Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: King World/Sony to create new game show block  (Read 28520 times)

calliaume

King World/Sony to create new game show block
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2006, 11:24:44 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'116443\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 07:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'PalCatIN\' post=\'116435\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 08:38 PM\']
Since there's such an interest in Sudoku, perhaps they could make a game out of that, and "block" it with Scrabble.  I know I'd love to see it come back, especially if Chuch hosted.  While the Sudoku idea's not necessarily great, at least it's new, and hey, it's better than lots of other things that have been tried.
[/quote]
It sounds good in theory but the execution will likely be horrible.  Put yourself in the seat of an average viewer.  As a viewer, would you be even slightly interested in seeing total strangers do sudoku puzzles?  There is a possible plus to a sudoku format--it *might* make for a decent interactive game...
[/quote]

It's already been tried, remember?

Ba-doom-cheesh!  Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Seriously, there are some games that won't work on television without radical restructuring, and Sudoku's tops on that list.

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2006, 03:02:49 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'116357\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 12:16 PM\']
And I may be wrong, but I've believed that Sony did acquire the "TJW" format, they only own the "TTD" programs made by B&E in the 70s and 80s and that NBC Universal owns the "TTD" format now.
[/quote]

Sony did acquire the TJW format (previously owned by Jack Barry's estate, not part of the B&E catalog) and even made a mobile phone game out of it. NBC still owns the TTD format (and Dough-Re-Mi, too):

http://nbcislb.console.net/printcat.cgi?se...subsection=game

Ian Wallis

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2006, 09:03:34 AM »
Sony did acquire the TJW format (previously owned by Jack Barry's estate, not part of the B&E catalog) and even made a mobile phone game out of it. NBC still owns the TTD format (and Dough-Re-Mi, too):

Does anyone else still wonder why GSN was allowed to show Tic Tac Dough, but not Concentration, especially since both are still owned by NBC?  I know some discussion on this topic has come up before, but I can't remember if there ever was a definitive answer.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2006, 09:28:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'116486\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 09:03 AM\']

Does anyone else still wonder why GSN was allowed to show Tic Tac Dough, but not Concentration, especially since both are still owned by NBC?  I know some discussion on this topic has come up before, but I can't remember if there ever was a definitive answer.
[/quote]

Sony owned the 1978-86 episodes of TTD. Perhaps NBC got the rights to TTD back from B&E or Enright's estate at some point later. Concentration  was owned by NBC since c. 1960, G-T was hired to oversee the later two versions of the show.

jrjgames

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2006, 11:34:21 AM »
Everyone is talking about the revival, but I'm really interested in the original idea...I wonder what they have cooked up.

John

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2006, 12:08:36 PM »
I love Tic Tac Dough, but I just don't see it ever coming back -- it's too slowly-paced for today's audiences. The show stands still for a few seconds after every shuffle while the contestant determines which box to pick. Add to it the fact that it's just straight trivia... the only reason Jeopardy! gets away with straight trivia is because a) it's an established part of the TV landscape and b) they play about 60 questions per episode.

The Joker's Wild, maybe... people love slot machines and it doesn't take as long to pick a category after each spin. Would you all be comfortable with a version of The Joker's Wild where the contestants and the audience yell raucously at the screens during each spin?

This does sound like a preemptive strike against Deal or No Deal, and that they themselves aren't sure which shows they'll be trying.

--
Scott Robinson

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2006, 12:38:41 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'116510\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 09:08 AM\']
I love Tic Tac Dough, but I just don't see it ever coming back -- it's too slowly-paced for today's audiences. [/quote] If other game shows would slow the hell down and not try and cram all of their gameplay into ten minutes, shows like Tic Tac Dough could come back. Not that TTD would be my first choice anyhow, but if we're casting out ideas because they move too slowly...perhaps it's the audience that needs a re-education, and not the other way around.

The show stands still for a few seconds after every shuffle while the contestant determines which box to pick. Add to it the fact that it's just straight trivia... the only reason Jeopardy! gets away with straight trivia is because a) it's an established part of the TV landscape and b) they play about 60 questions per episode.
By that point, then, no quiz show would ever be on television because they all move too slowly. Jeopardy! is an interesting game, and it used to have challenging material. It does well because it works on all levels.

