Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows that taped despite technical problems...  (Read 15989 times)

TraderRob

Shows that taped despite technical problems...
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 12:05:33 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 06:24 AM\']Davidson HS - I recall at least one regular show (not final-week or pre-Florida trip) in which all of the celebrities used the X/O cards because none of the symbols would light up.  JD said that it was due to a technical problem.
[snapback]111743[/snapback]
[/quote]

This happened quite a bit in the show's infancy and there never seemed to be any rhyme or reason to it.   One side of the board would work but the other side wouldn't.   And then as Dave mentioned, the famed episode in January 1987 where the entire board went dark around the end of game 1 and into game 2.

John barely had control of the celebrities on a normal day - nothing like having to have him yell at them to make sure to hold up their X or O.  

And then on other shows, the amount of money won shown on the contestant podium wouldn't come up...yet another proud moment for John when he asked the staff to put up $500 for the contestant because they couldn't do it before the commercial due to a technical problem and then it still wouldn't appear! :-)

Rob

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 12:36:21 PM »
In a semi-related DD note to Mr. Wuthrich's post, at least twice the clock jumped from 30 to 19 during a physical challenge - in both cases, completion of that challenge was irrelevant to who ended up winning, but they handed them the $80 anyway. Simiarly to what he said, physical challenges went without an on-screen clock, but Marc would explain the music lasted as long as the challenge and "when the music's over, the physical challenge is over."

A "Family Feud" all-star special appeared to have the main game answers flipped manually - they came around less "cleanly" and with more force than on the average day.

There was that famous incident on "Blockbusters" when Bill Cullen asked viewers to use lipstick to draw in an unlighted red hexagon.

And TPIR is the absolute perfect example of this. Chaser lights in "Dice Game" not operating, the sound effect on the wheel going kerplooey, etc. If TPIR stopped down for every error, they'd have one hell of a day in the studio.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

gameboy2000

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 01:27:19 PM »
There was one Family Double Dare ep where the clock did not work during a physical challenge, so they went by the music instead. The team completed the challenge just in time.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

TV Favorites

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 01:53:16 PM »
Also, in several TPiR episodes with Barker's Bargain Bar, the trilons would not turn, so they were flipped by hand manually.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 01:59:22 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 09:36 AM\']There was that famous incident on "Blockbusters" when Bill Cullen asked viewers to use lipstick to draw in an unlighted red hexagon.
[/quote]
I hear Karlberg is _still_ trying to wipe that lipstick off of his TV. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TV Favorites

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 02:02:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 02:59 PM\'][quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 09:36 AM\']There was that famous incident on "Blockbusters" when Bill Cullen asked viewers to use lipstick to draw in an unlighted red hexagon.
[/quote]
I hear Karlberg is _still_ trying to wipe that lipstick off of his TV. :)
[snapback]111777[/snapback]
[/quote]

I hear Daddy's wristwatch might do the trick. :)

GS Warehouse

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 02:49:19 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 12:36 PM\']There was that famous incident on "Blockbusters" when Bill Cullen asked viewers to use lipstick to draw in an unlighted red hexagon.[/quote]Anybody remember when the board went kerblooey and all those weird shapes started appearing?  In the back of my mind, I recall watching this on the old CBN, and ISTR Bill ad-libbing something about whether contestants can make a word out of the visible letters, since there so many...um, not-letters.  Unfortunately, a ticket or contestant plug followed, so we'll never see it on GSN.

[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'same post\']And TPIR is the absolute perfect example of this. ... If TPIR stopped down for every error, they'd have one hell of a day in the studio.
[snapback]111768[/snapback]
[/quote]I'll say...the wrong number being revealed in Lucky Seven...Bob forgetting contestants have two chances to win Pick-a-Pair, not one...that contestant in Shell Game that peeked under a shell ("That's dumb!").  Technical difficulties on TPiR should merit their own thread! :-)

Don Howard

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 03:08:19 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 07:46 AM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 07:32 AM\']
And although not really a technical problem, I seem to remember an episode of Liar's Club on USA where the contestant maxed out the display and they had to tape a "1" on the left end. Too few solari's, I suppose. :)
[snapback]111745[/snapback]
[/quote]
I suspect that was the incident that caused the rules to change to a $100 maximum bet per round, assuming the player had more than $100.
[snapback]111747[/snapback]
[/quote]
I suspect it had more to do with honoring a tighter budget.

tvwxman

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 03:18:33 PM »
The Jeopardy College Championship @ Yale, 2003.

