Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whither Meredith Vieira?  (Read 26902 times)

calliaume

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2006, 11:49:56 PM »
I don't know if anyone's suggested it, but Donny Osmond's at liberty.  Don't know how he'd be at the contestant interviews, however.

gsgalaxy82

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2006, 11:53:17 PM »
I believe it also airs in the morning in Detroit on WKBD (or WWJ, they may have flipped it over there) at 10 am. Hopefully when I move to Seattle in 9 months, it'll be still be on KONG in the evening (where it is now). I'm rarely up in the morning.

David

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2006, 12:25:41 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'115587\' date=\'Apr 7 2006, 06:34 AM\']
IMO, WWTBAM has morphed into a game show where the game is not the most important part of the show.  It is the interaction between the contestant and the host.  Michael Davies said in one of Steve Beverly's interviews that WWTBAM has talk show elements in it, and that is why they cast the show the way they do.  Bill Cullen never spent much time discussing the personal lives of his contestants, There was no chit-chat while a question was being asked.  WWTBAM calls for a host that is able to do ad-libbed dialogue well, and good talk show hosts are able to do that.

I think Tom Bergeron would do a great job as host, but I don't think the producers necessarily are narrowing their potential choices, if Meredith decides to leave, to people who only have hosted game shows.  I do agree they will want a well-known person to host the show.
[/quote]
If "Millionaire" is becoming a talk show/game show, someone put out the light, because I'm not interested. I enjoy seeing the players, and why they want the money, and their quirks and foibles, but that should be secondary to the questions. If the show can have thirty questions a night and fit the chat segments, I'll be fine with that. I don't see why the host needs to be a grump or curmudgeon, though...that was one of the things I did not like about Regis Philbin as host. There weren't many, but that was one.
Travis L. Eberle

goongas

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2006, 12:39:15 AM »
If the show can have thirty questions a night and fit the chat segments, I'll be fine with that.  

One show a month ago featured four or five questions.  They mostly showed the giddy contestant laughing when she was in the third tier.  Ever since the second season of the syndicated show, they do not ask many questions.  If they ask twenty questions in one show, it is a lot.

BrownBoyUT

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2006, 01:57:24 AM »
Here's my vote that I don't think anyone's brought up yet:

Theresa Strasser. She has some hosting experience (if you want to call "While You Were Out" a game show), and whenever I've seen her on panel shows (Balderdash comes to mind), she is really quick.

Just my two cents...

Greg Vallejo
(and the march to 10 posts continues...)

NickS

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2006, 12:21:02 PM »
Until Vieira's agent has that "official" discussion and anything is said otherwise, I have a BVTV source saying she will be on the show until the contract is up.

Why we are discussing this in a "what happens if Bob Barker dies" manner is beyond me.  The point is, as said before, moot until new information comes out.

Matt Ottinger

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2006, 06:54:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'115680\' date=\'Apr 8 2006, 12:21 PM\']Why we are discussing this in a "what happens if Bob Barker dies" manner is beyond me.  The point is, as said before, moot until new information comes out.[/quote]
Yes, but the point is moot with Barker until new information comes out, and that hasn't stopped anybody either.

There are real, logical reasons why this thread is relevant and timely, no matter how far afield the speculation gets. Personally, I'm happy that there seems to be more than a little evidence suggesting Meredith might keep doing it.  Still, Millionaire would certainly have to work around her Today schedule, not vice-versa, so forget that whole "live remotes from Orlando" business.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

NickS

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2006, 07:46:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'115710\' date=\'Apr 8 2006, 05:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'115680\' date=\'Apr 8 2006, 12:21 PM\']Why we are discussing this in a "what happens if Bob Barker dies" manner is beyond me.  The point is, as said before, moot until new information comes out.[/quote]
Yes, but the point is moot with Barker until new information comes out, and that hasn't stopped anybody either.

There are real, logical reasons why this thread is relevant and timely, no matter how far afield the speculation gets. Personally, I'm happy that there seems to be more than a little evidence suggesting Meredith might keep doing it.  Still, Millionaire would certainly have to work around her Today schedule, not vice-versa, so forget that whole "live remotes from Orlando" business.
[/quote]

Point taken re: Bob.

Regarding Meredith, though, I'm curious to see what BVTV does.  I mean, she is bound to a contract -- who says that they could turn around and try the ol' "shoot at 9:30" deal?  I'm not saying they wouldn't, since that would make them look like bad guys, but I'm not saying they would, either.

IMO, they renegotiate the contract so that everything works out.

Matt Ottinger

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2006, 12:07:50 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'115745\' date=\'Apr 9 2006, 07:46 AM\']Regarding Meredith, though, I'm curious to see what BVTV does.  I mean, she is bound to a contract -- who says that they could turn around and try the ol' "shoot at 9:30" deal?  I'm not saying they wouldn't, since that would make them look like bad guys, but I'm not saying they would, either.[/quote]
Oh, MAN, wouldn't that be a nasty thing to do?
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'115745\' date=\'Apr 9 2006, 07:46 AM\']IMO, they renegotiate the contract so that everything works out.[/quote]
My personal opinion is that we won't see Meredith on Millionaire this fall, though I'd love to be wrong.  The distinction between newsperson and game show host is blurrier now than it's been since the 50s and 60s.  For Meredith to work for NBC News and continue to host Millionaire would seem to be something of a coup for our side.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2006, 01:42:46 PM »
I don't see Meredith back on Millionaire either, although she might last out half a year or so.

I think the commitment is just too much.  The View airs an hour each week, and she has three or four cohosts to share the load.  Today is now three hours long (longer than the Downs era), and travels frequently, sometimes with little notice.  I just see Vieira getting up at 2 AM one morning and going, "Oh my God, why am I trying to carry this load?"

wheelloon

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2006, 02:39:55 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'115756\' date=\'Apr 9 2006, 01:42 PM\']
I don't see Meredith back on Millionaire either, although she might last out half a year or so.

I think the commitment is just too much.  The View airs an hour each week, and she has three or four cohosts to share the load.  Today is now three hours long (longer than the Downs era), and travels frequently, sometimes with little notice.  I just see Vieira getting up at 2 AM one morning and going, "Oh my God, why am I trying to carry this load?"
[/quote]
Well, according to the perfesser (I believe that is what he is so honorably called here), she'll be back this fall, even though his article doesn't say really anything to back it up...

I trust ya'll know the website by now... LOL
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2006, 02:44:18 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'115762\' date=\'Apr 9 2006, 11:39 AM\']
Well, according to the perfesser (I believe that is what he is so honorably called here), she'll be back this fall, even though his article doesn't say really anything to back it up...

[/quote]
I trust you know that just because the Perfesser says it, it's not necessarily the least bit accurate, either. The Perfesser has no more information on this than we do, with the possible exception of an "exclusive" that he got by sitting in on a conference call with 500 other people, and I would hazard a guess and say that Alex Davis over at Buzzer was probably on that call too. Suggesting something is so just because The Perfesser reported is a sure way to get mocked around here.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wheelloon

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2006, 02:50:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'115763\' date=\'Apr 9 2006, 02:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'115762\' date=\'Apr 9 2006, 11:39 AM\']
[/quote]
I trust you know that just because the Perfesser says it, it's not necessarily the least bit accurate, either. The Perfesser has no more information on this than we do, with the possible exception of an "exclusive" that he got by sitting in on a conference call with 500 other people, and I would hazard a guess and say that Alex Davis over at Buzzer was probably on that call too. Suggesting something is so just because The Perfesser reported is a sure way to get mocked around here.
[/quote]

YES CHRIS, I know. That's why I included at the end of my first sentence "his article doesn't say really anything to back it up." I know what the general opinion of him is around these parts. It's made VERY obvious by board members...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

thgames65

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2006, 05:11:05 PM »

Beverly cites the April 7 Newsday article, which indicates that Meredith plans on remaining on WWTBAM.   Of course, this could be some misinterpretation of the press conference statements by Newsday's reporter.

Tim H.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 08:22:30 PM by Matt Ottinger »

goongas

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2006, 12:54:24 PM »
According to this article, Meredith will return to hosting WWTBAM.  Also, she will only anchor the first two hours of Today, so she will not be as tired as we originally thought, but her schedule will be demanding nonetheless.  This story quotes Ms. Vieira directly, so I hope it is accurate.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 12:55:11 PM by goongas »