Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whither Meredith Vieira?  (Read 26906 times)

aaron sica

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'115380\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 11:40 AM\']
Millionaire wasn't on all that many stations in prime access to begin with, at least not the big markets. That speaks volumes about how badly ABC screwed it up, if it couldn't replace Access Hollywood. (Obviously, luring Pat O'Brien away might have helped.)
[/quote]

Nope, in my area it airs on the local ABC affiliate (WHTM) at 12:30pm.

mystery7

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »
It's also airing in Philly on WPVI at 12:30. Not prime access, but with Action News as your lead-in, not a bad deal.

FOXSportsFan

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 12:48:58 PM »
Jeff Kaye (who these days sounds like he's on his last gasp): "Action News!  Delaware Valley's Leading News Program."

Indeed, it's the best lead-in in the market (though I like CBS 3's Noon Newscast).  

I have to beg a question here in terms of Millionaire presuming Meredith bolts for "Today".  I know he said he'd never wanna do it, but...is it time for Regis again?  I mean he's a company player and is closely identified with the format.  What's another 30 minute show for the king of TV, right?

uncamark

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 02:39:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'115380\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 10:40 AM\']
Millionaire wasn't on all that many stations in prime access to begin with, at least not the big markets. That speaks volumes about how badly ABC screwed it up, if it couldn't replace Access Hollywood. (Obviously, luring Pat O'Brien away might have helped.)
[/quote]

But you have to realize that the ABC-owned stations are tied up with "J!" and "Wheel" in access for many years to come--and that the CBS and NBC-owned stations naturally gravitated towards stuff they own ("ET," "Insider," "Access") instead of stuff they don't own (WWTBAM").

Disney's happy with what they have--the midday time slots have done good enough and all are resigned to the fact that they don't have a megahit on the level of "Wheel" with the show.

Not as successful as they might've wished?  Perhaps.  A "screw-up?"  I don't think so.

Tony

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 02:52:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' post=\'115357\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 01:29 AM\']

Re: Oswald the Rabbit -- Eisner was fulfilling a promise he made to Walt's daughter that he'd rescue the Rabbit someday.  Surely the additional access to Olympic highlight footage that he "insisted" on receiving from NBC in return for Michaels played at least a "small" part.

[/quote]
Don't you mean, "Iger was fulfilling a promise..."?  Eisner left the Walt Disney Company late last year (to which I can only say HOORAY!!!!).

mystery7

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 03:01:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' post=\'115406\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 02:52 PM\']
  Eisner left the Walt Disney Company late last year (to which I can only say HOORAY!!!!).
[/quote]
Too bad CBNC can't say the same thing.

uncamark

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 03:15:52 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'115408\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 02:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'Tony\' post=\'115406\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 02:52 PM\']
  Eisner left the Walt Disney Company late last year (to which I can only say HOORAY!!!!).
[/quote]
Too bad CBNC can't say the same thing.
[/quote]

It's interesting that in some new trade ads CNBC is using the "Bob Barker/David Letterman Defense" that they have a lot of viewers that Nielsen doesn't measure--in their case, places where there are a lot of rich people.  As much truth as there is in that defense, it still looks like a sign of desperation.

ObGameShow:  "DOND" repurposes every Tuesday and Thursday nights in prime time.

Terry K

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 06:57:55 PM »
WWTBAM was part of Meredith's contract with ABC to keep her on the View a few years ago.  Considering potential replacements...

Well, there's an issue of Regis potentially competing with himself (eg, Regis & Kelly), so they won't put him on both shows at once.  That would limit what stations can have WWTBAM and that would be very bad in the long run.

I agree with the sentiment that Bergeron is a very good choice for a replacement.  He's done this type of show before (Squares), and we know his ability to have fun with the contestants is pretty good.  

Another good choice would be Vicki Lawrence.  I think she'd be a very good choice for this show, she's got the personality and she DOES have the experience in hosting a game show.  Plus she's well known, which helps her considerably.  

One other choice that might work is Howard Stern's sidekick Robin Quivers.  She's got a great personality, she's played the game, she can relate to ordinary people (well, think of it this way, she has deal with Howard's guests every day!), and she would be the first black female game show host.  (It also doesn't hurt that she's in NYC and could easily do Millionaire in the afternoons...at one point they were talking about giving her a talk show in syndication anyway)

Jane Pauley might be an interesting choice, but considering how she flopped as a talk show host, I'm not sure they'd want to put her back into syndication again.

As it was discussed a few years ago, they had a very tough time finding Meredith, and finding someone to fill her shoes will be even tougher.  (and since Dick Clark's not an option this time...there will be a long search for a host.)

Kevin Prather

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 07:28:40 PM »
One of my friends suggested Jon Stewart. I dunno how great a pick he'd be, but what do you think?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2006, 07:51:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'115425\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 03:57 PM\']
Regis
Bergeron
Vicki Lawrence
Robin Quivers
Jane Pauley
[/quote]
Oh good lord.

The autistic/Asperger's/whatever you wanna call it tendencies of this board's membership really stand out when there is the least little shakeup in their game shows. Everyone gets in a completely ridiculous tizzy.
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'115427\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 04:28 PM\']
One of my friends suggested Jon Stewart. I dunno how great a pick he'd be, but what do you think?
[/quote]
I think it would be a complete and total waste of Jon Stewart's considerable talents.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FeudDude

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2006, 07:57:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'115428\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 07:51 PM\']
The autistic/Asperger's/whatever you wanna call it tendencies of this board's membership really stand out when there is the least little shakeup in their game shows. Everyone gets in a completely ridiculous tizzy.[/quote]

And there's nothing wrong with that.  Sorry that you can't appreciate our unique way of thinking.

clemon79

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2006, 07:59:33 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' post=\'115429\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 04:57 PM\']
And there's nothing wrong with that.  Sorry that you can't appreciate our unique way of thinking.
[/quote]
If your "unique way of thinking" is "OMG SOMETHING CHANGED IN MY LITTLE WORLD HOW WILL I COPE I MUST KNOW WHO THE NEW HOST IS GONNA BE SO I CAN GET USED TO THE IDEA!!!111!!!ELEVEN", then yeah, I can't appreciate it, sorry.

Kevin Prather

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2006, 08:01:43 PM »
I see no tizzy. I see a perfectly valid discussion topic. What, praytell, is so wrong with that?

FOXSportsFan

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 08:43:39 PM »
Chris, as a person who has 2 autistic brothers, I just ask you be careful in your comparisons to autistic like actions and this board, just a friendly warning.  This board ain't nothing compared to the living a life with two younger autistic brothers.  Rant over, thanks for reading, lol.

clemon79

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 09:10:42 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'115433\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 05:43 PM\']
just a friendly warning.
[/quote]
Or else what?