Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: King World/Sony to create new game show block  (Read 28543 times)

trainman

King World/Sony to create new game show block
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2006, 11:53:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'116574\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 07:45 PM\']That said, if you can come up with an interesting game show based on Catan that isn't hopelessly confusing to the viewers, I'll eat a hat.
[/quote]

And in the current regulatory climate, will the FCC allow the phrase "I've got wood for sheep" to be said on TV?
trainman is a man of trains

BrandonFG

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2006, 12:17:18 AM »
I just tried to read the Catan rules on Wikipedia. It sounds like it could have a lot of potential, but I have a feeling that the rules would have to be watered down to the point where you've drowned them. :-P

Then again, maybe it's just one of those games where all the reading in the world is not going to make you understand. I had the same problem when I read the rules to "Lingo" and D/ND. The latter's rules can't get ANY simpler.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 12:18:05 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2006, 12:23:55 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'116580\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 09:17 PM\']
I just tried to read the Catan rules on Wikipedia. It sounds like it could have a lot of potential, but I have a feeling that the rules would have to be watered down to the point where you've drowned them. :-P
[/quote]
That's part of my point. It's not a hard game, but making it into something Joe Average could follow while still maintaining the spirit of the game would be damned near impossible. Look what they had to do to Monopoly, fer God's sake.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2006, 07:53:41 AM »
How 'bout Celebrity Snits Revenge?

And, Don--your Spin Off idea is nothing like Yahtzee.  For starters, it's not complete and utter crap.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 07:54:38 AM by Clay Zambo »
czambo@mac.com

GSmaniac

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2006, 09:25:33 AM »
Sale Of The 21st Century, anybody?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2006, 10:01:01 AM »
"The Big Showdown."  And why not make the initial Show Down roll worth a million?  If you go by the stats on the original show, it would be given away just twice in 26 weeks.  

I read at http://www.worldscreen.com/newscurrent.php...llenge41206.htm that a show called "Take It or Leave It" is being piloted for Britain, probably has no connection to the old radio show, and I would guess would be an answer to DoND.

(Second paragraph edited from original to add link to story and further info.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:22:09 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2006, 10:12:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'116588\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 07:01 AM\']
"The Big Showdown."  And why not make the initial Show Down roll worth a million?  If you go by the stats on the original show, it would be given away just twice in 26 weeks.  
[/quote]
And if you go by probability (which is what your insurer is going to look at when determining your premium), assuming a five-a-week strip, you're coughing up once every seven weeks or so.

(Do I even have to mention what a weekly premium on a million-dollar payout on what amounts to basically a one-in-seven shot would look like?)

My, but spending other people's money is fun!
I read somewhere that a show called "Take It or Leave It" is being piloted, probably has no connection to the old radio show, and I would guess would be an answer to DoND.
If that's so, and it makes it to air, and at ANY POINT it has the host offering a contestant a lesser prize to quit the game, asking them if they want to "Take It Or Leave It", I'd like to think it would get laughed off the air as being completely derivative.

Unfortunately, I don't have that much confidence in the American viewing public.

wheelloon

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2006, 10:15:06 AM »
Well, if we're gonna just pull out any game show that we think could have a go in syndication, not taking into account if Sony/KW have the rights to the format or not, how about PYL, non-GSN inspired of course...

If you needed to cut down on air time, make the first round 3 questions instead of 4, have no big bank, but do allow returning champions for an extended period. 5 days max on the show seems reasonable to me.

I'd love to see PYL return with about twice as much money at stake (maybe have a max of $10k+spin in round 2?) and maybe a PT Cruiser offered as a prize in the final round. The average win each day would then probably be around $25k. Plus, you could have the same audiences that attend DoND cheer and scream and holler their bloody heads off when someone nails BIG BUCKS in round 2.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

tyshaun1

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2006, 11:44:07 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'116590\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 10:15 AM\']
I'd love to see PYL return with about twice as much money at stake (maybe have a max of $10k+spin in round 2?) and maybe a PT Cruiser offered as a prize in the final round. The average win each day would then probably be around $25k. Plus, you could have the same audiences that attend DoND cheer and scream and holler their bloody heads off when someone nails BIG BUCKS in round 2.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it...
[/quote]

A PT cruiser? Ummmm, yeah.

Anyway, it's not going to make much of a difference if you add more money to a show like PYL, especially considering that the main draw of the show for Joe Blow was watching people actually lose all their money. There are several other factors that have to come into place for it to really work, mainly the right host (which does matter as GSN proved), the large, flashy set as Mr. Lemon said previously, and the "slightly" off contestants who we're able to root for or against without being obnoxious (see Skyler).

IMO, if KW/Sony were to revive a show, I'd go along with TTD with Wink at the helm again..... he's already made himself known again from those Orbitz commercials, plus the format serves itself well against Jeopardy!, but I'd scrap the "Beat The Dragon" round for something closer related to the main game.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:50:54 AM by tyshaun1 »

clemon79

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2006, 11:49:09 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'116594\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 08:44 AM\']
and the "slightly" off contestants who we're able to root for or against without being obnoxious (see Skyler).
[/quote]
I for one could go the rest of my life without seeing a contestant LIKE Skyler Stone on a game show, like, ever again.

While I realize I myself have a strong personality, I don't feel the need to see someone with an urge to steal the spotlight from the game.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 11:49:55 AM by clemon79 »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2006, 12:15:26 PM »
There are several other factors that have to come into place for it to really work, mainly the right host (which does matter as GSN proved), the large, flashy set as Mr. Lemon said previously,

Re. PYL - maybe we're in luck then.  At least they'll have the set - the one which has been rebuilt for the upcoming Game Show Marathon (can't wait until it actually airs!)  Quite likely any of the shows on GSM could be revived as a weekly strip.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2006, 12:31:08 PM »
In my post about bringing back "The Big Showdown," I only mentioned a million because that seems to be the current "magic number" to get a show sold. Plus, the top prize was given away only twice out of 130 or so shows.  128 times it was not won, but it was always possible. Heck, I'd like TBS back even if they made the bonus roll for $10.00.  Of course, that would not be any kind of incentive for anyone to go on the show.

Prizes for game shows should not exceed the prize budgets for game shows, but I figure a big company like Sony might be able to kick in the cash.  If they gave away 80 million dollars in prize money in the first 80 shows that would be slightly under the budget of Sony's current Pink Panther movie.  The revenue from the spots would be the means by which to get a return on the investment, and the rest is gravy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 01:02:55 PM by Jimmy Owen »

clemon79

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2006, 01:08:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'116599\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 09:31 AM\']
Plus, the top prize was given away only twice out of 130 or so shows.  128 times it was not won, but it was always possible.
[/quote]
Which, again, means not a damned thing to the people who insure against such things.

"It should happen once in 36 shows. Here's your quote."

"B-b-b-b-b-but it only happened twice in 130 shows in the 70's! You should charge based on that!"

"Get the hell out of my office."

Monarx

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2006, 01:23:26 PM »
They could always use 20-sided dice...
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2006, 01:35:31 PM »
Well, maybe it's not doable in this form.  To me, it seemed like an almost impossible task to win $10,000, but it appears it was more likely to happen than it did.  Maybe decrease the odds with a bonus round where a person would have to roll Show Down three consecutive times to win the million.