Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL Marathon  (Read 3280 times)

mandelweb

PYL Marathon
« on: March 20, 2006, 03:41:14 AM »
Now, chalk this up to my half-awake state as I flipped the TV on this morning but I swear I saw and heard this...

Did anybody else notice this in one of the "Press Your Luck" episodes that aired Sunday morning on GSN?

During the contestant interview segment, Peter said to the contestant..."So I hear you're gonna take me on a flight..."  The reason for the comment was that the contestant was a student pilot.

Yikes...quite an unfortunate coincidence...

- Mandel
http://mandelweb.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
PYL Marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 05:15:28 AM »
Hmmm.  I've read this complaint on multiple boards.  An additional complaint was lodged against the fact the "divebomber" whammy was used.

While I'm usually rather indifferent to such gaffes--and appreciative of what GSN does...it seems that this "marathon" could have used a little more forethought...for those who may still be "upset".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tyshaun1

PYL Marathon
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 08:37:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 20 2006, 05:15 AM\']Hmmm.  I've read this complaint on multiple boards.  An additional complaint was lodged against the fact the "divebomber" whammy was used.

[snapback]113562[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wasn't gonna say anything about this, but after they played the "kamikaze" whammy, Peter says "apparently he DID get his pilot's license." That was the only thing I found to be in a little bad taste.  But the fact they ran a 9 hour marathon in the first place cancels that out.

Tyshaun

tvmitch

PYL Marathon
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 09:05:13 AM »
Could have been more of a "best of" marathon, which I know would be hard, but...it would be better than throwing up three random consecutive weeks. Still a great tribute though.
You should follow me on Twitter

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
PYL Marathon
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:13:45 AM »
OK, seriously guys, think about this for a minute. Instead of thanking a network devoted to our shared interest for putting out a marathon of your favorite show when they didn't have to do a darn thing, what do we get? "They shouldn't have aired that episode because one of the contestants was a student pilot!" "They shouldn't have aired that other episode because it has a particular whammy animation!" "They SHOULD have aired some of the more exciting episodes instead of a string of episodes!" I saw the same thing on the Livejournal community for game shows, and it's just as silly there.

GSN is not our personal playpen. They're out to make money, and they took out a huge chunk of their broadcast day to honor one of their own. I have a feeling that no matter what they did, the same people would have complained that the episodes would not have lived up to their unreasonable standards.
Travis L. Eberle

Ian Wallis

PYL Marathon
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 01:07:08 PM »
Unfortunatly, the said whammy appeared in many episodes and it probably would have too much trouble to screen each one.  I'm happy that they aired episodes that they've only run once before.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Allstar87

PYL Marathon
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 03:25:56 PM »
I think Travis hit the nail right on the head. It's obvious GSN meant no disrespect; they wouldn't have aired a 9-hour marathon if they didn't care about Peter. It's silly to bash them for a Whammy animation or a contestant being a pilot when they went out of their way to air such a large tribute.

I for one applaud GSN. I'm extremely grateful for the tribute, and happy with the episodes they aired.

mandelweb

PYL Marathon
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 04:02:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' date=\'Mar 21 2006, 03:25 PM\']I think Travis hit the nail right on the head. It's obvious GSN meant no disrespect; they wouldn't have aired a 9-hour marathon if they didn't care about Peter. It's silly to bash them for a Whammy animation or a contestant being a pilot when they went out of their way to air such a large tribute.

I for one applaud GSN. I'm extremely grateful for the tribute, and happy with the episodes they aired.
[snapback]113720[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think anybody thinks GSN meant any disrespect at all.  The fact that they did a marathon was great and frankly was more than I was expecting to see.

However, after seeing the reaction that the "unfortunate coincidences" caused both here and on other boards and blogs,  the network would have benefited from a little more time screening the episodes before they aired in the marathon - especially seeing how the marathon was scheduled as a tribute to Peter.

It's extra work to do...but it's a good proactive, preventitive move...

Mandel Ilagan
http://mandelweb.com

jcompton

PYL Marathon
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »
Silly me, I was too busy letting Peter and the show entertain me to try to draw a left-field parallel between the (fairly common) appearance of a whimsical Whammy and his tragic but clearly totally unrelated demise.

Seriously, gang. It's not as though his tribute screen featured a divebombing Whammy frozen mid-descent and the exhortation "Happy Landings!" or something.