The Joker's Wild, maybe... people love slot machines and it doesn't take as long to pick a category after each spin. Would you all be comfortable with a version of The Joker's Wild where the contestants and the audience yell raucously at the screens during each spin?
Yes. It's insulting that a classic format should have to mold itself to fit in today's landscape like that. If today's audiences have to have constant applause and yelling all the time...then boo on them for being so impatient. I wouldn't even tinker with the format, because it's supposed to be about the luck of the wheels.
Travis L. Eberle

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2006, 03:31:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'116411\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 06:45 PM\']
Life is like a deck of cards, and all I've gotten were Jokers.
[/quote]
Oh, don't you worry.

Remember.

Every Joker you draw increases your chances of winning that fabulous Renault convertible.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2006, 06:31:43 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'116510\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 12:08 PM\']
I love Tic Tac Dough, but I just don't see it ever coming back -- it's too slowly-paced for today's audiences. The show stands still for a few seconds after every shuffle while the contestant determines which box to pick. Add to it the fact that it's just straight trivia... the only reason Jeopardy! gets away with straight trivia is because a) it's an established part of the TV landscape and b) they play about 60 questions per episode.
[/quote]

Scott's just mad he wouldn't get to host this time :) (Fpr those who don't know, we both worked on a version of that here at CMU)

As for my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised to see H2 come back. Not saying it'll definitely happen, but it might. There's so many possibilities, it may be too early to speculate. We shall see.

David

Neumms

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2006, 07:16:41 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'116510\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 11:08 AM\']
I love Tic Tac Dough, but I just don't see it ever coming back -- it's too slowly-paced for today's audiences. T
Scott Robinson
[/quote]

Given how they kept adding the goofy orange squares, it was apparently too slowly paced for late 80s audiences.

One thing that might help TTD or Joker's Wild (which I'd rather see) is if they simply wrote shorter questions, more like Trivial Pursuit length. Or they could get clever writers and make them like "You Don't Know Jack." (The computer version, not Pee-Wee's.) Of course, it would make things more interesting if the questions weren't third grade level.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2006, 07:55:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'116556\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 06:16 PM\']
Given how they kept adding the goofy orange squares, it was apparently too slowly paced for late 80s audiences.
[/quote]
As Jim Caldwell reminded you oh so diligently, those were red squares.

Brandon Brooks

Neumms

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'116564\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 06:55 PM\']
As Jim Caldwell reminded you oh so diligently, those were red squares.
[/quote]

Oh, my mistake. I must have adjusted my T.V. to take down the glare on Jim's teeth.

Gosh, maybe they'll bring back Top Card!

That Don Guy

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2006, 10:17:09 PM »
If it's going to be a classic and an original...

Here's a classic nobody has mentioned yet: What's My Line?.  (I was going to say Name That Tune, but a daily version might get old quickly - they can't make the range of music too great as nobody knows enough about the different styles from the past few decades, and if they limit it to a specific genre, only those fans would bother watching it.)
Then again, it's probably yet another version of TTTT - and is IGAS still on Oxygen?  (IGAS is better in weekly doses with big-name celebrities at the end of each show.)

Original...what hasn't been done yet...
Here's a "sort of original" idea: Spin-Off, but (a) use real dice rolled down a ramp "Let 'Em Roll"-style, and (b) played a little more like Gambit (no "three roll limit", you can reroll more than one die at a time (except that once a couple freezes, the other couple must "set aside" at least one die per roll), and instead of the high dice winning money, make it a straight two-out-of-three, or most games in 20 minutes if there's no straddling).
(I understand there was a TV version of Yahtzee, but I never saw it; how close was what I described to that?)

How about a variation on Friend or Foe with, say, five players in the end game - the catch is, if one person says Foe, that person not only gets all of the money, but it doubles; however, if more than one says Foe, they get nothing and the Friends get it all.  (Think about it - you're probably more likely to get nothing with Foe than with Friend, so most players would say Friend, but how many think they would be the only one to say Foe?)

However, if you want a truly original idea, how about a game show based (loosely) on The Settlers of Catan?  

-- Don

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2006, 10:21:39 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'116572\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 09:17 PM\']
Then again, it's probably yet another version of TTTT - and is IGAS still on Oxygen?  (IGAS is better in weekly doses with big-name celebrities at the end of each show.)
[/quote]
A new version debuted on GSN last night.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2006, 10:45:02 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'116572\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 07:17 PM\']
However, if you want a truly original idea, how about a game show based (loosely) on The Settlers of Catan?  
[/quote]
I'm a big fan of German board games.

That said, if you can come up with an interesting game show based on Catan that isn't hopelessly confusing to the viewers, I'll eat a hat.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe