Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twenty-One is back!  (Read 7076 times)

HSquares2003

Twenty-One is back!
« on: August 29, 2003, 10:09:32 PM »
This has got to be a one-time deal, Twenty-One is going to air on GSN! 9am-3am on 9/21-22. It should have never been axed by NBC in my opinion, or it could have went syndicated.

zachhoran

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 10:17:50 PM »
The show's entire run will air that day I believe(all 19 shows). Word is that the show will not have a regular spot on the schedule at this time.

TonicBH

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 11:17:17 PM »
did it say something to the words of \"21 shows of 21\"? 'cause if so, I think there may be some unaired episodes...
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

zachhoran

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 11:27:28 PM »
NBC didn't leave any episodes unaired. Twenty-One shows means from 9AM-6AM(with no B&W overnight that night if true). Since there are only 19 shows of Povich 21 that were made, 9AM-4AM would be enough to run all of them(19 hours)

Jimmy Owen

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2003, 05:35:02 AM »
Maybe they could run a couple Stempel-Van Doren shows as a B&W nightcap.  At least one show appears to be in the public domain.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2003, 05:38:42 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2003, 07:57:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 30 2003, 04:35 AM\'] Maybe they could run a couple Stempel-Van Doren shows as a B&W nightcap.  At least one show appears to be in the public domain. [/quote]
 THey probably don't have any episode of the 50s Twenty One. It is not within the realm of possibilities that they'd have the 1982 pilot for a new Twenty One that is on the trading circuit, as GSN has a number of pilots from Stewart, Barris, and at least one other from B&E(Hollywood Connection)

whampyl03

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2003, 02:35:04 PM »
THey probably don't have any episode of the 50s Twenty One. It is not within the realm of possibilities that they'd have the 1982 pilot for a new Twenty One that is on the trading circuit, as GSN has a number of pilots from Stewart, Barris, and at least one other from B&E(Hollywood Connection)

I thought GSN had the entire run of '50's Twenty-One.  Oh well, I'm probably wrong though.

PeterMarshallFan

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2003, 02:45:09 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Aug 30 2003, 02:35 PM\']

I thought GSN had the entire run of '50's Twenty-One.  Oh well, I'm probably wrong though. [/quote]
 Why would you think that? There's 3 reasons they can't possibly have it:

1. It wasn't G/T and aired before 1978
2. It aired on NBC
3. AND it aired live

whampyl03

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2003, 03:57:34 PM »
Why would you think that? There's 3 reasons they can't possibly have it:

2. It aired on NBC
3. AND it aired live

Like I said before, I'm probably wrong.

Kniwt

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2003, 04:27:50 AM »
What I fear is that the 19 episodes will be strung out over the 21 hours, with \"interesting\" comments at the breaks -- or, heaven help us all, interviews with Maury.

HSquares2003

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2003, 10:47:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Aug 30 2003, 01:05 AM\'] [quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Aug 29 2003, 09:09 PM\'] This has got to be a one-time deal, Twenty-One is going to air on GSN! 9am-3am on 9/21-22. It should have never been axed by NBC in my opinion, or it could have went syndicated. [/quote]
Woolery left Wheel.... [/quote]
 May I ask what the heck Woolery has to do with this.......

Anyhow, it will be nice to have one day of something different to watch instead of the same originals that have been aired 50 times already.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2003, 11:29:11 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Aug 31 2003, 07:47 PM\'] May I ask what the heck Woolery has to do with this.......

Anyhow, it will be nice to have one day of something different to watch instead of the same originals that have been aired 50 times already. [/quote]
 That's TGSF's way of saying \"thank you for posting a bit of information that the rest of us have known for a solid two months now, next time at least glance through the threads to make sure you're not wasting space.\"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Michael Brandenburg

Twenty-One is back!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2003, 12:32:05 PM »
There are 3 reasons [GSN] can't possibly have [episodes of the original Twenty-One]

2. It aired on NBC [from 1956 to 1958]
3. AND it aired live

Ah, but it aired live on NBC only in the Eastern and Central time zones in the U.S.  To avoid \"dinnertime airings\" of a show that was produced for prime-time in the eastern part of the U.S., the live broadcasts were also \"kinescoped\" for West Coast stations -- they were fed to a monitor onto which a small movie camera was focused and the resulting film was shipped to a facility that would distribute it to the West Coast stations for prime-time airing.  (And that's the way it was in those pre-videotape days of network TV!)

Later, when the scandal broke surrounding the show and all those court hearings were held, I suspect at least some of those kinescoped Twenty-One programs ended up being rerun, but on a courtroom movie screen instead of home TV screens!  In any event, at least the Stempel-Van Doren kinescoped episode from the original run survives and is even available for sale from Shokus Video (on a VHS cassette that also includes one 1951 episode each of Beat the Clock and Pantomine Quiz and a 1955 episode of the original Break the Bank that was hosted by Bert Parks.

Michael Brandenburg
   (Kent Anderson, the author of the 1978 book Television Fraud, may have also obtained the \"scope\" of another famous Twenty-One episode, since he published a transcript of that episode in his book.  This was the match in which challenger James Snodgrass was supposed to play five tie games against the reigning champion Hank Bloomgarden before finally losing to him by a score of 21 to 11, which would have netted Bloomgarden an additional $30,000 in winnings at $3,000 a point.  However, he chose to correctly answer a question that he was supposed to miss in the sixth game, the game ended up in a 21-21 tie instead, and from then on, it had to be a fair contest starting with their seventh game -- which he then proceeded to lose by a score of 21 to zero, giving the accountants at NBC heart failure over the resulting $73,500 payoff to Bloomgarden!)