Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWBTAM is officially cancelled after this season  (Read 7226 times)

Jimmy Owen

Re: WWBTAM is officially cancelled after this season
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 06:59:27 PM »
After a while, you got the impression that nobody was gonna be a millionaire, though everyone wants to be one
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

colonial

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:17:12 PM »
Sad to see it go, especially as I had the chance to participate in the series way back when as a contestant and POF (hard to believe I was someone's POF two decades ago, back when the show was still airing as a "multi-night event program"). Unfortunately, the writing has been on the wall for some time …

-- The ABC O&Os picked up Tamron Hall's talk show for next fall, putting either WWTBAM and/or Rachael Ray's talk show on the brink (as both had clearance from the Alphabet stations). Rachael quietly got a one-year renewal earlier this year, making WWTBAM's future perilous at best.

-- The show is just unrecognizable from what it was even a decade ago. I understand a lot of it is for legal reasons, but the show hasn't felt like the WWTBAM we loved in years.

-- Tossing out the "Tournament of 10" gimmick they did a while back, the last time a contestant won the grand prize in the "proper" manner was in 2003. It's hard to get excited for a show that promotes the chance of becoming a millionaire when, after a while, you come to the realization it will never happen again.

But it was a great ride, and I'm blessed that myself and many friends and colleagues got the chance to participate on the show, whether as contestants, phone-a-friends, audience members or just plain fans. It was, for me, the first modern "people's game show" -- one where you didn't have to travel to LA or NYC to audition. Just pick up the phone and get a chance to win a spot in the "Ring of Fire."

JD

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 07:26:23 PM »
17 years in syndication, plus another three in prime time is one hell of a run. It seemed like the show that kept on chugging, despite being on the bubble for at least five years now. However, like James said, it seems like a totally different show now. In a way, it felt more like a generic daytime TV show, as opposed to the game show that arguably revitalized the genre 20 years ago.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

brianhenke

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 08:42:24 PM »
 Don't make any sarcastic comments, but I remember when WWTBAM was big. I remember John Carpenter appearing on the cover of People magazine. It was a show where people would talk about what happened the night before in the days before streaming and social media.

We thought ABC would run it for 15 years - had they not overexposed it and made changes that alienated its fanbase (like too much on celebrities and scrapping the phone game that made it a show with Everyman and Everywoman appeal.) By the time WWTBAM ended its regular run in 2002, When the show entered syndication, the show stripped the Everyman (and Everywoman) appeal of the original by getting rid of the phone game and Fastest Finger, I couldn't relate. (It didn't help that the first season of syndicated WWTBAM didn't air here.)

ABC brought it back in 2004 for Super Millionaire (remember the Three Wise Men?) and a 10th anniversary edition in 2009 with Regis hosting. But for many it wasn't the same (such as what the Alphabet Web is learning with American Idol).

If the lawsuit with Disney and Celador over the show's profits hadn't taken place, we might have seen WWTBAM back for an August multi-night run, and possibly a 20th anniversary multi-night event this August to (presumably) wrap up the show. Have Carpenter, Doug Van Gundy, and all the people we remember back to say goodbye. Now if Regis wants to come again to host one final time...that's another story.

But we need to thank Reege, Michael Davies, and the producers, directors, writers, and the men and women who stepped into Regis' shoes to host the syndicated version for two decades of final answers and lots of money being given away - and changing the primetime TV landscape forever. Remember, there were no big money shows on primetime for decades sicne the quiz show scandals (with the exception of 100 Grand in 1963). Now there are shows offering big money all the time.

Brian

Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Sodboy13

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:28:31 PM »
Don't make any sarcastic comments

Then don't post.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 12:12:49 AM »
Travis L. Eberle

Casey Buck

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 02:25:49 AM »
The big problem with WWTBAM is that the title wrote a check that its prize budget couldn't even come close to cashing.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 03:44:07 AM »
Well, if I'm remembering the leaked emails correctly, this cancelation will send the rights to Millionaire in the US back to Sony, who can do a reboot of the original format (or whatever they're doing internationally) when they feel the time is right.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 10:25:01 AM »
Don't make any sarcastic comments

Are you new here?

Please also curb the use of "We". You're not speaking for everyone.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 10:46:17 AM »
Well, if I'm remembering the leaked emails correctly, this cancelation will send the rights to Millionaire in the US back to Sony, who can do a reboot of the original format (or whatever they're doing internationally) when they feel the time is right.
If I read correctly, three years. I wouldn’t be surprised if the show returns by 2025. Give the public a chance to miss it, and it comes back, just like any other wildly popular game show.

/It worked for “Pyramid”
//And “Deal or No Deal”
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 12:30:36 PM »
Back in 1999, I was just rediscovering my love for game shows. When I read the recaps of WWTBAM in the UK on alt.tv.game-shows, I found it so amazing, almost hard to believe, there was a game show this captivating to the home viewer. When it came on here, I loved watching the show.

Then it hit me. I was a good test-taker in school. If I could get on this show, I might do well.

It appeared as "Play It!" at Disneyland in Anaheim in 2001, and Klauss and Randy and I visited. (Still remember Randy making it to the top of the leader board when time expired for one show.)

Then 2004 and my game of "Play It!". I guessed the last three answers without any lifelines. Streamers coming down from the ceiling, the studio roaring like a jet engine. A few months later, Kelly came back into my life, and well, you know the rest... I guess you could say, kinda, I'm the original Slumdog Millionaire. :))

After "Play It!", I knew, I *HAD* to get on the real show. After two previous tryouts, they called me about this time last year (since when does a game show call me!?!) to try out again. I passed the test, got through the interview. and well, thank God it happened. :) I'll never forget the part, a small one, but a part nonetheless, that this show played in my life.

I say thank you, WWTBAM, for a wonderful experience. And that's my final answer.

--Charlie, MPW #42, Season 17 Contestant
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 02:10:53 PM »
Think about this:

Thoughts?
OVER THE SHOULDER

You get to ask the person in the relationship chair what they think the answer is. (Similar to Second Chance on 21-2000.)

/used the same name as the 'net Millionaire lifeline
Coincidence?
--Charlie

I thought up the concept of the lifeline in 2010, four years before its debut. Then I got to use this lifeline in my appearance. (And it worked!)  I consider my winnings to be royalty for creating the lifeline. 8)

--Charlie
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

BillCullen1

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 11:23:46 AM »
The show has not been appointment TV for me for several years now. I tried out to be a contestant a few times when Meredith became the host and the show taped in NYC. It had a nice run. But put it to bed and bring it back a few years from now.

I also visited the "Play It" attraction at Disneyland in 2001. I was there the week that 9/11 happened. I didn't get picked but it was fun to see it done.

tomobrien

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 10:10:05 PM »
As one of the many people whose lives were changed in a major way by this show (19 years ago this week, come to think of it), it's kind of sad news to hear. Although the numerous game play and host changes lost me as a viewer years ago, I'm still sorry to see the show finally end. It was always fun to be able to say you were on the top-rated show on TV, if only for a day or two...