Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Marathon News...  (Read 21881 times)

wheelloon

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2006, 12:43:25 AM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 02:21 PM\']Ricki Lake is hosting. (Sorry, but I really can't get behind this selection.  Of course, I'll give her a chance, but I'm not expecting too much.)

Games to be played:
"The Price Is Right"
"Let's Make a Deal"
"Match Game"
"Card Sharks"
"Press Your Luck"
"Beat the Clock"
"Family Feud"
[snapback]113148[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm, of the 7 I thought of they were gonna do, 5 ended up making the list (and against intial reaction, PYL was one of them...hehehe). ;) I thought LMAD and BTC would be replaced by Pyramid and Password, but BTC is just as good of a choice as any of the others shows in the Fremantle library.

LMAD is a shocker, kind of a pleasant one though. I just hope they don't make Leslie Nielsen dress up as a banana...

For the celebrities, Lance Bass should've been a given. He was a semi-regular on H2, and was on WWTBAM and Pyramid IIRC. I'm happy Betty will be there, and Paige Davis will be interesting to watch.

Ricki might end up doing okay on the show. I'm not expecting her to be the NEXT Betty White of game shows, but I think she'll be able to moderate the games well and keep the celebrities in line if they get a little on the wild side...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

mandelweb

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2006, 03:46:51 AM »
Ahh...now that this is all out in the public...gonna throw my few cents in...

Thanks to my great bosses at Fox Reality, I was allowed to do a little consulting work on the side for the "Press Your Luck" episode of the show.  Based on the meetings and discussions I've had with the production team, this looks like it could be quite good.

There is a very conscious effort at the show to keep things authentic.  They are definitely treating these shows with a lot of respect.  I was quite amazed at the questions I was being asked in an effort to keep things true to the classic versions of these shows.

If things go as planned, they are going do things with "Press Your Luck" that I wished we could have done on "Whammy!" but weren't able to do because of certain limitations back then.

I know a number of the producers and staffers on the show and they are game show fans and game show veterans.  They have a genuine love for the genre.  The show is in good hands...

As others have said, it IS a very ambitious project.  From what I know, you're not going to see a 100% carbon copy of the classics, but everything is being done with their parameters to make them pretty damn close to 100%.  

And just think about this...You're seeing SEVEN classic game show titles played on newtork primetime television.  Never in my mind would I think something like that would happen...AND on top of that...these titles are being done in a RETRO style.

I'm VERY excited to see how it all turns out!

- Mandel
http://mandelweb.com

Craig Karlberg

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2006, 04:10:32 AM »
The list of game titles sure looks intresting.  LMAD was a pleasaunt surprise.  So was BTC.  The others I pretty much expected.

I'll give Riki Lake a shot.  As far as I'm concerned, she's the ? for this type of show.  If she does well, great.  But, if she doesn't, well, at least we know she tried to do her best.

The format is very intriguing.  I'm anxious as to how they'll pull of LMAD with 5 celebs or MG for 4.  Either way, it looks like a winner to me.

As for the celebrities, I'm not sure if Lance Bass is good enough to appear on there.  However, reading that Betty White as an MG panelist should counter any negative thoughts in that regard.  Can't wait to let the games begin(GS Marathon, that is)!

cmjb13

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2006, 06:47:44 AM »
Would it be safe to assume that the Feud & Card Sharks sets will be recreations of the CBS versions?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 06:48:05 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

davemackey

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2006, 06:51:05 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 06:47 AM\']Would it be safe to assume that the Feud & Card Sharks sets will be recreations of the CBS versions?
[snapback]113290[/snapback]
[/quote]
Recreations? It's possible the actual sets may still be in storage.

Shredder

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2006, 06:51:23 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 02:11 PM\']
I'm a little hesitiant to the celeb players though....I interviewed Leslie Nielsen last year, and he didn't seem all there these days....
[snapback]113161[/snapback]
[/quote]

Aww, that's sad to hear.  When I wrote him in for an autograph ten years a go, he was not only nice enough to send a personalized sig back, but also answered one of my questions about finding Police Squad videos.  Seems like a very nice  guy and I'd hate to think he may be suffering from old age this soon..

