Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PlayMania...  (Read 14307 times)

aaron sica

PlayMania...
« on: March 27, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »
Noticed this in my DVR Guide, first airing is April 7 from 1am-3am.  Appears to be a bunch of interactive games. Anyone who might know, care to elaborate on it?

zachhoran

PlayMania...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 09:38:21 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'114356\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 09:23 PM\']
Noticed this in my DVR Guide, first airing is April 7 from 1am-3am.  Appears to be a bunch of interactive games. Anyone who might know, care to elaborate on it?
[/quote]

GSN started hawking it the other day. Airing it at 1AM doesn't show much confidence in it, however.

FlashStash

PlayMania...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:58:28 AM »
From what they showed, it's very similar to this channel in the UK:

http://www.quiznation.tv/web/index.htm

Which is a pay-to-play quiz channel where you can win small prizes. You used to be able to watch the station on the above website, but that appears to have disappeared.   There were questions like:

52 C. in a D. of P. C.

(52 cards in a deck of playing cards)

And they would take maybe one call every 5 minutes, letting people rack up big phone bills before picking a winner.  Boring TV.  Maybe someone from the K can provide more details about these types of channels.

FS

uncamark

PlayMania...
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 04:14:01 PM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'114429\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 07:58 AM\']
From what they showed, it's very similar to this channel in the UK:

http://www.quiznation.tv/web/index.htm

Which is a pay-to-play quiz channel where you can win small prizes. You used to be able to watch the station on the above website, but that appears to have disappeared.   There were questions like:

52 C. in a D. of P. C.

(52 cards in a deck of playing cards)

And they would take maybe one call every 5 minutes, letting people rack up big phone bills before picking a winner.  Boring TV.  Maybe someone from the K can provide more details about these types of channels.

FS
[/quote]

From what I've heard, these channels or programs are growing like fungus over there.  ITV's overnight schedule is mostly devoted to a similar program, as are some cable/satellite channels (besides the 24/7 channels).  As a revenue-enhancer for overnight hours, I don't blame ITV, particularly because infomercials are still banned from the over-the-air channels (they are allowed on the satellite-cable channels, where they're called "Teleshopping").  As compelling programming, I don't really see it--but Shandi is one of the hosts of our version, so...

Anyway, here's the GSN page on the show (and it looks like Lingo will be one of the games they're going to play):

http://www.gsn.com/specific_page_elements.php?link_id=S86

dougal18

PlayMania...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 09:59:47 AM »
Fungus is the correct word.  Sky Digital is clogged with these channels.

You phone a premium rate number at anything from 60p to a £1.  You are then treated to a recorded message which either says "hold the line" or "sorry try again".  At some point one of the line holders will be get through to the studio.  This could be a very long time.  There are concerns that some channels only allow callers with wrong answers through.  And they don't mention the free web entry either.

The puzzles fall into two types, the easy ones and the impossible ones.

The easy puzzles are loaded with clues from the host.  For example:

PIN/TCUK
Find the programme!

The host would go on about it is a drama about plastic surgeons etc.  The puzzle lasts for quite a while as they don't take a call too quickly.

The hard ones generally involve "Adding the numbers".  Most callers don't realise that Roman numerals are counted as numbers in the answer.

FlashStash

PlayMania...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 03:40:09 PM »
One thing I've noticed with the GSN version is that you will play by sending a text message, and it doesn't appear that there will be a fee or a premium line to call in...time will tell!

FS

aaron sica

PlayMania...
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 07:50:31 AM »
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'114794\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 03:40 PM\']
One thing I've noticed with the GSN version is that you will play by sending a text message, and it doesn't appear that there will be a fee or a premium line to call in...time will tell!

FS
[/quote]

But still, one should check their text messaging rates with their wireless carrier, IMHO....If you don't have a text plan, and it costs .10 to send and .10 to receive, for example, they do add up fast.

Timsterino

PlayMania...
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 10:30:57 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'114853\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 08:50 AM\']
[quote name=\'FlashStash\' post=\'114794\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 03:40 PM\']

FS
[/quote]

But still, one should check their text messaging rates with their wireless carrier, IMHO....If you don't have a text plan, and it costs .10 to send and .10 to receive, for example, they do add up fast.
[/quote]

You can enter online at no charge. There is no purchase requirement.

http://www.gsn.com/playmania/signup.php
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 10:31:29 PM by Timsterino »

johnnya2k3

PlayMania...
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 02:37:34 AM »
I'm watching this right now, but is it just me or does PlayMania look like a bad version of "Mad Money" with all the sloppy camera work (a Steadicam would've been better) and a host who's less annoying -- and more attractive -- than Jim Cramer?

Jonathan Allen

aaron sica

PlayMania...
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 07:55:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' post=\'115535\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 10:30 PM\']

You can enter online at no charge. There is no purchase requirement.

http://www.gsn.com/playmania/signup.php
[/quote]

Cool!

Although what I mean is that even though GSN isn't charging anything, if you're using a cell phone, but don't have a text messaging plan, your fun could could cost you, from your wireless carrier.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
PlayMania...
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 09:27:20 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' post=\'115567\' date=\'Apr 6 2006, 11:37 PM\']
and a host who's less annoying -- and more attractive -- than Jim Cramer?
[/quote]
This pretty much had to happen by default, yes? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SteveRep

PlayMania...
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 10:12:03 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'115574\' date=\'Apr 7 2006, 07:55 AM\']
Although what I mean is that even though GSN isn't charging anything, if you're using a cell phone, but don't have a text messaging plan, your fun could could cost you, from your wireless carrier.
[/quote]
I believe I saw that there's a 99 cent charge on top of what your cell provider charges -- just like DoND's home lucky case game.

I'd say I'd check next time but after 30 minutes, I feel pretty safe in saying there won't be a next time.

Gromit

PlayMania...
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 03:15:08 AM »
Just caught a few minutes of this train wreck. I don't usually do this, but...

Wow.

Jimmy Owen

PlayMania...
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »
I watched the first show. It's preferable to "Street Smarts," but they need a desk or something for Mel to call home base.  She must have walked back and forth across the set a hundred times in the two hours.  Some of the callers either could not hear or understand what she was saying.  I think they should have Mel and Shandi host together, rather than one person ad-libbing for two hours.

I don't recall seeing any commercials during the show either, which may be by design.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 02:01:13 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

FeudDude

PlayMania...
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'115679\' date=\'Apr 8 2006, 10:49 AM\']
I watched the first show. It's preferable to "Street Smarts," but they need a desk or something for Mel to call home base.  She must have walked back and forth across the set a hundred times in the two hours.  Some of the callers either could not hear or understand what she was saying.  I think they should have Mel and Shandi host together, rather than one person ad-libbing for two hours.[/quote]

Yeah, I would agree that there should be two hosts at once, and that they should have a few more things going on.  That said, while this show is nothing I'd go out of my way to watch, it's pretty entertaining for what it is, and you do get very compelled to call in.  As for callers not understanding Mel - cell phones aren't perfect, y'know? ;)

I don't recall seeing any commercials during the show either, which may be by design.

There were a handful of short commercial breaks during the show, but a lot less than what you'd normally see on GSN.