Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Marathon News...  (Read 21882 times)

mmb5

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 03:54:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 02:39 PM\']Michael Burger - MG
[snapback]113166[/snapback]
[/quote]

They didn't ask.

--Mike (I love causing confusion)
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 03:54:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 12:32 PM\']It's played for more laughs than usual, but still done with respect.  Also, as Randy said, this is being put together by fans.  Have faith!
[/quote]
I do. The concern I have is when I read stuff like "Rikki Lake will dress in period garb." Although I suppose that would apply most to Beat The Clock, Deal, and Match Game, which are supposed to be funny anyhow.

But make no mistake, I'm all over this as soon as the Tivo sees it. Maybe sooner.
I thought so too, but that was never the format, and I think we just had the typical reality-show mentality stuck in our heads.  For the first four games, it's the winners who advance.   No one's eliminated until week four, when the two losers on Press Your Luck are out.
Yeah, I'm glad to be wrong about that, this format sounds far more interesting.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

opimus

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 04:09:55 PM »
Some of you might consider the next statment slightly nutty. How much did CBS have to pay Barker not to host  the TPIR segment of GS marathon. Considering he is an Executive Producer on the TPIR woundn't he have some say on who hosts? Wouldn't Bob's ego prevent anyone else from hosting the TPIR in prime time?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 04:10:42 PM by opimus »

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 04:15:21 PM »
I got to see a tiny bit of what they're planning for a couple of the shows, and I was impressed by how much it felt like the classic thing. Hearing that Betty White will be on the Match Game panel is also a good sign. Glad I'll be able to see the tapings!

--
Scott Robinson

clemon79

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 01:09 PM\']Some of you might consider the next statment slightly nutty. How much did CBS have to pay Barker not to host  the TPIR segment of GS marathon. Considering he is an Executive Producer on the TPIR woundn't he have some say on who hosts? Wouldn't Bob's ego prevent anyone else from hosting the TPIR in prime time?
[snapback]113179[/snapback]
[/quote]
Exactly correct on that first count. 'Cept not slightly. And "nutty" implies "playfully eccentric", whereas your notion is more representative of "idiotic."

Matt Ottinger

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 05:09 PM\']Some of you might consider the next statment slightly nutty. How much did CBS have to pay Barker not to host  the TPIR segment of GS marathon. [/quote]
It seems unlikely that money changed hands, but I imagine everybody involved tread very carefully around the egos in play.  Besides, who's to say that CBS didn't want him to be involved?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

FeudDude

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 04:24:53 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 04:09 PM\']Some of you might consider the next statment slightly nutty. How much did CBS have to pay Barker not to host  the TPIR segment of GS marathon. Considering he is an Executive Producer on the TPIR woundn't he have some say on who hosts? Wouldn't Bob's ego prevent anyone else from hosting the TPIR in prime time?
[snapback]113179[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't see why they would stop Barker from hosting it if he really wanted to.  After all, in the eyes of many people (both casual views and fanb01z), he is TPiR.  

All I have to say about Ricki Lake as host is "we'll see".  Remember that many of us were scratching our heads over Howie Mandel being selected as host of DoND, and now he's almost unanimously praised around these parts.  And it sounds like the producers are striving to be faithful to the classic shows.  I'm cautiously optimistic about this project.

tvwxman

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 04:26:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 04:19 PM\'][quote name=\'opimus\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 05:09 PM\']Some of you might consider the next statment slightly nutty. How much did CBS have to pay Barker not to host  the TPIR segment of GS marathon. [/quote]
It seems unlikely that money changed hands, but I imagine everybody involved tread very carefully around the egos in play.  Besides, who's to say that CBS didn't want him to be involved?
[snapback]113186[/snapback]
[/quote]

Still though, the UK vers did TPIR on the first ep, with one clear cut diff from the US version :

The UK didn't have a version of PIR on earlier in the day, with a different audience, a different looking set, and a host other than Bob...

To the untrained eye (the audience), i smell a little bit of confusion. 'Where's my Bob Barker? And who is this girl? Did bob die?'....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

MrGameShow

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 05:10:34 PM »
I think everyone has to take into consideration that the Marathon has to have a UNIVERSAL HOST - not getting the hosts that are still around to make an appearance.. they weren't going to ask Bob to take on hosting one show, then go "And now, here's Ricki Lake to host everything else!"

As for how authentic these shows are, I can personally vouch for PYL, because I was involved in it's development. Keep in mind that every step is being taken to stay true to the feel of the original shows, but various liberties had to be taken to update to today's standards.

Give Ricki a chance - remember that she's had to learn 7 shows in a short time, taping them 4 days apart each. She's a people person, having been a talk show host and all. She's not going to be Bob or Monty or Peter.. she's going to be herself.

I'm somewhat amazed that the people on here are already trash-talking the shows that haven't even been MADE yet - can't you be thankful that CBS is taking the time and money to recreate all of these shows for the fans?

I can tell you this much - if you want these shows to stick around, you had damn well better flood CBS with love letters thanking them for this opportunity; otherwise they'll turn around and say "guess that was a waste of time.. how about we pay for a few more seasons of CSI?"

clemon79

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 05:43:47 PM »
[quote name=\'MrGameShow\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 02:10 PM\']I'm somewhat amazed that the people on here are already trash-talking the shows that haven't even been MADE yet - can't you be thankful that CBS is taking the time and money to recreate all of these shows for the fans?
[/quote]
This really shouldn't surprise you in the least, if you've been reading here any length of time at all. :)
I can tell you this much - if you want these shows to stick around, you had damn well better flood CBS with love letters thanking them for this opportunity;
Now I have a problem. Because we saw how well this worked when it came to hiring a new TPiR announcer.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 06:21:46 PM »
Isn't it a fact (and if its not, I apologize) that The $25,000 Pyramid returned for a reprieve thanks to viewer mail?

We all have our favorites, and on this board, many people enjoy Randy.  However, outside our little group, other people's have their favorites.  How do you know that Rich Fields didn't get a ton of mail to CBS requesting him to be the announcer?

Moreso, I think there's a difference between hiring a person, and deciding whether or not a show should remain on the air.  Let's say that somone wanted to revive Pyramid in primetime...would people be objecting just because they choose someone outside the realm of game shows to host?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 06:41:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 03:21 PM\']How do you know that Rich Fields didn't get a ton of mail to CBS requesting him to be the announcer?
[/quote]
Because we were told so. By Randy, as I recall.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 09:43:27 PM »
Not to dilute the accomplishment, but didn't Randy win a poll on CBS' website with the announcer question? Maybe that and the mail thing were two separate issues, but...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

ITSBRY

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 10:54:51 PM »
I have to admit that when I first heard about this, I wasn't thrilled about Rikki but I'm gonna give her a chance. She is likeable...let's just hope she can lead a game. I have the toughest time seeing her doing LMAD and Price. Todd so deserves this gig. It would be perfect for him (that's gonna start a war, I bet!).

It will be REALLY interesting in any regard.

I'm actually quite shocked that a project like this got green lighted. This is probably the coolest thing to happen in the genre (at least for us nerds) in over a decade and as someone working on this project pointed out...even if one of the shows is successful, it could lead to a classic style revival.

My only wish is that Pyramid was in the mix. I know it's probably a rights thing, but my god...the only thing that could make this better would be to see Pyramid played the right way!

Anywho...no matter how you look at this, it's super cool and very very ambitious. I know that the folks involved will do everything in their power to make it fan friendly and I wish them a huge success with it.

Bryan
itsbry@juno.com

Don Howard

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006, 11:14:14 PM »
Remember! It could've been Rosie O'Donnell, Julie Chen, Charlene Tilton or someone of that quagmire.
Let's give the chick a chance. And if she's horrible, we can look forward to the 500-post thread about how awful she is.
Half of those posts might even be on-topic.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 11:14:43 PM by Don Howard »