Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN semi-spoiling new Lingo season?  (Read 5874 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
GSN semi-spoiling new Lingo season?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 12:43:09 PM »
"Sale of the Century" did it best, I think, because to even get a shot at the bigger prizes, you had to win enough games to get there. (I liked this about the 1978 version of "Jeopardy!" as well.) On "Hot Potato" or "Blockbusters 87" and so on, you could at least keep coming back to win the money, and you had the doubled tension of 1) are the champions going to win again and 2) are they finally going to knock off the bonus.

I'm less irked by the building cash jackpot that "Sale" had while shopping, after all, you're still taking home at least $56,000, and probably more. With Super Password, it could vary from $5,000 on up. Would that stop me from trying out for "Lingo," given the chance? Hells no. Will I watch the new season when I get a chance. Absolutely. The bonus round is merely an add-on, the pulling of the balls is a glue for the game so it's not just solving five-letter words for a point each.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 11:46:37 AM »
I think that Blockbusters 87 had a useless jackpot system, too. Although every champion built up their own jackpot, that just meant that you could mess up your first nine gold runs, and then get paid for them all by winning the tenth.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 11:48:49 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 01:20:44 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'114446\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 11:46 AM\']
I think that Blockbusters 87 had a useless jackpot system, too. Although every champion built up their own jackpot, that just meant that you could mess up your first nine gold runs, and then get paid for them all by winning the tenth.
[/quote]
Plus $100 for every answer you got right in those nine failed attempts across the board.
You're making more money for not nailing them all than if you'd won them all.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 01:21:36 PM by Don Howard »