Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Candy Crush: The Game Show, coming soon?  (Read 4607 times)

BrandonFG

Candy Crush: The Game Show, coming soon?
« on: October 18, 2016, 12:23:42 PM »
It's the mobile game you've ignored on Facebook all your life, but never quite like this!!!

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/candy-crush-game-show-cbs-series-order-1201892363/
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

CarbonCpy

Re: Candy Crush: The Game Show, coming soon?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »
coming up next, flappy bir-- wait, wait, nevermind. they just called that one hole in the wall...

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:27:07 PM »
Next thing you know, they'll make a game show out of that Wheel of Fortune Fr-----uh..never mind.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
Some mobile games would be exceptional as game shows. Candy Crush is not one of those games.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 10:50:04 AM »
It's Magnificent Marble Machine or Starcade all over again.  The idea that we would be entertained simply watching someone else play a game.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »
Okay. I've never played, but it's like Bejeweled, no? Match like symbols before the board fills up? I could see it being a "match like symbols in a row/L-shape, win the game, lather, rinse, repeat" setup, a la "Break the Bank '76".

Mind you, I'm still not going to be any more inclined to watch, not even with 9 wisecracking panelists and Tom Kennedy. :P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

weaklink75

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 11:32:07 AM »
Well if Belgium can make a show based on Tetris that has lasted 22 years (Blokken), maybe Candy Crush is just crazy enough to work...

(I always thought Bejeweled actually could make a good game if done right- have a picture set up in the same way as the grid, answer questions to earn moves, the squares you clear on the grid are revealed in the picture, figure out the picture for bonus points, etc.)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
It's Magnificent Marble Machine or Starcade all over again.  The idea that we would be entertained simply watching someone else play a game.
While I get what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, I think that argument doesn't look so great when the highest rated program every year is some form of football.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »
Apples and oranges. Game shows have always been about the play along value, with the benefit being you can usually answer the questions even if you're not watching (Wheel being one exception).

As a sports fan, I'm way more emotionally invested in how my team plays, as opposed to someone playing pinball or rearranging a bunch of candy canes. Unless there's some Q&A attached to this and some sort of strategy (not holding my breath), this sounds like it'll be as exciting as watching paint dry.

It's not the first time CBS has tried to do a show based on a popular app or board game (remember when they tried to do Catch Phrase or Draw Something). Both of those would've made way more sense than this.

Neumms

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:26:07 PM »
It's from the producer of Wipeout and they say it will be physical. So it sounds more like the Bud Light Pac-Man commercial than Starcade or the app with trivia questions added.
http://deadline.com/2016/10/cbs-candy-crush-reality-series-mobile-game-lionsgate-matt-kunitz-1201838123/

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 07:24:28 PM »
Okay. I've never played, but it's like Bejeweled, no?

Very much so. Bejeweled with goals to be accomplished in X moves other than "fill up the little meter with enough matches".

My suspicion is that the actual comparisons to Candy Crush will be in the chrome and not in the actual gameplay, mainly because if you pin the winning of thousands of dollars on whether the right random symbols drop into place from the top of the screen, whether or not it actually IS random, it's gonna smell fishier than Donald Trump's fingers.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe