Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Marathon News...  (Read 21760 times)

curtking

GS Marathon News...
« on: March 16, 2006, 01:21:22 PM »
Ricki Lake is hosting. (Sorry, but I really can't get behind this selection.  Of course, I'll give her a chance, but I'm not expecting too much.)

Games to be played:
"The Price Is Right"
"Let's Make a Deal"
"Match Game"
"Card Sharks"
"Press Your Luck"
"Beat the Clock"
"Family Feud"

Here's the article...

Curt
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 01:24:20 PM by curtking »

Tony

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 01:27:23 PM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 01:21 PM\']Games to be played:

"Let's Make a Deal"
[snapback]113148[/snapback]
[/quote]
This strikes me as a little odd, since FremantleMedia doesn't own the rights to LMAD.  Perhaps they persuaded Monty Hall to license it to them?

FOXSportsFan

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 01:32:41 PM »
I guess they didn't want to fly me out to L.A. to host, ha...ha...not funny.

Well, Fremantle owns many of the the international licenses to LMAD, right?  If so, it's all kosher.

Pyramid80

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 01:55:23 PM »
I can honestly say I am looking forward to this.  I am not a huge fan of Ricki Lake, but she did have her own talk show which ran for several successful seasons.  That should be an indication that she does have hosting potential.  This looks to be a fun show, and glad that they thought of Betty White!

tvrandywest

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 02:03:30 PM »
Don't jump to conclusions. The 6 revivals are being crafted with loving care by people with great respect for the classic game shows.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 01:43:47 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 02:08:45 PM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 10:21 AM\']Ricki Lake is hosting.
[/quote]
I'm still holding out hope that by "hosting" they mean "presiding over things and then pitching it to a real host when it's time to actually play the game."

Unfortunately, the article doesn't seen to bear that out. Yeesh. I'll still watch and hope I'm wrong, but the potential for embarrassing suckage is there.
Games to be played:
"The Price Is Right"
"Let's Make a Deal"
"Match Game"
"Card Sharks"
"Press Your Luck"
"Beat the Clock"
"Family Feud"
Okay, everybody, all together now..."which of these things is not like the other..."

I knew about six of these. I was at the time assuming that the seventh would be Password, because it REALLY made sense in context. Friggin' LMAD? Is Rikki Lake REALLY gonna gesture grandly over to a trading floor of six celebrities all dressed up as produce?

I have mixed feelings. Some of it looks like a lot of fun, but some of it (especially with Lake at the helm) looks like it's being played for camp parody.

/they're all gonna laugh at you
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:09:07 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 02:11:41 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 02:03 PM\']Don't jump to conclusions. The 6 revivals are being crafted with loving care by people with great respect for the classic game shows. Taping on those start March 23rd at CBS. More to come.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]113159[/snapback]
[/quote]

I actually think she'll do well.  To me, she 'gets' audience related television....and while i think some of those shows are tough to host, she's not some low-rent comic who willl try to inject him/herself into every little bit of the show....

I'm a little hesitiant to the celeb players though....I interviewed Leslie Nielsen last year, and he didn't seem all there these days....

and Cripes. Lance bass? geez.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

weaklink75

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 02:13:20 PM »
It's an interesting selection of shows ....

Probably the show lineup is going to be:

First Round:
TPIR (since you start with 6, I assume it's going to be half-hour show rules)

LMAD (Only show in the group that really could work with 5 people-and they'd better make them wear costumes!)

BTC (This one can be done comfortably with 4, I do wonder how this one will be formatted tho)

PYL (only one that's designed for three)

Semi-finals:
Match Game (70's PM format maybe? even Schafer format would be OK, but not Berger format)

Card Sharks (MUST be Perry or Eubanks format-I'd think we'd all revolt if it was the 00's version)

Final:

Family Feud (probably with the finalists real familes)

I'm not going to pre-judge Ricki Lake until I see the show....We thought Howie Mandel was an odd choice for DoND, and he turned out OK..
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:16:07 PM by weaklink75 »

mmb5

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 02:20:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 02:08 PM\']Okay, everybody, all together now..."which of these things is not like the other..."

I knew about six of these. I was at the time assuming that the seventh would be Password, because it REALLY made sense in context. Friggin' LMAD? Is Rikki Lake REALLY gonna gesture grandly over to a trading floor of six celebrities all dressed up as produce?

I have mixed feelings. Some of it looks like a lot of fun, but some of it (especially with Lake at the helm) looks like it's being played for camp parody.

