Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whither Meredith Vieira?  (Read 26897 times)

Kevin Prather

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 09:14:38 PM »
Chris, come on. It's a reasonable request. Don't ding him for word choice when the point he's making is obvious.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:15:10 PM by whoserman »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2006, 09:17:44 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'115435\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 06:14 PM\']
Chris, come on. It's a reasonable request. Don't ding him for word choice when the point he's making is obvious.
[/quote]
Nope. If he's gonna issue a "warning", then I want to know what he thinks he's "warning" me from. Nevermind the fact that, as usual, his comment was minimally relevant in the first place.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:18:36 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2006, 09:30:59 PM »
I don't think Chris was criticizing all of those with autism and related conditions as a whole, particularly since I would bet that he could cite several members of the Don't-Change-A-Thing-About-My-Favorite-Show-Or-I'll-Die crowd who have no such challenges whatsoever, and at least a few members of this board have stated that they have autism and yet don't behave in that fashion.

I still think that Chris's reference to autism was a poor choice of words, and I'm particularly sensitive to it given my training in psychology and the fact that I work closely with special education teachers every day.  That said, given that one of the symptoms of autism is a higher-than-normal resistance to change -- as well as the fact that at least three people from the ATGS days have explicitly stated that they were using their autism as an excuse to behave as they did, rather than as a challenge to overcome -- I see why he chose it and I'm not going to burn him at the stake for it.

FOXSportsFan

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2006, 10:05:03 PM »
I should have said a friendly reminder, perhaps, it's just I didn't want to start another flame war over the comparing of activities on this forum to that of a condition my brothers have.  But, be it for Chris Lemon to try to take something I say, stretch it out to it's worst common denominator and wanna be the initiator of starting stuff and of course it allows you a chance to get your little shot in on me.

This is for those who don't know the life story I have to live with (a.k.a. those with "normal" families): The loons in here ain't got nothing on my brothers.  We're talking people who put their heads and fists through walls, hit themselves, hit their parents (they fear me for some reason), and throw tamper tantrums the size of Russia...and they do it over petty things like...oh I don't know...not getting a little tinker toy or a certain tape at a certain time.  Believe me, while child-like antics abound here, it's far more civilized than the life my little brothers endure.

I live with both a higher functioning "case study" and a low functioning "case study", so I know the topic from each angle of the spectrum essentially.  I apologize if my sensitivity is too such an extreme, and perhaps it is much, but it's a cause that's near and dear to me.  Accept it, please.  And, end of discussion on the matter.

Brandon Brooks

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2006, 10:13:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'115436\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 08:17 PM\']
Nope. If he's gonna issue a "warning", then I want to know what he thinks he's "warning" me from. Nevermind the fact that, as usual, his comment was minimally relevant in the first place.
[/quote]
Chris, back down.  This isn't a battle really worth fighting.  

Brandon Brooks

tyshaun1

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2006, 10:17:38 PM »
And this just in......   Meredith Vieira believed to have signed NBC deal, from Broadcasting & Cable.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 10:18:21 PM by tyshaun1 »

mystery7

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2006, 10:33:06 PM »
Sorry to be fashionably late, but as an autistic myself, I can assure you that we're not all fanatics whose worlds will end over some little thing like Meredith Vieira possibly leaving Millionare for Today. I, for one, have much more significant, albeit personal things to worry about, like preparing for my new job and the associated move out of state.

I used to be like William's younger brother, and as David said, it is quite a challenge to overcome. But it can be done. I'm living proof. Thank you both for your stories.

PS: April is Autism Awareness Month, and it's strictly by coincidence that I mention it here. Now back to the thread, already in progress.

Jimmy Owen

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2006, 12:14:40 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'115444\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 10:17 PM\']
And this just in......   Meredith Vieira believed to have signed NBC deal, from Broadcasting & Cable.

Tyshaun
[/quote]

According to the above story, NBC is cool with Meredith doing both Today and Millionaire, so it is a moot point.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

FeudDude

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2006, 12:21:44 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'115445\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 10:33 PM\']
Sorry to be fashionably late, but as an autistic myself, I can assure you that we're not all fanatics whose worlds will end over some little thing like Meredith Vieira possibly leaving Millionare for Today. I, for one, have much more significant, albeit personal things to worry about, like preparing for my new job and the associated move out of state.

I used to be like William's younger brother, and as David said, it is quite a challenge to overcome. But it can be done. I'm living proof. Thank you both for your stories.
[/quote]

I should apologize, as I probably overreacted a bit to Chris's remark.   And I would like to think that I don't get riled up over small changes either - in fact, more often than not, I enjoy and anticipate change.  I do sometimes get overtly obsessive over certain things, but I try my best not to let such things take over my life.  Most of my difficulties these days involve everyday social interaction.

That said, I didn't get such an impression from Terry's post either.  To me it just seemed like perfectly normal speculation over who the next host might be - not a plea to find out who the new host is right now or anything like that.  But, no matter.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 12:23:03 AM by FeudDude »

MrBuddwing

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2006, 12:58:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'115454\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 12:14 AM\']
[According to the above story, NBC is cool with Meredith doing both Today and Millionaire, so it is a moot point.
[/quote]

But would YOU want a schedule like that? (I assume that doing the "Today" show five mornings a week would be a lot tougher than "The View.")

Terry K

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2006, 01:14:50 AM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'115461\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 11:58 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'115454\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 12:14 AM\']
[According to the above story, NBC is cool with Meredith doing both Today and Millionaire, so it is a moot point.
[/quote]

But would YOU want a schedule like that? (I assume that doing the "Today" show five mornings a week would be a lot tougher than "The View.")
[/quote]

Three hours a day on the air PLUS the prep time?  And when Today goes on the road?  They'll almost have to do the show from Orlando on a regular basis when Millionaire goes down there.  

Of course, though, Millionaire tapes so much at one time, they may just scoot all the tapings out to weekends, provided Meredith stays.

Jimmy Owen

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2006, 01:20:51 AM »
Most folks eight hours a day, so maybe it's not that much of a stretch.  Isn't the third hour of Today skipped by Matt and Katie anyway?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MrBuddwing

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2006, 01:32:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'115463\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 01:14 AM\']
Of course, though, Millionaire tapes so much at one time, they may just scoot all the tapings out to weekends, provided Meredith stays.
[/quote]

Speaking strictly for myself, the thought of having to get up at 2 or 3 a.m. every weekday morning for a live morning show, plus doing a mess of WWTBaM episodes at least a couple of weekends a month, would be a bit more than I could stand, no matter how much money they threw at me.

peiboy91

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2006, 02:43:16 AM »
I agree, The View and Today are completely different monsters, and I would think Meredith would have a tough time doing both Today and Millionaire simultaneously.

As for a possible replacement, a name that came to my mind is Pat Kiernan since he's hosting the upcoming World Series of Pop Culture on VH1 and has previously hosted the short lived Studio 7 on the WB, both of which are incidentally Michael Davies productions. I can't really judge his hosting yet since the only time I've seen him is Studio 7 (and in a format where the host nods to indicate a right answer, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt). It also seems like he's pretty popular in New York where he anchors NY1 News, so we'll see.

tvwxman

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2006, 04:37:53 AM »
[quote name=\'MrBuddwing\' post=\'115465\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 01:32 AM\']
Speaking strictly for myself, the thought of having to get up at 2 or 3 a.m. every weekday morning for a live morning show, plus doing a mess of WWTBaM episodes at least a couple of weekends a month, would be a bit more than I could stand, no matter how much money they threw at me.
[/quote]

Not so sure about that...i've read the limo picks up matt/katie/charlie/diane/etc. closer to 5am(!) for the 10 minute ride in 5am traffic...they then spend 90 minutes researching notes, but more importantly , applying makeup...

Most of the research is done afterwards...books are brought home, movie screeners are watched....but not much is 'done' before the show....

I'm not saying the job isn't demanding, but since millionaire is covered 3 days a week for 4 months, "I" think she can pull both off.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"