How bad was he?  Listenable, or forgetting every sentance bad?  If it was listenable, I wouldn't mind doing an interview with him for my site..

DrBear

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2006, 07:13:45 AM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this quote from the Variety story:
In a bid for historical accuracy, producers even went so far as to borrow an original "Card Sharks" card from Fox Reality exec (and gameshow historian) Bob Boden so that they could re-create the card for "GSM."

Sounds like it could be serious. I hadn't been too excited about this until reading the article, but now it sounds like a must-tape.

(must admit, I liked Ricki Lake better when she was heavier)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Ian Wallis

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2006, 09:26:14 AM »
Count me among the people who are excited about this and are really looking forward to it.

Let's hope it gets decent ratings and maybe CBS will try something like this again, either on a permanent (i.e. regular contestants) or once-in-a-while type basis.

Isn't it a fact (and if its not, I apologize) that The $25,000 Pyramid returned for a reprieve thanks to viewer mail?

I wonder how much it was because of viewer mail, and how much was because its replacement (Blackout) tanked worse than anybody probably thought.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Pyramid80

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »
I know this is probably a long shot, but I wonder if the original music will be used?

Clay Zambo

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 09:57 AM\']I know this is probably a long shot, but I wonder if the original music will be used?
[snapback]113295[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, Long Shots are from Whew!.  They're not playing that one.  :)

Seriously, though, I'm checking a source for accurate information, but I'd wager "All of it higher!" that they will.  Last I heard was they were striving for complete accuracy.
czambo@mac.com

ITSBRY

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2006, 10:57:40 AM »
[quote name=\'mandelweb\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 03:46 AM\']Ahh...now that this is all out in the public...gonna throw my few cents in...

Thanks to my great bosses at Fox Reality, I was allowed to do a little consulting work on the side for the "Press Your Luck" episode of the show.  Based on the meetings and discussions I've had with the production team, this looks like it could be quite good.

I was quite amazed at the questions I was being asked in an effort to keep things true to the classic versions of these shows.

- Mandel
[snapback]113281[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've said it before and I'll say it again...you have the coolest damn job ON THE PLANET!!! ;)

Bryan
itsbry@juno.com

Pyramid80

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2006, 11:03:42 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 09:57 AM\'][quote name=\'mandelweb\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 03:46 AM\']Ahh...now that this is all out in the public...gonna throw my few cents in...

Thanks to my great bosses at Fox Reality, I was allowed to do a little consulting work on the side for the "Press Your Luck" episode of the show.  Based on the meetings and discussions I've had with the production team, this looks like it could be quite good.

I was quite amazed at the questions I was being asked in an effort to keep things true to the classic versions of these shows.

- Mandel
[snapback]113281[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've said it before and I'll say it again...you have the coolest damn job ON THE PLANET!!! ;)

Bryan
itsbry@juno.com
[snapback]113297[/snapback]
[/quote]

No kidding!

Don Howard

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2006, 11:47:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 09:26 AM\']Count me among the people who are excited about this and are really looking forward to it.
Let's hope it gets decent ratings and maybe CBS will try something like this again, either on a permanent (i.e. regular contestants) or once-in-a-while type basis.
Isn't it a fact (and if its not, I apologize) that The $25,000 Pyramid returned for a reprieve thanks to viewer mail?
I wonder how much it was because of viewer mail, and how much was because its replacement (Blackout) tanked worse than anybody probably thought.
[snapback]113294[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm convinced it was a stop gap until Family Feud was ready. The set was still around for The $100,000 Pyramid, still taping at Television City, and it was an established show so I suspect CBS figured that at the very least it would stop the ratings hemorrhaging at 10am ET created by Blackout.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 11:50:42 AM by Don Howard »

Argo

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2006, 08:41:01 AM »
Just wondering if they would use the original themes to the shows they remake? If thats the case, hopefully they use the on air version of match game theme rather than the actual release. Everytime GSN plays the unedited match game theme during the breaks, its just sounds soo weird.

Jimmy Owen

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2006, 09:05:28 AM »
I don't think the LMAD band is still together.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.