/they're all gonna laugh at you
[snapback]113160[/snapback]
[/quote]
Password couldn't fit the four-or-five contestant for one winner they would have needed.  The way the British version went was:

Quarterfinals (winner advances, losers go on to next game except for the last one):
TPIR-6 players
Take Your Pick-5 players (either LMAD or BTC will probably go here)
Golden Shot-4 players (either LMAD or BTC will probably go here)
Sale of the Century-3 players (PYL will probably go here)

Semifinals (winner advances, losers go home):
Card Sharks-2 players
Bullseye-2 players (MG will probably go here)

Finals:
Family Feud-2 players with their families

My early money would be on Kathy Najimy as your winner.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 02:39:34 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 11:20 AM\']Password couldn't fit the four-or-five contestant for one winner they would have needed.  The way the British version went was:
[/quote]
Ah, okay. The way I understood it, the format was that the celebrity who did the poorest was eliminated on every show. So I was figuring for Password and 4 contestant left, you'd play two games: the winners of the first game were through to the next round, then swap partners and play again, and the winners of THAT game went through as well. So the one person who lost both games would be done.

I like this format better, though.

Still. Friggin' DEAL?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:39:50 PM by clemon79 »

TalkingHeadsFan

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 02:39:47 PM »
I'm still holding out hope that by "hosting" they mean "presiding over things and then pitching it to a real host when it's time to actually play the game."

This makes an incredible amount of success, getting respective hosts for each show is possible:

Bob Barker - PiR
Monty Hall - LMaD
Michael Burger - MG
Bob Eubanks - Card Sharks
Todd Newton - PYL
Monty Hall or Gary Kroeger - Beat The Clock
Richard Karn, or dare I say bring back Dawson - Family Feud

Sure, easier said than done, but it's nice to dream. I'm just curious as to why Barker isn't making a stink about Lake hosting PiR, even if it is for this little show.

Douglas

clemon79

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 02:42:36 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 11:39 AM\']Sure, easier said than done, but it's nice to dream. I'm just curious as to why Barker isn't making a stink about Lake hosting PiR, even if it is for this little show.
[snapback]113166[/snapback]
[/quote]
Prolly because they said "hey, YOU wanna do it?" and he shut up real quick. Can you see Barker on a stage where he'd have to share the spotlight with known personalities instead of average Joes? Me neither.

As for the mass majority of your potential slate of hosts: wow.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 02:43:26 PM by clemon79 »

Jimmy Owen

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 02:48:07 PM »
I'd love it if Ricki could get John Waters to be an MG panelist.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvwxman

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 03:18:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 02:42 PM\']
As for the mass majority of your potential slate of hosts: wow.
[snapback]113167[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you've seen any of the brit version, they spend a few minutes at the start of each show with a 'biography' of that nights show, with interviews from celebrites, and usually the host....

Regarding PYL as a selection, I can't help but think that maybe some of this was already in the works before Tomarken's plane crash? I wonder if there's any interview video already in the can?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 03:32:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 03:08 PM\']I have mixed feelings. Some of it looks like a lot of fun, but some of it (especially with Lake at the helm) looks like it's being played for camp parody.[/quote]
The British version (which mmb5 was so kind to show me) was lots of fun with no parody anywhere in sight.  Oh, sure, they poked fun (after all, The Golden Shot featured live-in-studio blindfolded crossbow shooting) but they never made fun.  You can actually see the celebrities begin by thinking it's going to be a big goof, then their competitive instincts kick in and it suddenly becomes serious to them.  Basically, think of celebrity versions of Jeopardy, Wheel or some other standard.  It's played for more laughs than usual, but still done with respect.  Also, as Randy said, this is being put together by fans.  Have faith!

One problem is, the British version benefits from having professional funny guys as hosts, so as good as Ricki might be, there's a void there.  In retrospect, imagine how good Howie could have been at something like this.

Password would seem awkward for several reasons.  It's a slow game by modern standards, the players might very well suck at it, and the competitors would be dependent on each other for scoring.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 03:08 PM\']The way I understood it, the format was that the celebrity who did the poorest was eliminated on every show.[/quote]
I thought so too, but that was never the format, and I think we just had the typical reality-show mentality stuck in our heads.  For the first four games, it's the winners who advance.   No one's eliminated until week four, when the two losers on Press Your Luck are out.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 03:33:05 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.