Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows that taped despite technical problems...  (Read 15765 times)

WhammyPower

Shows that taped despite technical problems...
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2006, 01:18:57 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 09:18 PM\']I'm surprised no one has as yet mentioned the infamous "dark slides" on PYL...that happened on many occasions, yet, unless somebody hit the "dark slide," they just played on like it wasn't there...:)
[snapback]111827[/snapback]
[/quote]
People seem to have forgotten Rafferty Blockbusters as well.  But, by all means, please continue.

WhammyPower

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2006, 02:04:51 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 01:49 PM\']Anybody remember when the board went kerblooey and all those weird shapes started appearing?  In the back of my mind, I recall watching this on the old CBN, and ISTR Bill ad-libbing something about whether contestants can make a word out of the visible letters, since there so many...um, not-letters.  Unfortunately, a ticket or contestant plug followed, so we'll never see it on GSN.
[snapback]111784[/snapback]
[/quote]
I believe this particular ep. might have aired on GSN.... I have a clip of the end result after this happened during a Gold Run.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2006, 02:32:00 PM »
How 'bout last night's D/ND?  Not a serious technical difficulty, mind you, but certainly an amusing one.  In this era of stopdowns, I'm surprised they left it in.  But, spoiler-wary, I'll say no more.
czambo@mac.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 02:36:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 3 2006, 03:32 PM\']How 'bout last night's D/ND?  Not a serious technical difficulty, mind you, but certainly an amusing one.  In this era of stopdowns, I'm surprised they left it in.  But, spoiler-wary, I'll say no more.[/quote]
Because Howie made show out of it.  Just another example of how, it seems, these people are learning from past mistakes and appear to know what they're doing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 02:43:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 3 2006, 11:32 AM\']How 'bout last night's D/ND?  Not a serious technical difficulty, mind you, but certainly an amusing one.  In this era of stopdowns, I'm surprised they left it in.  But, spoiler-wary, I'll say no more.
[snapback]111880[/snapback]
[/quote]
(I'm carefully choosing my words here, and since it had no bearing on gameplay, I don't think it's a big deal anyhow, but....)

I'm thinking two things: 1) with this show, any opportunity for Howie to be Howie is a good one, and that was a golden opportunity, and 2) I'm gonna guess they were gonna pitch to a break around that time anyhow.

And when that happened, I immediately looked, and noticed that Howie doesn't wear an IFB. (Of course he doesn't, how would they conceal it with that bald-assed head? Matt, how do you conceal yours? ;))

Anyhow, if I have avoided bannination, I was amused to realize that it isn't just a prop, that's a set piece that actually gets used.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 03:26:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 3 2006, 03:43 PM\']And when that happened, I immediately looked, and noticed that Howie doesn't wear an IFB. (Of course he doesn't, how would they conceal it with that bald-assed head? Matt, how do you conceal yours? ;))[/quote]
Not knowing how much you're joking...

I wore one as a news anchor, I don't wear one on QuizBusters.  We just use a good old-fashioned floor director and hand signals.  On both shows, though, unlike Howie, I'm always facing forward so it's harder to see the wires.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

pyrfan

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2006, 01:02:36 AM »
The Chyron broke down once on "Super Password," and Bert Convy had to write down the password and hand it to each celebrity. There was no way to show it to the audience, though.

Also, there were a few times during the second Tournament of Losers where the puzzle slots wouldn't open, so Bert had to write the puzzle words and answers on a piece of posterboard.

Brendan

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2006, 01:27:36 AM »
I recall the survey displays not working on more than a few occasions on Eubanks/Rafferty Card Sharks....  The survey results would be added in post-production by way of the mighty Chyron.

WOOHOO!  100 POSTS!!!
--Matt

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2006, 03:30:20 AM »
In reference to the maxed-out Solari board from earlier, here's a similar case only it involved an eggcrate display:

On an episode of the Canadian game show Mad Dash I saw from  around 1980 or so, one of the couple's displays went from $600 to $200.  That occured when they landed on a Double Your $ space on the gigantic gameboard.  To rectify that, a placard with the number 1 was used to denote the thousands digit making that score correct as $1,200.  That's what happens when you yo-yo back & forth from the Double Your $ space several tines I guess.

zachhoran

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2006, 07:33:38 AM »
[quote name=\'mparrish11\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 01:27 AM\']I recall the survey displays not working on more than a few occasions on Eubanks/Rafferty Card Sharks....  The survey results would be added in post-production by way of the mighty Chyron.

WOOHOO!  100 POSTS!!!
[snapback]111921[/snapback]
[/quote]

They would use the Chyron to display contestant's guesses for Educated guess questions. This began a few months after they debuted, when the answers could be numbers >= 100. When they first debuted EG questions, contestants were given pencil and paper to write down their answers.

TimK2003

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2006, 08:05:49 AM »
I'm surprised no one had mentioned the "Face the Devil" malfunction on TJW that has appeared on some blooper shows -- the one where the contestant broke the giant lever.  

I seem to recall that the contestant had to finish the round without using the big lever, no??

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2006, 08:44:36 AM »
There was an incident on the post-all-star "Password" in 75 where Allen asked the contestant panel to test their arrows.  Sure enough, one of the contestant's arrows wouldn't go up.  Allen then assured everyone that the sound would suffice; suddenly there was a loud thud  off-stage and the arrows worked after that.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 12:49:39 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2006, 12:46:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 03:30 AM\']In reference to the maxed-out Solari board from earlier, here's a similar case only it involved an eggcrate display:

On an episode of the Canadian game show Mad Dash I saw from  around 1980 or so, one of the couple's displays went from $600 to $200.  That occured when they landed on a Double Your $ space on the gigantic gameboard.  To rectify that, a placard with the number 1 was used to denote the thousands digit making that score correct as $1,200.  That's what happens when you yo-yo back & forth from the Double Your $ space several tines I guess.
[snapback]111926[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not focusing on just you... but why again is this a technical problem?!?!?

People, from what I understand, technical problems are things not working correctly, like having weird shapes on the Blockbusters board.  Just because a eggcrate display could not show $1200 doesn't mean it didn't work correctly.  In addition, all of those "TPiR difficulties" GS Warhouse mentioned earlier are called flubs.  This previous Mad Dash example is not even a difficulty or a flub.

Jeez.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 03:01:13 PM by Brandon Brooks »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2006, 02:24:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 4 2006, 05:44 AM\']suddenly there was a loud thud  off-stage and the arrows worked after that.
[snapback]111936[/snapback]
[/quote]
Was that sound the producer s**tting a brick? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2006, 03:21:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 3 2006, 02:43 PM\']I'm thinking two things: 1) with this show, any opportunity for Howie to be Howie is a good one, and that was a golden opportunity,
[snapback]111882[/snapback]
[/quote]

True dat.

and 2) I'm gonna guess they were gonna pitch to a break around that time anyhow.

Wouldn't be surprised.  Mr. West?

And when that happened, I immediately looked, and noticed that Howie doesn't wear an IFB.

Non-technical Que?

Well, clearly I screwed up that quoting.  Ah, well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 04:13:29 PM by Matt Ottinger »
czambo@mac.com