Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What If? A Classic Jeopardy Channel on Pluto TV  (Read 3029 times)

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
What If? A Classic Jeopardy Channel on Pluto TV
« on: November 30, 2020, 04:01:56 PM »
Hi, all. In light of the news that Pluto TV is starting up a new channel devoted to classic Bob Barker eps of The Price is Right, this had me thinking.

I wish Pluto TV had a Classic Jeopardy! channel (what it would be named, I'm listening). If GSN can have a channel there, then there's room for some throwback Jeopardy!.

It's a nice way to keep Alex Trebek's legacy with us.

gamed121683

Re: What If? A Classic Jeopardy Channel on Pluto TV
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 07:09:42 PM »
I was about to say that Pluto TV doesn't have any connection with Sony. Then I remembered that they do carry their Game Show Central channel, so maybe "Trebek-a-vision" isn't that far fetched. Send that suggestion over to Pluto, jlgarfield!

Kind of reminds me of when iHeart Radio added an old school AT 40 station not long after Casey Kasem's death. I wonder if it's still on the air?

chargeradiocom

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 07:14:50 PM »
Of course some rights issues would need to be worked out. But now would probably be as good a time as any in terms of there being a market for it. I wouldn’t be shocked to see Trebek-hosted classic Jeopardy! back in some form soon: be it a 24/7 streaming channel (Pluto, or one of its competitors (STIRR, Peacock, XUMO) may want in on the action); reruns on GSN and/or BUZZR (yeah I know, but they’re flirting more with leases lately & have pulled off some surprises before); or possibly Sony starting its own classic game show streaming service.

BillCullen1

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »
It's certainly a possibility. They've got enough episodes, that's for sure.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »
Kind of reminds me of when iHeart Radio added an old school AT 40 station not long after Casey Kasem's death. I wonder if it's still on the air?
Yep. https://www.iheart.com/live/classic-american-top-40-6545/

jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 07:56:14 PM »
I was about to say that Pluto TV doesn't have any connection with Sony. Then I remembered that they do carry their Game Show Central channel, so maybe "Trebek-a-vision" isn't that far fetched. Send that suggestion over to Pluto, jlgarfield!

Jeopardy's distributor, CBS Television Distribution, is Pluto TV's parent company. So, yeah that idea isn't as far fetched as I think.

And yes, classic AT40 runs on some radio stations as of right now.

Bryce L.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 08:41:11 PM »
possibly Sony starting its own classic game show streaming service.
Hell will freeze over before that one happens, mark my words.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 10:16:59 PM »
possibly Sony starting its own classic game show streaming service.
Hell will freeze over before that one happens, mark my words.
I'm pretty sure people said the same thing about Price being rerun anywhere before Barker passed on.

Wouldn't be surprised if people said the same thing about MGHS and Narz Concentration seeing the light of day either.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 01:36:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure people said the same thing about Price being rerun anywhere before Barker passed on.

Wouldn't be surprised if people said the same thing about MGHS and Narz Concentration seeing the light of day either.
Exactly! For that matter, some folks were even saying for a time that Trebek Classic Concentration was locked up. If the last few years have taught us anything related to classic game shows, it’s to never say never.

As for the Sony streaming service remark, I just mentioned it as one of several possible options, not as a prediction. So I’m not sure why it was, with all due respect, cherry-picked. Do I think it’s likely that Sony will start a classic GS streaming service? Not really. They hasn’t really shown much of an appetite to do it—if they wanted a classic GS service, they’d have probably done that instead of what they did with Game Show Central, and Sony has actually dialed back it’s streaming presence the last couple years with the sale of Crackle & the discontinuing of PS Vue. I think working with another streamer or BUZZR* are more likely options. But if Sony were to decide there’s money to be made by starting their own streaming service, sure, I think it could conceivably happen at some point.

/*I know some folks here would shoot down the idea of Sony ever leasing shows to BUZZR. But personally, I’m not so sure it’s outside the realm of possibility, and will be glad to discuss my reasons for thinking that.