Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: King World/Sony to create new game show block  (Read 28536 times)

narzo

King World/Sony to create new game show block
« on: April 17, 2006, 01:14:08 AM »
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C...l=SUPP&nid=2228

and the lengthy speculation thread begins...

NOW

(the over/under for how many pages this goes is 9)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 01:40:12 AM by narzo »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 01:19:41 AM »
Interesting. I'd love to see this develop.

Oh, and I wrote down Tic-Tac-Dough and Joker's Wild. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 01:20:08 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'116310\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 01:14 AM\']
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/C...l=SUPP&nid=2228

and the lengthy speculation thread begins...

NOW
[/quote]

Is it time to be welcomed back to the game "where knowledge is king and lady luck is queen" ?

Is it time to get ready for "everybody's game of strategy, knowledge, and fun" ?

Is it time for me to send a resume out, lol?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 01:24:52 AM »
Dating/Newlywed.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Terry K

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 03:20:53 AM »
With NBC considering a DOND syndie, there's going to be a couple of problems.  DOND games ALWAYS take up a full hour.  Unless they go with DOND as a show with lower stakes or less suitcases, we have real problems on our hands.  And are we going to see a seperate host a-la-TWL?  (I'm not sure though you're gonna do better than Howie no matter what)

Could they be considering a revival of H2?  That's one very strong contender, considering Sony and KW were working together with H2 as it was, and H2 was starting to catch on when it was axed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 03:24:12 AM by Terry K »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 03:29:08 AM »
I always thought the WOF/J! block on most ABC O&Os were pretty much a 1-hour block in of itself over the last 20+ years.  What Sony/King World is trying to do is "create" its own battles with those shows.  The only viable option in my area would be to put it on my CBS affiliate but even there it would be tough to snare the entertainment shows that are up against the 1-2 powerhouse combo.  There's a slim chance my ABC affiliate can use its 4 PM slot for that.  Problem is, Oprah is "locked" in that slot & would be years before anything shows up there.  I can understand wanting to outfox NBC Universal here, but it's gonna be a tough sell I think.

Brig Bother

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 05:48:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'116315\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 08:20 AM\']
With NBC considering a DOND syndie, there's going to be a couple of problems.  DOND games ALWAYS take up a full hour.  Unless they go with DOND as a show with lower stakes or less suitcases, we have real problems on our hands.  And are we going to see a seperate host a-la-TWL?  (I'm not sure though you're gonna do better than Howie no matter what)
[/quote]

The Australian show fits in a short quiz and a game with 26 suitcases in just under 22 minutes.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 06:02:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'116315\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 03:20 AM\']
[/quote]
And they drag the hell out of that hour...if you straddle the show, and cut out a lot of the extra stuff, it should be okay...even one game per half-hour could probably work, but straddling might relax things a bit.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »
If I'm correct, Michael Davies had to do a cable and syndicated show.  So I'm taking a stab that Chain Reaction (which is looking good, btw) will be the cable one, and the original's going to be the syndicated game.  I could also be 100% incorrect, which is a big possibility.  And a 22 box game in the style of the terrific UK DoND could fit in a half hour time slot.  A 26 case game is nearly impossible without eliminating all substance.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 09:00:05 AM »
Which is to say, not much substance to begin with. "The Deal" is in a different boat than "Millionaire." Millionaire at least has the questions, which used to come at a fast clip. You could fit in a couple of contestants on a show sometimes. "Deal or No Deal" has...picking numbers. If you were to make it viable as a syndicated show by removing four boxes and making the field $0.01 to $250,000; you still have people picking numbers. On the upside, there would be less time for the Relationship Bench antics and whatnot, but it's also a possibility that they would try to spread one contestant's game over two shows, changing nothing at all. With all of that, you have people picking numbers off of a board. "Treasure Hunt" somehow lasted for four years as a weekly product, and barely a year as a syndicated one, and it's the same game on an elementary level.

No syndicate would touch a show that has had payouts as high as "Deal" without some major changes. If it were my nickels, I would be pushing for an American version of the best game show on television anywhere in the world right now: "Temptation." But that's just me.
Travis L. Eberle

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 09:17:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'116315\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 03:20 AM\']

Could they be considering a revival of H2?  That's one very strong contender, considering Sony and KW were working together with H2 as it was, and H2 was starting to catch on when it was axed.
[/quote]

H2's ratings did not improve in the post-Whoopi era, so I wouldn't say it was starting to catch on when it was axed. It was more or less known going into the 2003-04 season that it would be the last season, barring a major ratings increase, as that magazine show with the legendary Pat O'Brien was a go to replace Squares on many stations.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 09:55:31 AM »
Given Deal's success in a short period of time, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony revived a similar show--Treasure Hunt.  I don't think it's the best choice (I'd prefer reviving TTD, TJW, or even The Newlywed Game) but I don't think Treasure Hunt is too much of a stretch given what the game show flavor du jour is.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 10:33:19 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'116332\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 08:55 AM\']
Given Deal's success in a short period of time, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony revived a similar show--Treasure Hunt.  
[/quote]

Oh.  Please.  No.
czambo@mac.com

opimus

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 10:40:12 AM »
Ben Stein's  How Do You Like Your Eggs?. *ducks* on his way to the booth.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 10:42:00 AM by opimus »

wheelloon

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 10:57:23 AM »
I would VERY MUCH like to see H2 come back with this news, but I doubt it will happen, given how the ratings started to plummet those last 2 years. Such a shame, if you ask me. I think it would be a great pairing with another celebrity game like Password or Match Game, but I think that's a long stretch for that to happen there... :(

Dare I say it, could we see a return of Pyramid, and maybe, to pull one out of left field: High Rollers?? I kinda think HR may have that sorta Vegas appeal that's exploded in popularity over the last decade. Same could apply to TJW or (ack-hem) Card Sharks...

Just my opinion, don't flame me please. LOL
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak