Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wrestler to appear on DonD Mon.  (Read 9535 times)

brianhenke

Wrestler to appear on DonD Mon.
« on: March 04, 2006, 06:56:13 PM »
This is accurate game show-pro wrestling news:

WWE star Nunzio will appear on Deal or No Deal Monday night. His brother is a contestant. WWE.com has posted a clip of Nunzio appearing on DoND.

Brian

Will Smith played Hutch?
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Monarx

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 07:04:33 PM »
If you view the clip, you WILL be spoiled.
The countdown to 100 ended awhile ago, why are you still here?

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 07:39:02 PM »
Or, even better, it can help you determine whether or not to invest in the whole episode.

Who is the wrestler, and should i care that NBC is picking wrestler's families to play the game... oh looky here!

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/listings...d=20060225nbc24

Next week, Joey plays so he can win Ross a ticket to L.A.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 10:16:46 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 06:56 PM\']This is accurate game show-pro wrestling news:
[snapback]111965[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is so stupid, it's funny.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 10:46:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 08:39 PM\']Who is the wrestler, and should i care that NBC is picking wrestler's families to play the game... oh looky here!

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/listings...d=20060225nbc24
[/quote]

One, it never ceases to amuse me that Vince has registered trademarks on some of these people's actual names.

Two, if anything good can come out of fluff like Dancing With the Stars, let us hope that Stacy Keibler can use it to escape the clutches of the WWE, or at least negotiate herself a nice juicy deal the next time around.  Apparently her current indentured servitude...uh, performance contract is about to run out, and it couldn't come at a better time.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 11:19:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 07:46 PM\']One, it never ceases to amuse me that Vince has registered trademarks on some of these people's actual names.
[/quote]
Except his real name is James Maritato.

Oh, yer talking about Trish Stratus. Yeah, that's a stage name, too. (Her real name is Patricia Stratigias.) "Edge" is actually Adam Copeland. It's petty, yes, but if he's dumping assloads of money into promoting this character, why should they be able to take the character name with them if they should jump to another company?

(In some cases, the trademark is owned by the wrestler, too.)

(Yeah, I watch wrestling. Wanna fight now? :))
Apparently her current indentured servitude...uh, performance contract is about to run out, and it couldn't come at a better time.
While I'm not defending Vinny Mac, I don't see the real difference between Stacy's "indentured servitude", and the deal Don Pardo has at NBC, which by all reports is fair and equitable compensation, since all Don has to do is talk into a mic, and all Stacy has to do is look good in a short skirt.

(And she's pretty damned good at her job. :))
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 11:20:05 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jalman

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 01:52:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 11:19 PM\']
(Yeah, I watch wrestling. Wanna fight now? :))

[/quote]Yes, we shall...the only way we'll settle our grudge is in a steel cage.

Er, what was I trying to type?

Oh yes, Vinnie Mac's trademarking everything in sight goes all the way back to the Hulkamania era and the WWF national expansion.  That doesn't surprise me one bit.  Now how real names like John Cena get trademarked...I don't really know since I'm not a lawyer or a Lawler.

Apparently her current indentured servitude...uh, performance contract is about to run out, and it couldn't come at a better time.
While I'm not defending Vinny Mac, I don't see the real difference between Stacy's "indentured servitude", and the deal Don Pardo has at NBC, which by all reports is fair and equitable compensation, since all Don has to do is talk into a mic, and all Stacy has to do is look good in a short skirt.

(And she's pretty damned good at her job. :))
[snapback]111974[/snapback]
Matt's showing sympathy for the wrong Diva.  Poor Ashley's nasty fall resulted in her leg breaking in several places.  Stacy Keibler may, may have a shot of the being the first true female wrestling personality to crossover into the mainstream; where the artists formerly known as Chyna and Sable failed.

There's a Wrestlecrap article on those two posted this week.  The horror...

ObGS:  I should've recorded the two Combs-era Feud wrestling specials.

