Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: King World/Sony to create new game show block  (Read 28525 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
King World/Sony to create new game show block
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2006, 01:40:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'116606\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 10:35 AM\']
Maybe decrease the odds with a bonus round where a person would have to roll Show Down three consecutive times to win the million.
[/quote]
...aaaaand you've just turned an event likely to happen once every seven weeks into one likely to happen once every 179.45 YEARS.

(Incidentally, before you even suggest it, making it two consecutive Showdowns reduces the odds to a comparatively-more-reasonable-but-still-idiotic once in 4.98 years.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 01:43:29 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2006, 01:54:29 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'116590\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 09:15 AM\']
and maybe a PT Cruiser offered as a prize in the final round. [/quote]
If you want a compacted hearse, sure.  Side note: My mother bought one last year.  No one in the family likes it.
Plus, you could have the same audiences that attend DoND cheer and scream and holler their bloody heads off when someone nails BIG BUCKS in round 2.
Why the hell would you want this?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2006, 02:56:33 PM »
I find it amusing that the instant "New game show block!" hit the press, everyone has picked their pony and tried to update it for today. If "The Big Showdown" needs a $1 million carrot, just add a third die with the word "Big" in place of the six. "Big Showdown" wins $1 million, and you're looking at a 215:1 shot. Pay me $5,000 and I'll back that for a year of production.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:44:19 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'116610\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 11:56 AM\']
If "The Big Showdown" needs a $1 million carrot, just add a third die with the word "Big" in place of the six. "Big Showdown" wins $1 million, and you're looking at a 215:1 shot. Pay me $55,000 and I'll back that for a year of production.
[/quote]
See, this makes a little more sense.

Maybe you make "SHOW DOWN" worth $10K, "BIG DOWN" worth nothing, and "BIG SHOW" worth a chokeslam. :)

/Weeeeeeeeeeeellllllllll...

Neumms

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'116610\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 01:56 PM\']
If "The Big Showdown" needs a $1 million carrot, just add a third die with the word "Big" in place of the six. "Big Showdown" wins $1 million, and you're looking at a 215:1 shot.
[/quote]

What would be great is if the new show aired against "Jeopardy." If they could somehow plan the dice-rolling segment to come right during the extra long commercial break before "Final Jeopardy," then by flipping back and forth you'd have a really exciting half-hour.

I say they should bring back "Dotto."

aaron sica

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2006, 04:01:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'116614\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 03:44 PM\']
Maybe you make "SHOW DOWN" worth $10K, "BIG DOWN" worth nothing, and "BIG SHOW" worth a chokeslam. :)
[/quote]

Award this man the line of the day!

Jay Temple

« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2006, 05:31:29 PM »
On the question of whether it's too soon to revive Pyramid: 20K had been off the air for less than a year when 50K came on. It lasted all of, what, 22 weeks? Then again, that version had been off the air for only a little more than a year when CBS' 25K debuted, and it ran for five years plus! The lesson, if there is one, is that it's not too soon if it's done right. (We've had the discussion of what "done right" entails many times, and it's not worth restarting here.)

Assuming that the TJW/TTD combo is basically the 70's shows adjusted for inflation, the only thing I wouldn't like is that the bonus rounds are too similar.

Does anyone think one of the versions of Play the Percentages could work?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2006, 08:04:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'116622\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 05:31 PM\']Does anyone think one of the versions of Play the Percentages could work?[/quote]
I think in theory, there's a solid idea behind a quiz game in which the questions have been tested by a sample group and you get more points for answering questions that fewer people knew.  Still, there wasn't a version of PtP I enjoyed.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2006, 09:00:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'116622\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 05:31 PM\']
Assuming that the TJW/TTD combo is basically the 70's shows adjusted for inflation, the only thing I wouldn't like is that the bonus rounds are too similar.
[/quote]
A few years ago, there was a TTD revival idea thread, where I suggested making it so the contestant has about :30 to get tic-tac-toe by answering questions (maybe true/false), simply cross the board kinda like the Gold Run/Rush from Blockbusters*. Get three-in-a-row, you win the prize package or some money (for something this simple, no more than $10,000 and that's honestly too much IMODO). If you don't do so, you get $100 or $250 for each correct answer.

*Of course there's obvious differences b/w this and BB, but the cross the board format is the essence I'm going for...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

calliaume

« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2006, 09:44:06 PM »
I think I must have mentioned here at some point -- either by Ron Greenburg himself, or by Randy Amasia after contacting Mr. Greenburg -- that TBS was pitched for a revival by DC/RG productions in the early '90s, with no takers.

Me, I'm still puzzling over what shows NBC would put on Saturday nights for a three-hour block (Let's Make a Deal, Sale of the Century, Split Second...).

Don Howard

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2006, 01:28:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'116622\' date=\'Apr 19 2006, 05:31 PM\']
[/quote]
Neither of those shows really needs a bonus round.
Tic Tac Dough especially didn't need one.
"You've just won $7700 for winning in an exciting series of tie games. Now let's face the dragon for an extra thou plus an assortment of prizes you neither need nor want. Smile and jog on over!!"
The Joker's Wild also doesn't need one--definitions be damned. Reinstitute the Joker's Jackpot format and spin the wheels.
As for Play The Percentages, that show was perfectly fine during its first week before all the rule putzing began.
And to make our fantasy complete, Todd Newton will host TTD, Pat O'Brien will helm TJW while Tom Snyder will emcee PtP. I shall announce on all three.
Alert NATPE.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2006, 03:30:23 AM »
I've got a hankering for putting $25,000 in a planeful of snakes. and you know what I'll call it...

"snakes on a [$25,000] plane"

(and no, I'm not smoking rocks tonight. thank you.)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2006, 09:01:17 AM »
The Joker's Wild also doesn't need one--definitions be damned. Reinstitute the Joker's Jackpot format and spin the wheels.

If we're going by the "classic" version, I thought the bonus round was necessary - especially the second one.  While I like the idea of the Joker's Jackpot, contestants did have to risk their game winnings to go on.  Maybe a good fit would be the Joker's Jackpot format of the first year, along with the second (money and devils) bonus game.  That way, if a contestant lost they'd still have a little cash from the bonus rounds.  I'd also increase the amount of wins needed to win the Jackpot to five.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2006, 09:30:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'116644\' date=\'Apr 20 2006, 12:30 AM\']
I've got a hankering for putting $25,000 in a planeful of snakes. and you know what I'll call it...
"snakes on a [$25,000] plane"
(and no, I'm not smoking rocks tonight. thank you.)
[/quote]
That might have been the most labored effort to get in a Snakes On A Plane reference that I have ever seen.

And yet, I giggled. :)

/"We're back! And once again, here's your host, Samuel L.!"
//"Thanks, motherf***er."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:31:17 AM by clemon79 »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'116644\' date=\'Apr 20 2006, 03:30 AM\']

"snakes on a [$25,000] plane"[/quote]
That show already exists.  It's called Fear Factor, and you didn't mention they have to eat the snakes' reproductive organs too.

Realistically, I think Sony's first choice will be The Newlywed Game.  There's always an audience for double-entendres, and they can make a big promotion out of Bob Eubanks hosting the same format for a fifth consecutive decade.