Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune question  (Read 5243 times)

adamjk

Wheel of Fortune question
« on: May 10, 2004, 09:48:17 PM »
I saw a Wheel episode the other night, from last season I guess, that had a tie. To break the tie, they did another tossup, to determine the winner. My question is, before the tossup was instituted, how were ties decided?

Also, since I'm on the subject, when did they start using the tossup rounds?

Tony

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 09:54:20 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:48 PM\']I saw a Wheel episode the other night, from last season I guess, that had a tie. To break the tie, they did another tossup, to determine the winner. My question is, before the tossup was instituted, how were ties decided?[/quote]
IIRC, the players who were tied for the lead would play another (if there was one played just prior) Speed Round, beginning with Pat spinning the wheel to establish a (new and seperate from before) dollar amount for consonants.

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 09:56:10 PM »
Before toss-ups, ties on the nighttime version were broken with a speed-up round played only by the tied players.  Rules were the same as a regular speed-up round (Pat spins to determine $ value for each consonant, one letter guess per turn and 5 seconds to solve if it's in the puzzle.)  On the daytime version, a tie meant nobody played the bonus round and all three players continued where they left off the next day.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 09:56:31 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:48 PM\'] I saw a Wheel episode the other night, from last season I guess, that had a tie. To break the tie, they did another tossup, to determine the winner. My question is, before the tossup was instituted, how were ties decided?

Also, since I'm on the subject, when did they start using the tossup rounds? [/quote]
Tossup rounds began in the 2000-01 season IIRC. THey did indeed break a tie on an episode airing in March 2003 by playing a toss-up puzzle(you probably saw a Saturday night Wheel weekend show, which is a rerun from the previous season). DUring the 1989-91 CBS/NBC daytime version, a Speed Up round would break a tie. I believe the same applied pre-1989 on the daytime version if it was a special week of shows. On at least two occasions, there was a tie for third place during a Teen Week(top three players would return on Friday on Teen Weeks), and a speed up puzzle was played at the top of the Friday show between those players tied for third. Saturday Morning Cartoons was one of the puzzles, and Dire Straits was the other.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 09:59:12 PM by zachhoran »

GSWitch

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 09:57:09 PM »
Here's where my expert knowledge fits in.

I also witnessed a second speed-up round on Wheel 2000 (Cyber Lucy!).

Back in 1987 in the good old NBC daytime days, there was a 2-time returning champion who went on to become a 5-day undefeated champion!  That's because there were two ties in a row!  All three contestants got to stay for 3 days.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 10:00:08 PM by GSWitch »

tvwxman

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 09:59:53 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:57 PM\'] Here's where my expert knowledge fits in.
 [/quote]
 Oh, please, who wants to field THIS one?

CLemon? Zinkin? Heck, Horan? Anyone????
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

dzinkin

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 10:01:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 10 2004, 09:59 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:57 PM\'] Here's where my expert knowledge fits in.
 [/quote]
Oh, please, who wants to field THIS one?

CLemon? Zinkin? Heck, Horan? Anyone???? [/quote]
 To tell him where his expert knowledge can fit would violate every Eligibility Requirement of this board.

GSWitch

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 10:02:54 PM »
As Steve Martin would say,

"EXCUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSE ME!!!"

adamjk

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 10:03:09 PM »
(you probably saw a Saturday night Wheel weekend show, which is a rerun from the previous season)

I did indeed. About that BTW, do they air the weekend episodes from the previous season in order, or do they air random episodes from the last season or what?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 10:03:49 PM by adamjk »

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 10:05:26 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 10 2004, 09:03 PM\']
(you probably saw a Saturday night Wheel weekend show, which is a rerun from the previous season)

I did indeed. About that BTW, do they air the weekend episodes from the previous season in order, or do they air random episodes from the last season or what? [/quote]
 I think they show consecutive episodes for weekend J! reruns(would make sense to anyway), but dunno in what order weekend WOF episodes are shown. WPVI in Philly has never aired the weekend reruns, despite having Syndie WOF from day one and Trebek J! since season two.

tmq800

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 10:06:15 PM »
They air Weekend Wheel episodes randomly.  Just a few weeks ago, I saw an episode from September 2002.

sshuffield70

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 11:07:23 PM »
I can vouch for one from September 2002.  Reason:  The puzzle "TV GAME SHOW HOST".  After the puzzle, Donny was introduced.

rigsby

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 09:58:25 AM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:57 PM\']I also witnessed a second speed-up round on Wheel 2000 (Cyber Lucy!).[/quote]
I'm truly sorry for you having to endure that show at all.

uncamark

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 12:29:11 PM »
And before the bonus round was introduced on the daytime show, a tie meant that there were co-champions the next day.  Just like "J!"

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 01:56:32 PM »
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:56 PM\'] On the daytime version, a tie meant nobody played the bonus round and all three players continued where they left off the next day. [/quote]
 Guessed nobody told Rolf about that before his first day on the job! =p

-Dave