Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN: End-of-show Up Next promos  (Read 9225 times)

Robair

GSN: End-of-show Up Next promos
« on: August 28, 2003, 02:12:32 PM »
As of Thursday (28), by my figuring, the end-of-show promos that play over closing credits have gotten bigger, and the main episode image has been squashed even further into the side of the screen.

And effective this day, more than one of them can play at a time, thus leaving more of the end crediting obscured. Most of the CS episodes I saw today have two at the end. GSN's strategy is likely going to be to fill up as much of this space as possible.
--Robair

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 02:46:45 PM »
(Tongue in cheek idea coming) Why not eliminate all end credits and fulfill any obligations by putting the credits within the show all through the show.  Five minutes into the show just start supering the crew names one at a time.  The crew's family will see the name and viewers will become conditioned to know credits are not a cue to change the channel.  We've gotten used to bugs, we could get used to this.  Plus we have an extra :30 for promotion.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 02:47:50 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 08:44:40 AM »
Why is it that every change GSN makes is for the WORSE -- at least for people like us.  Oh well...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 09:08:12 AM »
Fee plugs 1/4 of the screen size with a GSN promo over it is better than no showing of the fee plugs, and they're showing the fee plugs more now than they once did(particularly on the 1985 episodes of PYL versus the 1984 episodes)

GS Warehouse

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 10:01:07 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 29 2003, 08:08 AM\'] Fee plugs 1/4 of the screen size with a GSN promo over it is better than no showing of the fee plugs, and they're showing the fee plugs more now than they once did(particularly on the 1985 episodes of PYL versus the 1984 episodes) [/quote]
 Has it ever occurred to you that today's average casual TV viewer is stupid enough to try to buy a product that no longer exists?  I don't think they make Today's Girl pantyhose anymore.

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 10:13:01 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Aug 29 2003, 09:01 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 29 2003, 08:08 AM\'] Fee plugs 1/4 of the screen size with a GSN promo over it is better than no showing of the fee plugs, and they're showing the fee plugs more now than they once did(particularly on the 1985 episodes of PYL versus the 1984 episodes) [/quote]
Has it ever occurred to you that today's average casual TV viewer is stupid enough to try to buy a product that no longer exists?  I don't think they make Today's Girl pantyhose anymore. [/quote]
 I know that people would ask to buy products that haven't existed in years. WHat I'm wondering is how many letters or e-mails GSN and/or CBS get about how to enter the PYL Home Sweepstakes that ended 18 years ago.

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 12:34:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Aug 28 2003, 01:46 PM\'](Tongue in cheek idea coming) Why not eliminate all end credits and fulfill any obligations by putting the credits within the show all through the show.  Five minutes into the show just start supering the crew names one at a time.  The crew's family will see the name and viewers will become conditioned to know credits are not a cue to change the channel.  We've gotten used to bugs, we could get used to this.  Plus we have an extra :30 for promotion.[/quote]
\"Turn-On,\" the infamous sketch comedy series that only lasted one episode on ABC in 1969, actually did have the credits spread out through the show, one or two slides every minute or so (since the sketches were even shorter than \"Laugh-In\"'s, no real continuity was disrupted).

It will be noted that George Schlatter never tried *that* gimmick again.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2003, 04:20:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'Aug 28 2003, 01:12 PM\'] As of Thursday (28), by my figuring, the end-of-show promos that play over closing credits have gotten bigger, and the main episode image has been squashed even further into the side of the screen.

And effective this day, more than one of them can play at a time, thus leaving more of the end crediting obscured. Most of the CS episodes I saw today have two at the end. GSN's strategy is likely going to be to fill up as much of this space as possible. [/quote]
 Has GSN ever considered going back to the 40 minute blocks-where the could show the endless promos?  Or were the 40 minutes beacause the had intersetial games inserted?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2003, 04:49:48 PM »
Has GSN ever considered going back to the 40 minute blocks-where the could show the endless promos? Or were the 40 minutes beacause the had intersetial games inserted?
Definitely \"Decades\" and \"Race for the Numbers\" were the point of the extra time between shows in the beginning.  Back then, they hardly had any commercial time sold at all (most of what they had was promos for other Sony/Columbia-Tristar product) so even then we were seeing the same GSN promos over and over.  Anybody else miss \"Please Mr. Hostman\"?

While there are probably a few benefits to the 40-minute blocks (and it's definitely outside-the-box thinking) I don't think GSN has any plans to go back to that scheduling.  They certainly won't do that solely for the purpose of letting you guys see your precious end credits in the clear.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2003, 09:43:48 PM »
Yet another reason to thank God every day for Black & White Overnight.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2003, 08:58:32 AM »
Anybody else miss \"Please Mr. Hostman\"?

Although those early promos were over-run, I think some of them were really cool.  I especially like the old interviews they did with people like Jim Lange, Charles Nelson Reilly and Kitty Carlisle among others, on their game show memories.  

Most of them disappeared after about six months or so, but some of them resurfaced around the time of GSN's first anniversary.  Luckily I was able to grab a few of them on tape back then.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

J.R.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 06:58:58 PM »
You know, if you can't talk about or watch GSN without disgust, do what I have done: Just simply stop watching GSN all-together. There are plenty of other networks out there that showcase game shows and it doesn't hurt to start trading.

If you want GSN to change: Start a petition, write paper letters, heck, declare a boycott if you want to. Just do SOMETHING. Complaning and whining about it all the time rarely, if ever, brings about any change.

PS: By no means am I saying that I would support a boycott. That would be too harsh.
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2003, 07:09:40 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Sep 2 2003, 06:58 PM\'] PS: By no means am I saying that I would support a boycott. That would be too harsh.
 [/quote]
 Not really....how many of us actually are Neilsen households? Not many, I don't think. I know I'm not.