Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whither Meredith Vieira?  (Read 26917 times)

DrBear

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« on: April 04, 2006, 04:33:01 PM »
With Katie Couric reportedly heading to CBS and Meredith Viera reportedly the favorite to replace her at "Today" the next domino to fall may be the syndie WWTBAM? (which, of course, is the only one these days). Viera still has a two year contract for Millionaire but one wonders if NBC really wants their host doing a game show (then again, it worked for Hugh Downs).

So, any nominees for the hot seat across from the Hot Seat?

(NY Times, requires registration, but what the hell, I wasn't going to link to a cheezy entertainment blog)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Don Howard

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 04:37:26 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'115290\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 04:33 PM\']
With Katie Couric reportedly heading to CBS and Meredith Viera reportedly the favorite to replace her at "Today" the next domino to fall may be the syndie WWTBAM?
[/quote]
Why? Someone else could host it. I understand Richard Karn and Blake Emmons are available. They could co-host.

FOXSportsFan

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 05:27:42 PM »
I don't think Meredith should be the favorite at all...I'd put the (sadly taken) Campbell Brown as the favorite.  She actually has the opposite problem that Katie has...she's more known for her hard news ethic and doesn't come out as big in the lighter stuff according to pundits.  I think she does a fine job alongside Lester on the weekends.   But seeing as how a deal may be done soon, I dunno...I see Meredith, if she indeed signs the dotted line as a transitional host.  A 4 year deal, and that's about it, friends.

The talented Natalie Morales is likely going to be groomed to be filling Ann Curry's spot, no doubt that Natalie is the rising commodity at NBC News.  Ann Curry...not big on her "newsreading" personally.

Alexis Glick shouldn't be let near the show, and hence she won't be again.  She was really ill at ease...stick to the stocks, my friend.

Now, I don't wanna get off on a rant here, but Katie Couric is really going through with the most lucrative career suicide in entertainment history!  She may make a hell of a lot more dough, but she's gonna lose any credibility she has.  This is not to say that she had much to begin with.  I mean when you are more known for your high pitched voice (for which CNN sent her packing), your attempts of dressing half your age, and your interviews with "Hollywood Hunks", I don't think you get instant credibility for an evening newscast.  

Let me compare/contrast a little with the a one Elizabeth Vargas.  Elizabeth Vargas is doing a fine job at ABC...I have no problem with her.  In fact, back when they were hiring she was second in line in my pick to get the gig (I was like the consensus in hoping that Charles Gibson would get his due.)  Elizabeth has a much harder work ethic and has dealt with more hard news than Couric ever has.  Vargas has the credentials to be where she is.

Couric on the other hand...not so much.  I'm sure others agree and some disagree, but "The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric" may just make Dan Rather's reign at the newscast look like glory days.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...but I betcha I'm not! : )

Mr. Bill

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 06:43:55 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'115290\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 04:33 PM\']
...the next domino to fall may be the syndie WWTBAM? (which, of course, is the only one these days). Viera still has a two year contract for Millionaire but one wonders if NBC really wants their host doing a game show (then again, it worked for Hugh Downs).
[/quote]
Two words -- Walt Disney.  No way they'd let Meredith keep Millionaire as long as The Mouse is in charge of its production (the Enemy!).  In fact, a more recent article I've seen online indicates that there is NO DOUBT she will be told to quit WWTBAM if she wants to be on Today.

Re:  Hugh Downs.  He was hosting Concentration, which at the time was an NBC Production.  He was still working for the same boss, the same as when he was announcing the Tonight Show with Jack Paar during the same time frame.

The difference here is obviously the interests of TPTB.  Downs was not potentially working for a conflicting interest.

Mr. Bill

Don Howard

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 10:32:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' post=\'115306\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 06:43 PM\']
Downs was not potentially working for a conflicting interest.
[/quote]
It's always been a curiosity to me how John Daly was allowed to be in a leading role with ABC News while also moderating What's My Line? on CBS.
Is this because ABC was still considered a joke in those days?
Ann Curry I have never liked and will never understand how she was even permitted to sub for Faith Daniels at the news desk back in the day.
Elizabeth Vargas. I'll never forgive the fact that her ABC News ascension cost Morton Dean his spot. Victim of circumstance, I know, and admittedly a blind spot but your Don is human and that's my opinion.
When Connie Chung was paired with Dan Rather, it made me realize that Dan was better than I thought he was. Anyone who replaced Cronkite was doomed due to the comparisons. Roger Mudd was too dull. Charles Kuralt might have been a better choice. I maintain Bob Schieffer should stay put, but I really believe he's taking one for the team by interim-anchoring and would prefer to get back to Washington full-time.
Campbell Brown is excellent. I'd love to have her take the Today spot. I've no idea who'd work well for weekends. Would Natalie Morales be interested in that, I wonder?
All speculation, of course, but that's fun to do sometimes and that's a main reason we're here.

