Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whither Meredith Vieira?  (Read 27247 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2006, 12:47:07 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'115553\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 09:24 PM\']
Naah -- on second thought, I'm guessing that somewhere in the contract is a requirement to be nice to the contestants. ;-)
[/quote]
Which is why I won't even bother applying. :)

Bergeron is a _great_ idea, if someone can talk him into hosting another game show. (Mind you, Bergeron's getting into that rarefied air previously only held in my mind by Alan Rickman...I'd watch him read the phone book.) Maury Povich wouldn't offend me, either, he kinda has that friendly-while-still-curmudgeonly Regis vibe.

Whoever they get, though, it needs to be a name, I think...you can't take some nobody and give them the Millionaire job, it requires a certain amount of prestige to be convincing, I think.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

johnnya2k3

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2006, 01:33:56 AM »
[quote name=\'GiraffeBoy\' post=\'115552\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 08:17 PM\']

Seriously, I'm thinking Tom Bergeron would be great for this. He's part of the Mouse House. I don't think "Dancing with the Stars" will be renewed, so he's in need of something to do
[/quote]
Um, Bergeron already has something to do: "America's Funniest Home Videos."

But I don't know what Daisy Fuentes is doing; they should get her to replace Vieira.

Jonathan Allen

BrandonFG

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2006, 01:39:49 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' post=\'115558\' date=\'Apr 7 2006, 01:33 AM\']
Um, Bergeron already has something to do: "America's Funniest Home Videos."[/quote]
Um, and? It's not like he's the first person in the world who would have to pull double duty. His biggest challenge would be commuting between NY, CA, and his home state (Connecticut I think).

And you are seriously on some grade-A crack if you think Daisy Fuentes could do Meredith's job on Millionaire.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 01:40:34 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2006, 01:40:36 AM »
I had a wild thought. If they do have to find someone else, why not a guy who would get the new season some publicity, knows the show inside out, familiar with what makes the show work, and might even work for less money?  How would Michael Davies do as a host?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2006, 01:50:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'115560\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 10:40 PM\']
I had a wild thought. If they do have to find someone else, why not a guy who would get the new season some publicity, knows the show inside out, familiar with what makes the show work, and might even work for less money?  How would Michael Davies do as a host?[/quote]I'll be charitable. Give me word one as to how Michael Davies would be in the top hundred of potential hosts, let alone number one. I don't buy it.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2006, 02:06:26 AM »
I'm hoping Meredith will continue, but Davies does know a lot about the show and how it is put together, whenever I have seen him on TV, he is very poised and articulate. I think he could certainly handle the assignment.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 02:08:36 AM by Jimmy Owen »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2006, 02:06:36 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'115559\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 10:39 PM\']
And you are seriously on some grade-A crack if you think Daisy Fuentes could do Meredith's job on Millionaire.
[/quote]
I can't believe we got this far into the thread without mentioning ubertalent Pat O'Brien.

(Who honestly isn't the worst idea. A damn sight better than Michael Davies, anyhow. Good lord.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2006, 02:13:41 AM »
With Pat, I'm not sure how he would handle the PAF. :)

Seriously, I think Pat is tied up with his syndicated "The Insider" show for prime access for Paramount.  Generally, one does not host two syndicated strips at the same time.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 02:31:53 AM by Jimmy Owen »

BrandonFG

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2006, 02:20:08 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'115564\' date=\'Apr 7 2006, 02:06 AM\']
I can't believe we got this far into the thread without mentioning ubertalent Pat O'Brien.

(Who honestly isn't the worst idea. A damn sight better than Michael Davies, anyhow. Good lord.)
[/quote]
Honestly, I could see it myself...I think he'd do a fairly competent job. And he seems down-to-earth enough to where he could interact with the contestants.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

DrBear

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2006, 08:01:46 AM »
Pat would be OK as long as he doesn't phone it in.

And while I stand next to no man in my appreciation for Tom Bergeron's talents, I think his forte is humor, and WWTBAM takes itself a bit more seriously.

Michael Davies? Well, Chuck Barris hosted HIS own show, and it lasted for a bit...
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Steve Gavazzi

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2006, 08:22:38 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'115559\' date=\'Apr 7 2006, 01:39 AM\']
[/quote]

Based on what I've seen, she couldn't even do America's Funniest Home Videos.

sshuffield70

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2006, 09:26:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'115576\' date=\'Apr 7 2006, 07:22 AM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'115559\' date=\'Apr 7 2006, 01:39 AM\']
[/quote]

Based on what I've seen, she couldn't even do America's Funniest Home Videos.
[/quote]

Why do think she was canned with that John Fugelsang (2 time loser, including "McEnroe")?

Tom did say a few years back (maybe about the time H2 ended...it's too early to think...) that he didn't want to host another game show.  On the good side for DWTS is I would expect it to be renewed again, and there's not too many weeks involved.  And unlike the current and previous occupants, he doesn't have a morning talk show gig.  I say if he wants it, he can handle it.

goongas

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2006, 09:34:55 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'115537\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 10:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'115533\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 07:25 PM\']
If Meredith does leave, I am guessing they will pick someone with talk show host experience, not a game show host.  The show has morphed into a talk show would occassional questions being asked.
[/quote]
Huh?
[/quote]

IMO, WWTBAM has morphed into a game show where the game is not the most important part of the show.  It is the interaction between the contestant and the host.  Michael Davies said in one of Steve Beverly's interviews that WWTBAM has talk show elements in it, and that is why they cast the show the way they do.  Bill Cullen never spent much time discussing the personal lives of his contestants, There was no chit-chat while a question was being asked.  WWTBAM calls for a host that is able to do ad-libbed dialogue well, and good talk show hosts are able to do that.

I think Tom Bergeron would do a great job as host, but I don't think the producers necessarily are narrowing their potential choices, if Meredith decides to leave, to people who only have hosted game shows.  I do agree they will want a well-known person to host the show.

Jimmy Owen

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' post=\'115587\' date=\'Apr 7 2006, 09:34 AM\']

Bill Cullen never spent much time discussing the personal lives of his contestants,

[/quote]

I'm guessing you never had the pleasure of seeing "Love Experts." :)

BrandonFG

Whither Meredith Vieira?
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2006, 09:50:17 AM »
I don't know how well this would fly here, but how about Jerry Springer? (dammit, put down the foreign objects and hear me out!) I know his show is pretty much bottom-of-the-barrel, but he also seems to have good interaction with people, and a pretty witty sense of humor. Don't know how he did on EuroGreed, but I honestly think if you look past his talk show, he actually might not be too bad of a choice.

Now, whether Buena Vista wants to alienate viewers (*cough*Perfesser!*cough*) is another story...especially this is Diz-Nee © we're talking about. Not that it has much to do with it, but I could see someone in the Bible Belt trying to make that correlation.