Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: game show retrospective on AXS TV 9/12  (Read 2644 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
game show retrospective on AXS TV 9/12
« on: September 05, 2019, 08:13:19 AM »
the series “The Very Very Best of the ‘70s” has a game show episode cued up for Thursday, September 12. I do not have the channel, so I’ll be hoping for reports on here.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:58:33 AM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Re: game show retrospective on AXS TV 9/12
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:26:07 AM »
I have not watched the series but all the promos I see for it indicate the series is very much like those VH1 talking head shows they used to have.
This signature is currently under construction.

JakeT

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 06:39:46 PM »
And don't get too comfortable...it's only 30 minutes...

JakeT

Otm Shank

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 12:59:45 AM »
Based on the limited information above, I predict the episode will go something like this:

Price is Right ... look at Bob's hair ... look at all the earthtones ... look how much cars were worth
Wheel of Fortune ... they used to go shopping ... look at the old manual puzzleboard
Match Game ... they had to say "tinkle" and "boobs" was pushing the envelope ... the personalities of Brett, Charles, and Richard ... hey, they used to drink during the tapings
Newlywed/Dating Game ... weirdest place you made whoopie ... risqué humor ... maybe even they pull out a clip of 3's a Crowd to hammer it home
Roll credits

colonial

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 09:55:07 AM »
Speaking of AXS and game shows, it was revealed yesterday that Steve Harvey will become an investor in AXS and HDNet Movies following the purchase of the channels by Anthem Sports and Entertainment.

Anthem may be best known in the U.S. as being the owners of Impact Wrestling, which will likely start airing on AXS soon. Mark Cuban remains a minority investor, but no word if Cuban or Harvey will become Impact's on-screen GM :)

On a more serious note, the Wrestling Observer is reporting that Anthem laid off Cindy Ronzoni after the purchase. Ronzoni was head of publicity at GSN for a number of years, and was working a similar role at AXS, primarily doing public relations for Women of Wrestling (a wrestling company co-founded by GLOW creator David McLane).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:53:55 PM by colonial »

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 10:47:08 AM »
Based on the limited information above, I predict the episode will go something like this:

Price is Right ... look at Bob's hair ... look at all the earthtones ... look how much cars were worth
Wheel of Fortune ... they used to go shopping ... look at the old manual puzzleboard
Match Game ... they had to say "tinkle" and "boobs" was pushing the envelope ... the personalities of Brett, Charles, and Richard ... hey, they used to drink during the tapings
Newlywed/Dating Game ... weirdest place you made whoopie ... risqué humor ... maybe even they pull out a clip of 3's a Crowd to hammer it home
Roll credits
Feud...wow, who’s the guy making out with all the female contestants?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 08:33:42 AM »
It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that I watched the show. Bob Eubanks, Anson Williams, Jimmie Walker, and more count down the game shows "you" voted on. I may have screwed up the order in the middle but here was the list, more or less, from 10 to 1.

Let's Make a Deal
Dating Game
Gong Show
Name That Tune
Match Game
Pyramid
Newlywed Game
Feud
Hollywood Squares
Price is Right

Points in the show's favor included a slightly more inspired array of clips, including Tony Randall in all his uncensored glory. Points against were that many of those clips were likely pulled from YouTube because the GSN bugs were still there but blurred out.

Honestly, the most interesting thing about that half-hour was learning that you can put three different wrestling promotions on one channel and not have the universe explode.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »
We had little expectation that this was going to be in any way insightful.  And you know what, I'm even willing to grant them that list.  Those are ten well-known shows that represent the decade pretty well.  The only truly legendary shows they left off were Password, Jeopardy and Wheel, and you could make a decent case that none of them were iconic of the 1970s.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 01:34:19 PM »
You probably could've made a case for the B&E shows as well since those versions both actually debuted in the 70s, but if you don't make that a caveat, I don't know who you take off.

One other refreshing bit was acknowledging that some of the shows on the list were revivals; they even named Bob Stewart as the original creator of Price, which was something they absolutely did not have to do, but it was kinda neat that they did.