Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Barbara Feldon on $64,000 Question  (Read 2490 times)

Bob Zager

Barbara Feldon on $64,000 Question
« on: January 31, 2019, 01:41:53 PM »
I remembered reading about her winning $64,000, on the category of Shakespeare, and I stumbled across this photo with Gene Kelly, showing that she'd apparently appeared on the show, during Hal March's six-week hiatus.

https://i0.wp.com/newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/thedigs/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tumblr_mpbsutiLTv1rr5swxo1_1280.jpg?fit=1060%2C716

Although IMDB credits her with appearing on only one episode, it's obvious she appeared on more.  I wonder if she'd appeared on any episodes with March present?

RMF

Re: Barbara Feldon on $64,000 Question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 07:41:26 PM »
Checking the various newspapers that have been uploaded online:

Feldon (under her maiden name of Barbara Hall) reached the $8,000 mark on the June 4th, 1957 program, won the $64,000 on the June 25th program, and appears to have been eliminated on the July 16th program (by that point in the run, contestants could win up to $256,000).

It is less clear when she started- the rules of the program online suggest she would have appeared on at least the May 28th program, but I am not sure if these rules were still applicable toward this part of the run.

Finally, as for your original question: given that Feldon appeared on at least two more episodes than March's vacation, it would seem that they would have had to share time- however, I haven't yet found a source stating when March's vacation began.

brianhenke

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:44:40 PM »
Hal wasn't really on vacation in 1957. He was in Hollywood doing what is a now forgotten movie called Hear Me Good.

In addition to Gene Kelly, others guest hosting included Ed Sullivan, Ginger Rogers, Celeste Holm and Burt  Lancaster - none of whom were known as game or quiz show hosts.

Brian
🎥
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:56:30 PM »
Hal wasn't really on vacation in 1957. He was in Hollywood doing what is a now forgotten movie called Hear Me Good.

"On vacation" means that he took time away from the show, not basking in a beach somewhere...you really had to be told this?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 12:46:13 AM »
"On vacation" means that he took time away from the show, not basking in a beach somewhere...you really had to be told this?

Honestly, it wouldn't have occurred to me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Bob Zager

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »

In addition to Gene Kelly, others guest hosting included Ed Sullivan, Ginger Rogers, Celeste Holm and Burt  Lancaster - none of whom were known as game or quiz show hosts.

Brian
🎥

I don't know about Burt Lancaster subbing, but according to several sources, including the EOTVGS--Kelly, Sullivan, Rogers and Holm were among the guest hosts, and the only other two were Charlton Heston and Fred MacMurray!