Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wrestler to appear on DonD Mon.  (Read 9436 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wrestler to appear on DonD Mon.
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2006, 02:29:24 AM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 11:16 PM\']I've gotta say, I'm kinda surprised how many fellow WWE fans there are on this board. Not to mention who some of them are. Is this just a happy coincidence of common interests, or do you suppose there's some correlation that would cause fans of one to be fans of the other?
[snapback]112044[/snapback]
[/quote]
The former, seeing as I also know a great many game show fans who not only couldn't give a rip about the WWE, but roll their eyes when I mention it. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2006, 11:50:28 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 03:29 AM\'][quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 11:16 PM\']I've gotta say, I'm kinda surprised how many fellow WWE fans there are on this board. Not to mention who some of them are. Is this just a happy coincidence of common interests, or do you suppose there's some correlation that would cause fans of one to be fans of the other?[/quote]
The former, seeing as I also know a great many game show fans who not only couldn't give a rip about the WWE, but roll their eyes when I mention it. :)[/quote]
I disagree.  Naturally, two such diverse interests aren't going to be 100% mutually compatible -- I imagine there are quite a few WWE fans who roll their eyes at the mention of game shows.  Still, the overwhelming evidence, from Henke to...well...me, would suggest some kind of common appreciation that you couldn't chalk up to coincidence.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 11:51:13 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2006, 12:09:55 PM »
From the NBC "DOND" contestant application (the ten-page one):

Neither you nor any member of your immediate family or anyone living in your household may be or have been within the last two (2) years employees, officers, directors or agents of any of the following:
i. NBC Universal, Inc. (“NBC”), Endemol USA Inc., Lock and Key Productions, Coconunu Productions, Skycastle Entertainment Company/Sullivan Compliance Company or any of their respective parent, subsidiary or affiliated companies;
ii. Any television station or channel, cable network or satellite network that airs or that may the Program;
iii. Any person or entity involved in the development, production or distribution or other exploitation of the Program;
iv. Any sponsor of the Program or its advertising agency; or
v. Any person or entity supplying services or prizes the Program.

In addition, the Producers reserve the right, but are not obligated, to disqualify or render ineligible any person who the Producers determine, in their sole discretion, is sufficiently connected with the production, administration, casting, judging or distribution of the Program such that his or her participation in the Program could create the appearance of impropriety. Such decisions shall be final and are not subject to challenge or appeal.

If Nunzio is not a member of the immediate family or lives in the household of the contestant, no one's violating anything--but that's when that last paragraph might kick in.

clemon79

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2006, 12:58:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 08:50 AM\']Still, the overwhelming evidence, from Henke to...well...me, would suggest some kind of common appreciation that you couldn't chalk up to coincidence.
[snapback]112054[/snapback]
[/quote]
Then I suggest that it's because the majority of us here are 1) male, and 2) of the right age to be aware of the WWE either during its heyday or its recent renaissance.

If the game show thing enters into it at all, then it's probably because many of our number seem to have an affinity for shiny things. :)

clemon79

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2006, 01:06:23 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 09:09 AM\']If Nunzio is not a member of the immediate family or lives in the household of the contestant, no one's violating anything--but that's when that last paragraph might kick in.
[snapback]112055[/snapback]
[/quote]
Which simply gives them the option to can someone if they want to. The issue here is more one of whether this person was selected to play BECAUSE of this association. And that's not illegal, they can go out and actively recruit anyone they want to play their game so long as they fill the Eligibility Rules, as opposed to Guidelines. It just leaves a bad taste in our mouth.

LA the DJ

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2006, 08:13:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 12:58 PM\']
If the game show thing enters into it at all, then it's probably because many of our number seem to have an affinity for shiny things. :)
[snapback]112062[/snapback]
[/quote]

There may actually be a little bit to that. Both game shows and the WWE are big extravaganzas with lots of lights and music. Neither genre would be where it is now without those production values, most likely.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2006, 08:29:40 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 05:13 PM\']There may actually be a little bit to that. Both game shows and the WWE are big extravaganzas with lots of lights and music. Neither genre would be where it is now without those production values, most likely.
[snapback]112089[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, gawd.

comicus

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2006, 08:37:54 PM »
I never cease to be amazed at the number of game show/wrestling fans...

Yeah, I'm one too.

LA the DJ

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2006, 08:39:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 08:29 PM\']Oh, gawd.
[snapback]112090[/snapback]
[/quote]

Okay. Valid point to the contrary. I stand corrected.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

NickS

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2006, 10:15:40 PM »
You know, FWIW, if a regular joe would have watched -- no one would have known that was Nunzio.

Count me in the wrestling fandom, even if it's in a big lull right now.

clemon79

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2006, 11:17:31 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 07:15 PM\']You know, FWIW, if a regular joe would have watched -- no one would have known that was Nunzio.
[/quote]
Which makes me ask why he introduced himself as "Nunzio" when he was completely out of character and pimping his product not at all.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2006, 11:35:03 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 08:37 PM\']I never cease to be amazed at the number of game show/wrestling fans...

Yeah, I'm one too.
[snapback]112091[/snapback]
[/quote]

Me too. I keep waiting for the day I get a tape of a Tom Kennedy-hosted game show, and it opens with Tom standing there wordlessly, and after the applause dies down, he holds the microphone as close to his mouth as possible and screams, "KENNEDYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!"

Ten percent laugh, 10 percent think "Wow," 80 percent totally ignore the post.

clemon79

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2006, 11:41:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 08:35 PM\']Me too. I keep waiting for the day I get a tape of a Tom Kennedy-hosted game show, and it opens with Tom standing there wordlessly, and after the applause dies down, he holds the microphone as close to his mouth as possible and screams, "KENNEDYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!"
[/quote]
Man, I LOVE Ken Kennedy. The evil-public-address-announcer bit hits me right where I live. Helps that he can wrestle a little, too. :)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2006, 12:26:27 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 7 2006, 12:17 AM\'][quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 07:15 PM\']You know, FWIW, if a regular joe would have watched -- no one would have known that was Nunzio.[/quote]
Which makes me ask why he introduced himself as "Nunzio" when he was completely out of character and pimping his product not at all.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.[/quote]
Yeah, that passed without incident, thank goodness.  NBC must have some scruples after all.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2006, 02:16:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 03:44 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 03:49 PM\']Yes, as a matter of fact, I HAVE. (XIX, just down the road from me at Safeco Field.) What now? Huh? Huh? ;)[/quote]
Well I was at Wrestlemania III, and that makes me...I don't know, older?
[snapback]112010[/snapback]
[/quote]

Been to WrestleMania 1, and I'm only 30 now.  In fact, been to WMs 1, 10, 15, and 20.

ObGameShows:  If Richard Karn were here, he'd DOUBLE THE POSTS in this thread!
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15