Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "You Don't Say!" - twice a local game show?  (Read 9344 times)

TwoInchQuad

"You Don't Say!" - twice a local game show?
« on: May 21, 2005, 03:21:12 PM »
I didn't realize this, but in looking at Steve Beverly's interview with Betty White, she mentions working around LA during the 1970's, and then also mentions that she did the local version of YDS, before it went national.

I thought at first she was referring to the 60's Barry version, but as it turns out, there must have been an L.A. version in the 70's, as well, because I've now seen an exceedingly short clip of one of the show endings.  I don't recognize the host, but the set is almost identical to the 70s ABC version, again hosted by Tom Kennedy.  

There is a credit in the roll for "Mr. Race's Wardrobe By...", so I'm guessing that's the host's last name. but does anyone here have some definitive info on this short-lived local production of the show?

Thanks for any help!

-Kevin
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 03:32:34 PM by TwoInchQuad »

Chief-O

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 04:38:55 PM »
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' date=\'May 21 2005, 02:21 PM\']There is a credit in the roll for "Mr. Race's Wardrobe By...", so I'm guessing that's the host's last name. but does anyone here have some definitive info on this short-lived local production of the show?
[snapback]86038[/snapback]
[/quote]

Clark ["Parent Game"] Race?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 04:39:30 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 04:41:47 PM »
Yes Clark Race hosted it.  It was on KTLA Channel 5 at 10:30 on Sunday nights from 4/22/75 until 6/29/75. Tom Kennedy was a panelist.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 05:04:24 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 04:33:38 AM »
It was on KTLA Channel 5 at 10:30 on Sunday nights from 4/22/75 until 6/29/75.
Ew, who'd put a game show on at 10:30 pm on Sunday nights?

Robair

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 07:02:09 AM »
Hey hey now! That's where WPVI in Philly used to show the nighttime "Celebrity Sweepstakes"! A great time to watch a game show!

After all, there is a game show on GSN at 10:30 on Sunday, right? (Unless it's poker or something...)
--Robair

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 09:00:17 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 23 2005, 03:33 AM\']
It was on KTLA Channel 5 at 10:30 on Sunday nights from 4/22/75 until 6/29/75.
Ew, who'd put a game show on at 10:30 pm on Sunday nights?
[snapback]86201[/snapback]
[/quote]

Didn't CBS put one on Sunday nights for 17 years?

DrBear

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 09:53:27 AM »
And once again, a reply is burned to a crisp when the Sarcasm Detector (tm) fails to go off when needed.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

aaron sica

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 10:00:36 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'May 23 2005, 09:53 AM\']And once again, a reply is burned to a crisp when the Sarcasm Detector (tm) fails to go off when needed.
[snapback]86213[/snapback]
[/quote]

Either that, or it's a case of PJTP.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 11:18:09 AM »
In 1975 it could have been a lead-in to Sammy & Company.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 11:22:34 AM »
"Best of Groucho" aired right after YDS on Channel 5. "Sammy" was on KNBC late Sunday night.

In the spring and early summer of 75 in LA, it would have been possible to watch YDS and Groucho and then switch to 4 for Sammy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 11:49:21 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 11:29:20 AM »
Here is Eugene Levy's take on Sammy & Company:

It was a talk show where all they did was kiss each other's butts. Sammy would come out and do his number. The crowd would applaud. He would cry and thank the audience for being so wonderful. Then a guest would come out and Sammy would fawn all over him. The guest would reply in kind by fawning all over Sammy. Sammy would volley back a barrage of flattery. The guest would return the favor:

"I have to say this. I can't keep it to myself anymore. You are one of the greatest talents in the world."(Applause) "Oh, no, no. Get out of here, Sammy. YOU are the greatest entertainer in the world and you know it!" (Wild Applause) "Man, oh, man... you're great. But really, YOU'RE the best. Not me. I worship the ground you walk on. (Tears) I really do, man.I love you!" (A few claps, tears from the audience) "I LOVE YOU, SAMMY! WE ALL LOVE YOU! Isn't that right, everybody?" (Sammy and guest hug) (Wild, wild applause, whistling, tears) "Man, would you like to do another number? ""Only if you sing it with me, Sammy!" (Applause) (Sammy and guest take the stage and butcher a then-current Top 40 hit) Then another guest would come out and it would start all over.

As I recall, after the opening number Sammy would sit down at the panel and the butt-kissing began with announcer William B. Williams.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 11:31:30 AM by chris319 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 02:14:18 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 23 2005, 09:00 AM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'May 23 2005, 09:53 AM\']And once again, a reply is burned to a crisp when the Sarcasm Detector (tm) fails to go off when needed.
[snapback]86213[/snapback]
[/quote]

Either that, or it's a case of PJTP.
[snapback]86215[/snapback]
[/quote]

(reads post in question...Clementson...Mackey, R., Horan...)
Yes, that is definitely PJTP. Same thing happened on one of the P+ posts. (rolls eyes)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 02:35:02 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 23 2005, 10:29 AM\']Here is Eugene Levy's take on Sammy & Company:

It was a talk show where all they did was kiss each other's butts. Sammy would come out and do his number. The crowd would applaud. He would cry and thank the audience for being so wonderful. Then a guest would come out and Sammy would fawn all over him. The guest would reply in kind by fawning all over Sammy. Sammy would volley back a barrage of flattery. The guest would return the favor:

"I have to say this. I can't keep it to myself anymore. You are one of the greatest talents in the world."(Applause) "Oh, no, no. Get out of here, Sammy. YOU are the greatest entertainer in the world and you know it!" (Wild Applause) "Man, oh, man... you're great. But really, YOU'RE the best. Not me. I worship the ground you walk on. (Tears) I really do, man.I love you!" (A few claps, tears from the audience) "I LOVE YOU, SAMMY! WE ALL LOVE YOU! Isn't that right, everybody?" (Sammy and guest hug) (Wild, wild applause, whistling, tears) "Man, would you like to do another number? ""Only if you sing it with me, Sammy!" (Applause) (Sammy and guest take the stage and butcher a then-current Top 40 hit) Then another guest would come out and it would start all over.

As I recall, after the opening number Sammy would sit down at the panel and the butt-kissing began with announcer William B. Williams.
[snapback]86222[/snapback]
[/quote]

And Levy and his fellow "SCTV"ers parodied it all with "The Sammy Maudlin Show."  Who can forget Levy as Funnyman Bobby Bittman ("HOW ARRREEEE YAAAA?") and Catherine O'Hara as Lola Heatherton ("I WANNA BEAR ALLL YOUR CHILDREN!  HA HA HA!").  Joe Flaherty was Sammy and John Candy was William B.

ObGameShow:  "Night School Hi-Q" with host Alex Trebel, among other sketches.

ChuckNet

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 10:16:55 PM »
Yes Clark Race hosted it. It was on KTLA Channel 5 at 10:30 on Sunday nights from 4/22/75 until 6/29/75. Tom Kennedy was a panelist.

Seems like quite a few shows, in those days, were given on-air tryouts in LA before going national...before beginning life on CBS, Ch. 5 test-ran TJW in 71 (these eps supposedly featured 3 players and a payoff system of $25/$50/$75), and KTTV (Ch. 11) aired Liar's Club as a weekly show during the 75-76 season (which was good, since they needed time to work the kinks out of the scoring system).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 10:42:19 PM »
(these eps supposedly featured 3 players and a payoff system of $25/$50/$75)

A clip of which I'm sure you have somewhere in that monstrous library...was used in an early CBS promo for Joker.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck