Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Marathon News...  (Read 21928 times)

Ian Wallis

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2006, 12:30:29 PM »
I seem to recall reading, somewhere on this board, that Goodson was threatning to pull Price off the schedule if CBS axed Card Sharks. If that indeed is true...guess which show got the axe? (to my dismay)

Can't they only do that when the show's contract comes up for renewal (such as Monty did with "Let's Make a Deal")?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Clay Zambo

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2006, 12:52:15 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 06:46 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 05:21 PM\']And I'd sure rather see the Perry set for Card Sharks over the Eubanks one.
[snapback]113836[/snapback]
[/quote]
But keep in mind that the ENTIRE set won't be recreated here... Someone needs to put up screenshots of the Brit version...i'd bet dollars to donuts that the UK show will act as a template for what's done here...a Massive turntable in the middle of the stage, with scaled down versions of the games played on it...
[snapback]113841[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've seen photos.  I've been sworn to secrecy.  (Sorry, y'all.)  Awe will be inspired.  It's gonna be pretty amazing.

Scaled down?  Not so much.  From what I've seen, it's *exact* replicas.  

Really, I'd love to share.  But I can't.
czambo@mac.com

mandelweb

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 12:52 PM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 06:46 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 05:21 PM\']And I'd sure rather see the Perry set for Card Sharks over the Eubanks one.
[snapback]113836[/snapback]
[/quote]
But keep in mind that the ENTIRE set won't be recreated here... Someone needs to put up screenshots of the Brit version...i'd bet dollars to donuts that the UK show will act as a template for what's done here...a Massive turntable in the middle of the stage, with scaled down versions of the games played on it...
[snapback]113841[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've seen photos.  I've been sworn to secrecy.  (Sorry, y'all.)  Awe will be inspired.  It's gonna be pretty amazing.

Scaled down?  Not so much.  From what I've seen, it's *exact* replicas.  

Really, I'd love to share.  But I can't.
[snapback]114044[/snapback]
[/quote]

I second that emotion...I was at the second episode taping last night...I've also been sworn to secrecy, but they're two for two in terms of getting this done right...  

Based on the couple of UK episodes I saw, the attention to authenticity (from the set to the music to the gameplay to the camera shots) is even greater in the U.S. version.  

"Marathon" is truly a game show fan's dream.  It's been a while since I've been this excited walking away from a taping...

- Mandel
http://mandelweb.com
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 05:32:31 PM by mandelweb »

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2006, 05:47:39 PM »
The things that I saw last night... were beautiful things. I can't even describe it. It was... the show! From then! But it's now!

If a series of specials taking a nostalgic look at classic game shows gets good ratings, does that mean the viewing public is interested in nostalgia or well-produced game shows?

This is not to be missed.

--
Scott Robinson

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2006, 06:00:39 PM »
I was directed to a taping report from another member here who shall remain nameless (by their own request), and they said much the same thing.

They also said that they signed something that disallowed them from divulging any information about what they saw. (And no, nothing in the taping report was in violation of this. Which is cool.)

My question is: how precisely do they think they're gonna enforce this? Are they REALLY gonna sue the pants off of some guy who goes home and writes about it in his LiveJournal?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 06:00 PM\']My question is: how precisely do they think they're gonna enforce this? Are they REALLY gonna sue the pants off of some guy who goes home and writes about it in his LiveJournal?
[snapback]114067[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hm.  I'm wondering does this have anything to do with the preventing the final game results from leaking before its broadcast?  (See Ken Jennings original run and the press leaking out his dethronement in September/October before the actual show aired on the final day of November Sweeps.)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 06:44:54 PM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2006, 06:49:26 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 03:43 PM\']Hm.  I'm wondering does this have anything to do with the preventing the final game results from leaking before its broadcast? 
[snapback]114068[/snapback]
[/quote]
Of course it does. That and the desire for a reality-show producer to keep results secret. But that doesn't answer my question.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2006, 07:16:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 06:49 PM\']Of course it does. That and the desire for a reality-show producer to keep results secret. But that doesn't answer my question.[/quote]
I'm not sure they're wildly concerned about word getting out that the guy from N'Sync beat the funny old guy from Airplane! on Let's Make A Deal.  (And no, I have no idea whether that is in fact what happened.)  My impression from what I've heard (and yes, I'm sworn to secrecy too, blah, blah, blah...) is that a significant element of this is simply wanting fans, even casual ones, to dig the nostalgic kick for themselves and not have it ruined by too much detail getting out ahead of broadcast.  

In essence, it's the shows themselves that are spoilers, more so than the results.  Since fans (pro and am) are making up a chunk of the audience, the producers just want to get the word out that the rest of us should discover this gem for ourselves.  I'm sure Mandel's and Randy's tongues are bleeding from biting on them so hard, especially when we post some of our more fanciful speculations.  No, nobody's going to jail if they put up some details on their website.  But the pros know better, and the amateurs ought to.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jumpondees

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2006, 07:02:08 AM »
Since I haven't seen this asked yet, I'm going to be the one that does it...

For the illustrious members who have been to a taping....Without giving away anything that may put you in hot water... I'm just curious for an opinion or two on how Ricki Lake is doing in her hosting duties on GSM.