goongas

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 11:14:08 PM »

Tony Danza's show is about to be cancelled, so they may consider him.  Or one of the remaining hosts of The View.  Or perhaps Kelly Ripa (her sitcom will probably be cancelled).  Not that I would enjoy any of these choices...

sshuffield70

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 11:44:17 PM »
Yeah, Kelly Ripa hosting a game show would do wonders for her resume.....let's see....

A dance show...
A soap opera...
A gabfest...
A sitcom....
A game show??.....

Yeah...right.

DrBear

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 11:47:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'115333\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 09:32 PM\']
It's always been a curiosity to me how John Daly was allowed to be in a leading role with ABC News while also moderating What's My Line? on CBS.
[/quote]
Back in the day (CAUTION: UNFOCUSED OLD FART RAMBLING FOLLOWS) networks didn't keep as tight a leash on "their" talent. Curt Gowdy could do damn near every sport for NBC, and still cross over and do "American Sportsman" for ABC. And team announcers, not network crews, did the World Series in whole or in part for NBC (until ABC started in doing baseball in 1976 and insisted on having its own crews work the big games).

Now? Read those no-compete clauses, network jumpers. I'm still surprised Al Michaels is going to NBC. Disney must have REEEEEEEALLLY wanted that rabbit.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 11:57:55 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'115348\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 08:47 PM\']
I'm still surprised Al Michaels is going to NBC. Disney must have REEEEEEEALLLY wanted that rabbit.
[/quote]
Word is that Al made the request himself, and the Mouse granted it to him as thanks for his many years of faithful service.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Bill

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 02:29:19 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'115348\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 11:47 PM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'115333\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 09:32 PM\']
[/quote]
Back in the day (CAUTION: UNFOCUSED OLD FART RAMBLING FOLLOWS) networks didn't keep as tight a leash on "their" talent.

Now? Read those no-compete clauses, network jumpers. I'm still surprised Al Michaels is going to NBC. Disney must have REEEEEEEALLLY wanted that rabbit.
[/quote]
Glad to see I'm not the only "Unfocused Old Fart" on the board, DrBear! :)

In the '50s networks weren't ratings-oriented as much as they are now, so they were a lot more lax about crossovers.

Re: Oswald the Rabbit -- Eisner was fulfilling a promise he made to Walt's daughter that he'd rescue the Rabbit someday.  Surely the additional access to Olympic highlight footage that he "insisted" on receiving from NBC in return for Michaels played at least a "small" part.

And, yes, I'm old.  (How old?)  Old enough to have watched the Black & White Overnight programming when it originally aired on CBS, etc.

zachhoran

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 07:31:33 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'115340\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 11:14 PM\']

[/quote]

Bergeron is about a good a choice as comes to mind offhand. Is he still living in Connecticut as he was when still doing Squares?

Mr. Bill

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 07:47:29 AM »
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

F

O

R

MOUNTAIN

AND

PACIFIC

TIME ZONE

V

I

E

W

E

R

S

Ob Game Shows:  "Let's play a game of Musical Chairs...."

And the game begins.  Katie Couric announced officially as of 7:35 AM EDT she is setting sail for CBS.

Who Wants To Be A Today Show Host?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 07:48:55 AM by Mr. Bill »

Jimmy Owen

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 08:36:49 AM »
Myself, I'd rather see Laurie Hibbard.

Is Millionaire that vital to stations anymore?  It's not really viable in prime access.  Maybe they should rest it for a while.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

NickS

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 08:44:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'115362\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 07:36 AM\']
Myself, I'd rather see Laurie Hibbard.

Is Millionaire that vital to stations anymore?  It's not really viable in prime access.  Maybe they should rest it for a while.
[/quote]

If you're talking about access, you're correct -- but I still think that it would do well in early fringe as a compliment to entertainment news or a lead-in/out to J!, which is what we're doing in fall '06 (lead-in).

Neumms

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 11:40:45 AM »
Millionaire wasn't on all that many stations in prime access to begin with, at least not the big markets. That speaks volumes about how badly ABC screwed it up, if it couldn't replace Access Hollywood. (Obviously, luring Pat O'Brien away might have helped.)