Oh...and where will Nunzio's hillbilly cousin be? Too wealthy for DOND?  ;-)

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 02:42:51 AM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 10:52 PM\']Now how real names like John Cena get trademarked...I don't really know
[/quote]
Apparently not really reading the article, either, since the only service marks I saw were on Edge and Trish Stratus, which are both stage names, as I said above.

jalman

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 07:16:37 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 02:42 AM\']Apparently not really reading the article, either, since the only service marks I saw were on Edge and Trish Stratus, which are both stage names, as I said above.
[snapback]111981[/snapback]
[/quote]I read the article and earlier posts.  That comment of mine was just a general observation about the use of real names as trademarks.

JayDLewis

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 12:22:43 PM »
Not to throw cold water on this but...doesn't think stink?

NBC is getting wrestling from the WWE and it just so happens that a relative of a WWE employee plays DoND.

I thought most games (show orotherwise) had clauses that said something to the effect of employees and their families of primary and subsidiary companies are ineligible to play.

What's next, the sister of the weather-guy for NBC New York is on during a ratings period?
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 12:27:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 12:19 AM\'](Yeah, I watch wrestling. Wanna fight now? :))[/quote]

I've BEEN to a Wrestlemania, have you?

I deliberately chose the words "actual name" to mean the name they use in public, though I admit there's a subtle distinction between that and "real name" if I don't make it clear which I'm talking about.  My impression was that "Trish Stratus" was a fitness model using that name long before Vince got his mitts on her, and that several other normal-sounding names Vince has trademarked (many of which were not mentioned in the specific, referenced article) were being used by the performers long before they joined the WWE.

Having done a little more research, it appears the big reason the WWE does that is to protect themselves against unscrupulous types wanting to use WWE names in marketing their own products, and not so much to keep the performers from jumping ship.  And if, as you say, the performer also co-owns the trademark in many cases, then Vince probably has more control over the character names that the WWE creates than he does over the stage names he had nothing to do with, though for the purposes of protecting the product they all have that little ® beside them.  Still looks weird.

Matt's showing sympathy for the wrong Diva.
When I'm watching Stacy I try not to have anything showing.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 12:31:41 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 01:22 PM\']Not to throw cold water on this but...doesn't think stink?
NBC is getting wrestling from the WWE and it just so happens that a relative of a WWE employee plays DoND.[/quote]
You know, it hadn't really occurred to me until you laid it out like that, but you're right.  There was a time when that sort of thing would have set off every standards and practices alarm in the building.  The Apprentice and Las Vegas plugs were harmless add-ons, but especially if there's a plug for the WWE event during the game, it seems like somebody ought to be taking a good, hard look at the motivation for picking that particular contestant.

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 02:49:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 09:27 AM\']I've BEEN to a Wrestlemania, have you?
[/quote]
Yes, as a matter of fact, I HAVE. (XIX, just down the road from me at Safeco Field.) What now? Huh? Huh? ;)
My impression was that "Trish Stratus" was a fitness model using that name long before Vince got his mitts on her, and that several other normal-sounding names Vince has trademarked (many of which were not mentioned in the specific, referenced article) were being used by the performers long before they joined the
WWE.
Well, again, do we know for certain that Vince is the rightsholder on that service mark? I know in a lot of cases the workers had their stage names copyrighted before they got there.
Having done a little more research, it appears the big reason the WWE does that is to protect themselves against unscrupulous types wanting to use WWE names in marketing their own products, and not so much to keep the performers from jumping ship.
Right. There's nothing as frustrating as seeing someone marketing Nunzi-O's without getting your slice of the pie. :)

sshuffield70

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 03:24:32 PM »
If it's much of a help (and it may not be)....

I recall when Steven Williams came out of the Chris Adams Wrestling School (run by World Class Championship Wrestling.  Neither the WCCW nor Chris Adams exist anymore.)

Anyway, for awhile, he went by his real name.  The company then brought in Chris' ex-wife and his then-current wife for a storyline.  When that happened he became "Stunning Steve Austin".  As we know, when he switched to the WWF..er...WWE, that became "Stone Cold Steve Austin".  I don't know if Vinnie SMed all or part of the name.  I just throw that out there.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 5 2006, 03:49 PM\']Yes, as a matter of fact, I HAVE. (XIX, just down the road from me at Safeco Field.) What now? Huh? Huh? ;)[/quote]
Well I was at Wrestlemania III, and that makes me...I don't know, older?