Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows that taped despite technical problems...  (Read 15985 times)

Ian Wallis

Shows that taped despite technical problems...
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2006, 09:00:05 AM »
As per David Hammett's tale, he was in the audience for the first part of that show, but couldn't see the conclusion to that show because of the incident. As the show aired, there are some VERY noticeable edits towards the end. =)

Wasn't that the second episode with the new color scheme?  The one where there were 11 whammies, the guy was playing against the house and he kept spinning?  I wonder if the problem with the slides prevented the show from being the only one with 12 whammies...

That's another question that could be posed about this topic...have any of these technical difficulties possibly affected the outcome of the game?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Don Howard

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2006, 12:20:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Mar 6 2006, 07:20 PM\']Over at our Channel 8 -- WJW,  all of the meteorologists do an 8-day...Except for their 75-year-old King of all Meteorolgists (40+ years doing Cleveland Weather), he sticks with 5 days.
(ON TOPIC:  Don Webster, retired WEWS Meteorologist, has hosted Cleveand's "Academic Challenge" the longest.)
[snapback]112086[/snapback]
[/quote]
And Dick Goddard, the aforementioned 75-year old meteorologist and lover of woolybears, emceed Bowling For Dollars during the late 1970s. Former weekend weatherman Bob "Houlihan" Wells, now seen in commercials which play on GSN: The Network For Games as the guy who says, "Get your own Rascal!!!", was his substitute during times of vacation or illness.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 12:21:42 PM by Don Howard »

Casey

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2006, 05:38:03 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 05:30 AM\']Nine pages, and nobody has mentioned the "Press Your Luck" episode where the slides blew!

Well, not all of them, but some of them blew enough where a show had to be completed during a different taping session. As per David Hammett's tale, he was in the audience for the first part of that show, but couldn't see the conclusion to that show because of the incident. As the show aired, there are some VERY noticeable edits towards the end. =)
[snapback]112293[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wouldn't this qualify as not being related to the subject though?  They had to stop tape to fix this...

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2006, 07:59:31 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 05:38 PM\'][quote name=\'jdhernandez\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 05:30 AM\']Nine pages, and nobody has mentioned the "Press Your Luck" episode where the slides blew!

Well, not all of them, but some of them blew enough where a show had to be completed during a different taping session. As per David Hammett's tale, he was in the audience for the first part of that show, but couldn't see the conclusion to that show because of the incident. As the show aired, there are some VERY noticeable edits towards the end. =)
[snapback]112293[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wouldn't this qualify as not being related to the subject though?  They had to stop tape to fix this...
[snapback]112326[/snapback]
[/quote]
It's not related at all.

Brandon Brooks

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2006, 12:26:10 PM »
[quote name=\'mcfly95\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 11:43 PM\']-In the winner's circle during a $100K pryamid tourney, the trillion (probably the $250 one) didn't turn for a few seconds,
[snapback]112359[/snapback]
[/quote]

There are no trillions on Pyramid.  It never went above hundred thousands. :-P

[quote name=\'mcfly95\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 11:43 PM\']- On PYL, they never did the spin displays right, always a flub or two in each ep.
[/quote]

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but what the hell are you babbling about?

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2006, 12:31:53 PM »
[quote name=\'mcfly95\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 11:43 PM\']A few I can think of:
-In the winner's circle during a $100K pryamid tourney, the trillion (probably the $250 one) didn't turn for a few seconds, and Teresa Ganzel was just flustered, and they didn't stop the clock or add on, not fair to me.
[/quote]
Did it affect gameplay?  If not, then it doesn't make a difference.
- On the pryamid today (I think) while Nathan Cook was giving clues in the 1st round, with 10 seconds to go, they do an abrupt quick shot of his head, without any chyron displayed, kind of scary.
That's not a technical problem.
- On PYL, they never did the spin displays right, always a flub or two in each ep.
Huh?  They seemed to work fine to me.

Brandon Brooks

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2006, 12:57:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 01:31 PM\']
- On PYL, they never did the spin displays right, always a flub or two in each ep.
Huh?  They seemed to work fine to me.[/quote]
You're obviously not a Tomarkenite.  I think what he's referring to was that, in the tens of thousands of total transitions that went by in a half-hour, you could almost always be able to point out at least one time when a screen didn't display correctly.

I mean, we're talking about "In the second round, on the champion's seventh spin, about three seconds in, on the top row, the third box from the left, the screen went blank when it should have shown a $1200 space between its usual cycle of a Whammy and a Flotaki rug."  But yeah, he's probably right.

It would not surprise me if there's a website documenting these.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2006, 02:00:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 12:57 PM\'][quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 01:31 PM\']
Huh?  They seemed to work fine to me.[/quote]
You're obviously not a Tomarkenite.  I think what he's referring to was that, in the tens of thousands of total transitions that went by in a half-hour, you could almost always be able to point out at least one time when a screen didn't display correctly.
[snapback]112397[/snapback]
[/quote]

I thought he was talking about the spins-earned/spins-passed displays.  But there's probably a website documenting errors on those, too.
czambo@mac.com

Unrealtor

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2006, 04:12:43 PM »
[quote name=\'mcfly95\' date=\'Mar 9 2006, 10:43 PM\']- On the pryamid today (I think) while Nathan Cook was giving clues in the 1st round, with 10 seconds to go, they do an abrupt quick shot of his head, without any chyron displayed, kind of scary.
[/quote]

(Slightly off topic for the thread, I know...) The audio sounded continuous, which screamed obvious edit to me. Wasn't the other contestant brought back later? I swear I remember her doing better than she did on that episode.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

tyshaun1

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2006, 09:25:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 10 2006, 12:57 PM\']
You're obviously not a Tomarkenite.

[snapback]112397[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ya know, it drives me crazy when I see these kinds of posts, making it sound like anyone who is a PYL fan is some sort of cultist or fanboi. Now I agree that there are people who do take the show waaaay too seriously (more than the show ever did), but that could be said for pretty every game show out there. But bringing out "Tomarkenite" again? I thought we were past that, guys.

Tyshaun

dzinkin

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2006, 09:55:51 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 09:25 AM\']Ya know, it drives me crazy when I see these kinds of posts, making it sound like anyone who is a PYL fan is some sort of cultist or fanboi. Now I agree that there are people who do take the show waaaay too seriously (more than the show ever did), but that could be said for pretty every game show out there. But bringing out "Tomarkenite" again? I thought we were past that, guys.
[snapback]112481[/snapback]
[/quote]
I think you're overreacting, since I can't imagine that Matt meant any harm by it.

It is indisputably true that back on ATGS, the number of obsessive fans of PYL far outnumbered those of any other show, and as the person who coined the term "Tomarkenite," it was never my intent to brand every PYL fan as such -- just people like the guy who thought that 100 letters to Tiger would force the company to make a PYL handheld game, or the guy who screamed about PYL sound effects not working on a web site and who wanted to pay eleventy bazillion dollars for a pirated Whammy T-shirt on eBay.  Unfortunately people who couldn't see the difference -- or didn't want to admit that there was one -- started claiming that every PYL fan was being branded a Tomarkenite, which in turn led to certain other people actually branding every PYL fan a Tomarkenite in response.

That said, while the term eventually was abused on ATGS, this doesn't even come close to abuse.  And since I see the thread going nowhere fast, I think this is as good a place as any to end it.