During the final match, the end lectern light pen wouldn't work. After an hour of technical work , and Alex running out of decent questions to take from the audience, the kid wrote his response on a piece of cardboard.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 03:37:40 PM »
There was that famous incident on Anybody remember when the board went kerblooey and all those weird shapes started appearing?  In the back of my mind, I recall watching this on the old CBN, and ISTR Bill ad-libbing something about whether contestants can make a word out of the visible letters, since there so many...um, not-letters.  Unfortunately, a ticket or contestant plug followed, so we'll never see it on GSN.

It has aired on GSN. (It was John Hatton's first episode.) The weird shapes, I believe, served a function similar to a screensaver and popped up on the board while the letters were being changed between games. You seldom saw them on the show, though. Isn't this interesting?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 10:56:49 PM by Matt Ottinger »

ChuckNet

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 03:50:22 PM »
At various points in the 70's, NABET technicians staged walkouts at all three networks and a number of episodes of their game shows were taped with management personnel manning the cameras. Not really technical problems, but those shows were just barely broadcastable, because the managers weren't as skilled as the regular crews.

This was particularly apparent on an early 1972 ep of TPiR, which featured some horrible camera shots that occasionally looked blurry...Bob himself, upon seeing a tape of this ep via GSN some 25+ yrs later, called it an embarassment.

There was one ep of Face the Music where the score displays on the podium apparently disappeared between games 1 and 2...Ron even mentioned it on the air, saying "I'm going to be keeping track of your scores, because we had a little computer breakdown just now", which he did, recapping the scores every time a subject was guessed.

During one ep of the 80s Treasure Hunt, the big logo sign started to malfunction during the show, more letters going out as the ep went on until it was completely dimmed by the time Emile Autouri's segment rolled around.

During a Christmas-themed daytime FF in 1979 (as was mentioned in an earlier, unrelated thread), there was a computer problem, so Fast Money was played on cue cards that day, w/production assistants writing down the answers and points.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 08:32:26 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 02:49 PM\']I'll say...the wrong number being revealed in Lucky Seven...Bob forgetting contestants have two chances to win Pick-a-Pair, not one...that contestant in Shell Game that peeked under a shell ("That's dumb!").  Technical difficulties on TPiR should merit their own thread! :-)
[snapback]111784[/snapback]
[/quote]
Now, pre tell, how were any of those technical difficulties?

Brandon Brooks

ITSBRY

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 09:54:19 PM »
This was a VERY cosmetic thing that didn't affect game play at all, but the chasing lights on the arches of the Davidson Pyramid set were always out of synch or the whole pattern would just flash on and off.

They didn't really get it corrected so that it consistantly worked until the midway through the second season. It's really amazing how distracting it was actually. I always thought it made the show look a little cheesy and was surprised they didn't fix it quickly. I guess when you're used to the 80s version, which I think was the slickest looking and running game show I've ever seen, maybe the standard is just high.

Man, when they worked right that set was a thing a beauty tho! ;)

Bryan

beatlefreak84

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 10:18:41 PM »
I'm surprised no one has as yet mentioned the infamous "dark slides" on PYL...that happened on many occasions, yet, unless somebody hit the "dark slide," they just played on like it wasn't there...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Mar 2 2006, 06:54 PM\']I guess when you're used to the 80s version, which I think was the slickest looking and running game show I've ever seen, maybe the standard is just high.
[/quote]
I was about to "wow", and then I realized you were talking about Davidson PYRAMID and not Davidson Squares. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe