Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New host for Family Feud  (Read 14897 times)

wheelloon

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 01:53:50 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'114468\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 02:43 PM\']
I thought Richard did a pretty good job, but he never seemed to improve in it. (Of course after Louie, darn near anybody would have been an improvement.)
[/quote]
Well said... ;)

Having never seen TTTT2k (wasn't shown in my area), I have no fronthand opinion on what John O'Hurley will be like, but I've heard almost nothing but praise for his work.

As for the new set, I actually like it in its current form, *ducks under the table* but I never liked it as much as Combs's. Combs's had both the game show and "homey" feel that I'd want and I'd expect out of FF.

Does anybody know if there are going to be any rule changes? I really couldn't imagine what they'd be, except if Fremantle wanted to up the fast money prize, which I somewhat doubt...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

weaklink75

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 01:56:21 PM »
I think this is a really good choice.....He's done a proven format before and did it well. I think he'll bring a bit of sophistication to the show, but he has that kind of dry wit that I think would work well with the contestants. I hope he does well.

I also agree with the people who say they should use the new Austrailan show as a guide for the new set..and maybe use their Fast Money format as well (or at least use the UK version....maybe $50,000 instead of $20,000 if they get 200 points and all 5 #1's between the 2 players?)

Pyramid80

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 01:58:33 PM »
This is the firt I have heard about this.  Is Karn stepping down by choice?  I can't wait to see the new version and am glad to hear that O'Hurley is the new host!

RichZ

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 02:36:47 PM »
I also think that this is great news for Family Feud.  While I don't think Richard was awful, he often seemed disconnected from contestants.  Hopefully John will be able to connect a little more.

On a side note, after watching Deal or No Deal for several weeks, I can't help but think that Howie Mandel would be the perfect pick for a new Feud host (although most likely not interested).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
New host for Family Feud
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'114471\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 12:58 PM\']
Is Karn stepping down by choice?
[/quote]
Usually in the entertainment industry, you don't lose a job "by choice", AFAIK.
That said--what took them so long?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'114476\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 01:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' post=\'114471\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 12:58 PM\']
Is Karn stepping down by choice?
[/quote]
Usually in the entertainment industry, you don't lose a job "by choice", AFAIK.
That said--what took them so long?
[/quote]

The show had been making decent-enough ratings gains for everyone to justify status quo, especially considering the lower expectations all have had all along for this version.

However, the remaining shows in the genre have all taken ratings hits this season--"Feud" may've taken more.  It's also the last-place traditional game show out of the four (the dwindling relationship shows are all lower-rated, though) and Fremantle and Tribune must've decided that it was time to make changes.

Scott

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 03:48:31 PM »
I, too, like this decision.  Having been a regular viewer of TTTT 2K, I think O'Hurley did a nice job as host.  I'm looking forward to seeing how he does here.

entguy1

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 06:03:04 PM »
Here's a way to win a bar bet (assuming you hang out in bars where they discuss game show hosts): According to IMDB, Karn is about eight months *older* than O'Hurley.

megamanj1986

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 06:09:43 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'114470\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 12:56 PM\']
I think this is a really good choice.....He's done a proven format before and did it well. I think he'll bring a bit of sophistication to the show, but he has that kind of dry wit that I think would work well with the contestants. I hope he does well.

I also agree with the people who say they should use the new Austrailan show as a guide for the new set..and maybe use their Fast Money format as well (or at least use the UK version....maybe $50,000 instead of $20,000 if they get 200 points and all 5 #1's between the 2 players?)
[/quote]

Or what about a lil' bit of elements from the Spanish version (minus their version of the Lolli-pop tree and cheap payoffs...lol!)

What I would suggest is that if a team reaches 300 points before Round 4 (Triple Round), they play the Fast Money as normal,

And if the family wins the Fast Money, then they should play a mini bonus round similar to what they do on the Spanish version. Play one extra question and they have to get all the answers in one big sweep! If they get them in one sweep, they could win a grand total of $50,000!!!

What do you think?

The Pyramids

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 06:22:38 PM »
You know I did suggest this in a post earlier this year. Its okay of you all don't remember.

Seriously, this is great news. I just hope there are not a lot of rule changes, if any. They messed with perfection once in '99. Do you really want to see it happen again?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 06:23:00 PM by PaulD »

bandit_bobby

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 06:26:43 PM »
Are you guys sure this is for the TV show and not for the same-name live road show?

If so, what a nice surprise! I'm glad as you are John's getting another chance to host another game show. Not sure why Richard Karn's not coming back, but oh well.

I hope that there will be a little more money avilable to contestants than normal.

itiparanoid13

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 06:40:07 PM »
Yeah, because who the hell wants the pocket change that is $20,000, eh?  And since RANDY WEST said it prior and there was a press release, we're pretty sure it's for the TV show.  How about looking in the post before you unleash yourself upon us.

cmjb13

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 06:51:44 PM »
When I saw the subject line, I thought that this was for the Atlantic City show debuting Sunday. Upon looking again, obviously it's not the case.

I'm quite shocked. I figured he must be doing something right to last this long. He was quite strange at times with his odd use of phrases.

After a round where the question was "Name a famous Dennis", he cut to commercial saying "Dennis the Menace, when's the last time?" I had heard even the director couldn't make sense of what he says at times.

I almost had the privilege of meeting him (taping schedule was tight as he had to do something with his kid), but did see him briefly in the hallway at Feud. He seemed to be a nice guy from what I've heard. But a new host & set change can't hurt. Wouldn't it be nice if they changed the survey board?

As for Burton, I'd be surprised if they let him go. He's lasted through 1 host change. But stranger things have happened.

Should be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 06:53:09 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jeremy Nelson

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 06:58:20 PM »
Well, last time we premiered a show or revival after the Aussies, we ended up with our 80s $ale of the Century set. Hopefully, the same will prove true for the new set. That survey board better change, considering it's pretty much been used since Dawson 94.

John O' Hurley? You can't do much better than that when looking for a new host. I think he will do a great job. I am totally confident that he will not fall into the same "DOUBLE THE POINTS!" monologue/trap that Richard Karn did.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 07:00:49 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

MitchJoseph2004

New host for Family Feud
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 07:34:04 PM »
I was really caught off guard by this one! But to tell the truth, I'm happy. I can already imagine O'Hurley rattling off the questions in a calm manner like Dawson.

Now can we get rid of those awful Karn-introductions, because somehow I don't want to hear "And Now, THE LORD OF THE BOARD! JOOOOOOHN O'HURLEY!"
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 08:19:52 PM by MitchJoseph2004 »