Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wrestler to appear on DonD Mon.  (Read 9525 times)

Jimmy Owen

Wrestler to appear on DonD Mon.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 03:48:02 PM »
When I think of Steve Austin, I think of Lee Majors and "The Six Million Dollar Man."    So would Universal have to go through McMahon to use the name in a remake?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 03:49:12 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 12:24 PM\']I don't know if Vinnie SMed all or part of the name.  I just throw that out there.
[snapback]112007[/snapback]
[/quote]
Based on this article, and some other research, my guess is that Austin owns the rights to his actual stage name, but Vinny Mac owns the "Stone Cold" nickname.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 04:29:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 03:44 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 03:49 PM\']Yes, as a matter of fact, I HAVE. (XIX, just down the road from me at Safeco Field.) What now? Huh? Huh? ;)[/quote]
Well I was at Wrestlemania III, and that makes me...I don't know, older?
[snapback]112010[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sad to admit, I've been to 3 (X, XI, XV)

Having done a little more research, it appears the big reason the WWE does that is to protect themselves against unscrupulous types wanting to use WWE names in marketing their own products, and not so much to keep the performers from jumping ship. And if, as you say, the performer also co-owns the trademark in many cases, then Vince probably has more control over the character names that the WWE creates than he does over the stage names he had nothing to do with, though for the purposes of protecting the product they all have that little ® beside them. Still looks weird.
Over the past few years, the company has acquired tape libraries & intellectual properties from several different defunct promotions. Their claim now (and I know this applies to at least ECW & WCW, not sure about others) is that they own the trademarks & intellectual properties associated with those companies. And they will not allow performers to use those trademark/properties elsewhere, even if they never worked WWE. But this is quite tricky as some own the character after demonstrating prior use of it when the company tried to claim it (Ultimate Warrior, although he went to court), while others may go to court to demonstrate it (Dudleys).
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

jalman

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 04:46:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 03:48 PM\']When I think of Steve Austin, I think of Lee Majors and "The Six Million Dollar Man."    So would Universal have to go through McMahon to use the name in a remake?
[snapback]112012[/snapback]
[/quote]By that logic, I'm waiting for Brian Bosworth to take McMahon to court also ;-)

As stated before, Steve Austin owns the rights to his stage name.  If Universal believed they had a case against WWE or Austin, Raw likely would not be on USA network (A NBC/Universal property) now.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 04:46:55 PM by jalman »

clemon79

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 05:43:25 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 01:46 PM\']By that logic, I'm waiting for Brian Bosworth to take McMahon to court also ;-)
[/quote]
I think I've mentioned this before, but I paid to see that in a theater. Matinee prices, but still.

As a result, I don't sweat pirating stuff from Columbia/Tristar, because as far as I'm concerned, they owe me $4.50. :)

Monarx

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 06:04:01 PM »
I'm a wimp, I've only been to a live event, and a Raw is War.

OBGS: Alex Trebek, Vanna White, Regis Philbin, and Ray Combs were all at WrestleManias.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 06:04:26 PM by Monarx »
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

tvwxman

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 07:18:15 PM »
I've stood in the ring for Smackdown. Really.

As an employee/onair 'talent' of the UPN station in town, when Smackdown was taped at Mohegan Sun,  I was asked to go and say a word or two before the action started up....

You ever stand in the middle of a ring and have 7000 overcafinnated, oversexed men scream at you? Here's a hint : They weren't yelling 'you rock!'.

Humbling.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

cmjb13

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 07:49:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Monarx\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 06:04 PM\']OBGS: Alex Trebek, Vanna White, Regis Philbin, and Ray Combs were all at WrestleManias.
[snapback]112024[/snapback]
[/quote]
Steve Allen too.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

jalman

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 08:09:35 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 07:18 PM\']You ever stand in the middle of a ring and have 7000 drunk, undersexed men scream at you? Here's a hint : They weren't yelling 'you rock!'.

Humbling.
[snapback]112026[/snapback]
[/quote]Fixed.

ObGS:  I'm convinced that Randy Savage is a loon based on his appearances on Family Feud.  Seriously, he was all over the stage.  His antics made for some amusing TV though.  Oh, and I miss Slick.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 08:10:45 PM by jalman »

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 09:33:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 04:18 PM\']You ever stand in the middle of a ring and have 7000 overcafinnated, oversexed men scream at you? Here's a hint : They weren't yelling 'you rock!'.
[snapback]112026[/snapback]
[/quote]
Apparently they mistook you for Kurt Angle.

/obscure?

LA the DJ

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 11:07:48 PM »
It seems like NBC has been dying for DonD just to have a show to overpromote their own stuff all over. Thank God Celebrity DonD would be virtually pointless.
 Wrestlers do tend to make for fun contestants to watch, though. In addition to Savage, the WWF Weakest Link (Yes, it was WWF back then) was pretty entertaining, and Diamond Dallas Page made for an entertaining Hollywood Square. However, Hogan, any time he's out of the ring, is generally pretty bland.
 I'm sure there will be a Saturday Night's Main Event commercial or two during the show. However, you'd think that they would pick a guy that most people actually might know. (I know, I know, this really shouldn't have even happened) I barely know Nunzio, and I'm a pretty big wrestling buff. Never got to see a PPV, but I saw 2 Nitros, 2 Thunders, 2 WCW house shows, and a Raw in Cleveland.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 11:22:05 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 08:07 PM\']However, you'd think that they would pick a guy that most people actually might know. (I know, I know, this really shouldn't have even happened) I barely know Nunzio
[/quote]
And this is the saving grace of the whole rigged-contestant-booking theory...if you're gonna pick the relative of a WWE employee to help you pimp Saturday Night's Main Event, you're gonna find someone better than friggin' NUNZIO.

(Which is not to say this was a happy accident, by any stretch. But if it WAS carefully preplanned, was this really the best they could do? If Raw's start time ever bumps to 9:30 from 9:00, Nunzio's out of a job.)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 12:39:38 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 08:18 PM\']They weren't yelling 'you rock!'.[/quote]
I'm sure they were all saying "You rock!", Matt.  You just misunderstood them.

That's a nice weatherman, now.  Go over in the corner and lie down now, and I'll read you another story.

(My best personal appearance gig:  Introducing Greg Lee at a shopping mall during the heyday of Carmen Sandiego.  I think I'd rather do a WWE gig, no matter WHAT they called me.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 12:41:13 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Monarx

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 12:41:33 AM »
If this ends in "I'm your papi", I'm leaving.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

LA the DJ

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2006, 02:16:59 AM »
I've gotta say, I'm kinda surprised how many fellow WWE fans there are on this board. Not to mention who some of them are. Is this just a happy coincidence of common interests, or do you suppose there's some correlation that would cause fans of one to be fans of the other?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.