697\' date=\'Apr 20 2006, 05:02 PM\']
Here's a way to incorporate a $1M prize for TBS:
[/quote]
First, I think you should be the one to walk out on stage and explain this thing to a thoroughly confused viewership.

That said: again, your million pays off once every 4.98 YEARS. And THAT assumes that everyone who hits the 10K goes for it.

Should the person hit the 1 in 36 shot, 10 of the 36 possible combinations (if I worked it out right) on that second roll DON'T lose them money. Three of those 10 are break-even, as well. And the main incentive for trying, it bears repeating, only pays off ONCE EVERY FIVE YEARS.
Well within the budget, and there is a risk factor involved should a contestant nail SHOWDOWN on their first roll.
I'll say.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2006, 09:27:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'116640\' date=\'Apr 20 2006, 01:28 AM\']
"You've just won $7700 for winning in an exciting series of tie games. Now let's face the dragon for an extra thou plus an assortment of prizes you neither need nor want. Smile and jog on over!!"
[/quote]

HEY! Don't be dissin' The Dessert of the Month Club and The Sharper Image 50th Anniversary Catalog! :)

BTW, does The Big Showdown really need a $1M payoff? Perhaps up the payoffs to $25K for the first roll ShowDown and $10K for a ShowDown after that to offset inflation.

I'd honestly like to see Temptation/$ale of the Century brought back, but that would be Fremantle and not Sony. Pity.
*Indecipherable screaming*

ChuckNet

« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »
H2's ratings did not improve in the post-Whoopi era, so I wouldn't say it was starting to catch on when it was axed.

Really? Thought I read that H2's ratings were improving following Whoopi's departure...IIRC, the ratings plummet coincided w/her final season and the intro of that God-awful 60-sec. Q&A endgame.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

tvwxman

« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2006, 05:22:50 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'116814\' date=\'Apr 22 2006, 05:11 PM\']
H2's ratings did not improve in the post-Whoopi era, so I wouldn't say it was starting to catch on when it was axed.

Really? Thought I read that H2's ratings were improving following Whoopi's departure...IIRC, the ratings plummet coincided w/her final season and the intro of that God-awful 60-sec. Q&A endgame.
[/quote]
A brillllliant move : "Hey, we're going to ignore the celebrities and the jokes and make Hollywood Squares a big money trivia show!"

And, in answer to the ratings question : They really didn't go up during the final 2 years, but rather, leveled off....When they slashed the bonus round for year 6, the overall profit margin for the show went up, cause the spending budget went down...

But in the land of nielsen, no one cares about the profit margin only. Otherwise, What's My Line would be still on at 10:30pm
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Neumms

« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2006, 06:20:53 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'116697\' date=\'Apr 20 2006, 07:02 PM\']
•  A SHOW and DOWN on the second roll would give them $1,000,000 (nearly the same longshot odds as a perfect win in Plinko).
[/quote]

This sparked an idea--take the front game from Big Showdown and have the winner play Plinko. People on the street have heard of that.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2006, 06:43:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'116816\' date=\'Apr 22 2006, 03:20 PM\']
This sparked an idea--take the front game from Big Showdown and have the winner play Plinko. People on the street have heard of that.
[/quote]
I'm thinking you're sparking something else if you think that's really a good idea. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2006, 11:55:45 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'116816\' date=\'Apr 22 2006, 06:20 PM\']
[/quote]
They've also heard of diaper rash.
Pair The Big Showdown with The Who, What Or Where Game.
We could do far worse than The Greenberg Hour.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 11:56:14 AM by Don Howard »

wheelloon

« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2006, 04:41:36 PM »
Question, does anybody have any REAL idea when Sony/KW will announce what these 2 games are, and when they will go searching for contestants?

Also, would it seem to be an appropriate guess that, if these two shows do make for the next season, they will premiere the same week as the new seasons of WOF and J!?
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2006, 05:06:50 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'116854\' date=\'Apr 23 2006, 04:41 PM\']
Question, does anybody have any REAL idea when Sony/KW will announce what these 2 games are, and when they will go searching for contestants?

Also, would it seem to be an appropriate guess that, if these two shows do make for the next season, they will premiere the same week as the new seasons of WOF and J!?
[/quote]

What's the hurry?  The shows won't be on until fall 2007. They've got a year and a half to iron out the details.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 05:07:18 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

NickS

« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2006, 05:27:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'116856\' date=\'Apr 23 2006, 04:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'116854\' date=\'Apr 23 2006, 04:41 PM\']

[/quote]

What's the hurry?  The shows won't be on until fall 2007. They've got a year and a half to iron out the details.
[/quote]

The hurry is that with distributors going for renewals, etc. and with NBC deciding to launch Deal for '07, Sony's trying to strike while the iron is hot.

King World likes to get its stuff wrapped up early, too, so they've got that going for them as well.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2006, 05:32:01 PM »
Let's hope the iron is still hot a year and a half from now.  The pessimist in me doesn't think these shows will ever air.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2006, 07:30:43 PM »
I acknowledge this is all speculation and that I need some sleep, but my $.02

FWIW, I just found an ATGS article from Feb. 97 speculating on Hollywood Squares (a *Planet* Hollywood Squares project), and that turned out okay, considering HS didn't premiere til Sept. 98.

Maybe KW is trying to get everything ironed out for NATPE...I know it's nine months off, just sayin...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Brig Bother

« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2006, 06:58:58 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'116589\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 03:12 PM\']

If that's so, and it makes it to air, and at ANY POINT it has the host offering a contestant a lesser prize to quit the game, asking them if they want to "Take It Or Leave It", I'd like to think it would get laughed off the air as being completely derivative.

Unfortunately, I don't have that much confidence in the American viewing public.
[/quote]

You may find this illuminating.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'116626\' date=\'Apr 20 2006, 01:04 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'116622\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 05:31 PM\']Does anyone think one of the versions of Play the Percentages could work?[/quote]
I think in theory, there's a solid idea behind a quiz game in which the questions have been tested by a sample group and you get more points for answering questions that fewer people knew.  Still, there wasn't a version of PtP I enjoyed.
[/quote]

We've done this already.

Keep up!