Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime major network game shows 1970s & 80s  (Read 16764 times)

wdm1219inpenna

Daytime major network game shows 1970s & 80s
« on: December 21, 2015, 07:18:04 AM »
While we perhaps often disagree on many things here, it is evident that we all have a very deep appreciation and passion for television game shows, especially those of us who are old enough to recall the terrific daytime shows that aired during the 1970s and 1980s.

I realize shows get canceled because of low ratings.  What I am wondering is why did certain daytime game shows suffer from low ratings?

I realize the primary demographic during the 1970s and 80s were housewives.  I realize too that all people, perhaps moreso those of the female gland, tend to be fickle from time to time.

It seems a vast majority of us who post here are male however, so I'm interested to find out from those of you who post on here your feelings and opinions.

The Price is Right is still going strong after 44 remarkable seasons on CBS daytime.  That continues to thrive in my opinion because of two very key and vitally important and necessary ingredients.  One being the show provides a tremendous play along factor for audience members and television viewing audience members alike.  Two is the show has tremendous variety.  There's a wide array of prizes, a wide array of contestants, and a wide array of pricing games that are constantly being rotated in and out again.

Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy have been on for decades due primarily to the play along factor as well.  Both shows have a variety of contestants, especially Wheel of Fortune, and there is some variety with respect to categories on Jeopardy.

Family Feud continues on strong, although I have no idea why.  Once in a very great while I will tune in but it's not "must see TV" for me anymore, especially due to the raunchy factor the show uses for some of their question material.

I am curious about shows such as Scrabble, Blockbusters, High Rollers, Card Sharks, Three on a Match, and Gambit.  If you can think of other shows to include, please do.

Scrabble was a sensational game and fun to play along with.  The only thing that got boring to me was $500 for a win, $500 and $1,000 for pink and blue squares and $1,000 for winning the Sprint Round.  I realize that for fairness purposes they played the same 4 words in the Sprint Round during the later part of Scrabble's initial run on NBC as well as the 1993 dreadful remake.  I think because there was a lack of money amounts able to be won it made the game a little more boring.  Like if I tuned in and Charlie Tuna said "So and so is our current champion with $1,500 and will try to make it again to the Bonus Sprint." you knew they won a crossword round and a sprint round and that was it.  I actually preferred when they had that pot to start things off, then playing for 3 times the pot, but I suppose that became too involved or complicated for the show.

Blockbusters had a good play along factor, and Bill was terrific as always.  He had a nice leisurely pace during the main games but kept it moving for the Gold Run.  Seems that show got kind of "tired" though as it was win a match, play bonus game, shampoo, rinse and repeat.  Seems after 2 years of that it got tired or boring for people to watch.

High Rollers seemed to also have that "shampoo, rinse, repeat" thing happening with it, which may have led to it being canceled after 2 years twice, first in '76 and again in '80.  Very little play along factor too for the home audience.  I think this may have been a big issue for Press Your Luck too.  It was mostly watching players pressing their button at the big board, and all we could do is watch.  Very little play along interaction which is why I guess it only lasted 3 seasons on CBS.

Card Sharks had a great play along factor to it, with the survey questions and the high low card calling.  CBS made some terrific improvements with the Jokers in the Money Cards for the car game, the 10 people surveys (although they dragged out a bit too much at times for my taste), and I especially loved the educated guess questions.  They enhanced the game and yet it only lasted 3 years and change on CBS, as it did on NBC.  Did it too suffer too much from the "Shampoo, rinse, repeat" problem?

Three on a Match was a game I was obsessed with as a child.  I loved the big colorful board and the different pictures they used.  That being said, it had very little play-along ability to it, other than the True/False questions.  Kind of like a pre-cursor to Press Your Luck, players answer questions then go to the big board, and we just sit there and watch them doing what they will at said board.

Gambit I loved, moreso the CBS version.  The unpredictability of what card would come up next was great, especially if it ended up making a 21.  Loved the Gambit Board too, nice variety of prizes.  Sadly a lack of play-along ability with this game too, so after a little over 4 seasons it went bye bye.

What other shows or examples can you think of?  What other thoughts can you offer about the shows I mentioned above?  I really would love to get all of your takes on this subject.

Of all the above mentioned shows, Card Sharks and Scrabble are the 2 I would want to see come back the most.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Daytime major network game shows 1970s & 80s
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:33:32 PM »
I am curious about shows such as Scrabble, Blockbusters, High Rollers, Card Sharks, Three on a Match, and Gambit.  If you can think of other shows to include, please do.

Fully half of these (Card Sharks, Scrabble, High Rollers) aired opposite The Price Is Right on my coast. (I cannot speak to Three On A Match.)

That's all you need to know about why they died.

(Wheel of Fortune did as well. And if Wheel hadn't blown up completely in syndication like it did, the daytime show would have died too.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »
Some shows had low clearance and that could not be helpful.  Three on a Match, with a low clearance,  was up against LMAD, which was a major juggernaut during that time.  Finding the right time slot for a show was also a factor.  If a show wasn't doing a 30 share it was subject to cancellation.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 03:16:08 PM »
Some shows had low clearance and that could not be helpful.  Three on a Match, with a low clearance,  was up against LMAD, which was a major juggernaut during that time.  Finding the right time slot for a show was also a factor.  If a show wasn't doing a 30 share it was subject to cancellation.
Three on a Match was also up against As the World Turns, which was the highest-rated soap opera every year between 1958 and 1978.  Between that and LMaD, there wasn't much audience left.  Also, Three on a Match was the sixth program NBC had placed in that time slot after losing LMaD to ABC at the end of 1968 - so that's six shows in a little over two and a half years.  At some point, someone at NBC must have said, "Eh, we can live with this."

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 04:11:42 PM »
Dunno about the shows William mentioned, but a lot of shows also aired at 12 noon, at a time when more stations opted for a noon newscast. I imagine that didn't help, although some shows (Super Password, Feud) still had lengthy runs in that slot.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

thomas_meighan

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 07:12:51 PM »
The handful of rating sets that I've seen from the 1970s show that daytime programming generally did better in the late mornings or afternoons than in the early morning hours. And while soap operas were more expensive to produce, they tended to attract better demographics (i.e. women ages 18-49) and the networks could charge more for advertising spots.

The 8-11-1975 issue of Broadcasting has an extensive article on daytime programming and how decisions were made at the time. Ratings are also provided for most programs, which I include below. They reflect the "season to date" numbers as of July 13, 1975, unless otherwise noted.

Match Game: 11.3 rating, 35 share
As the World Turns: 10.6/37
All My Children: 10.3/38 (week of July 7)
Another World: 9.7/31
Search for Tomorrow: 9.4/35
The Price is Right: 8.9/29
The Doctors: 8.7/32
The Young & the Restless: 8.5/33
The Hollywood Squares: 8.4/26
The Guiding Light: 8.3/29
Days of Our Lives: 8.2/31
General Hospital: 8.2/26
The $10,000 Pyramid & Let's Make a Deal: both 7.9/28
The Magnificent Marble Machine: 7.7/30
The Edge of Night: 7.4/27
The Brady Bunch (R): 7.2/30
One Life to Live: 7.1/22
Love of Life: 7.0/28
High Rollers: 6.8/33
Jackpot: 6.7/25
Wheel of Fortune: 6.5/33
Showoffs: 6.4/25
Gambit: 6.3/32
Tattletales: 6.2/30 (in its morning slot)
Somerset: 6.2/19
Celebrity Sweepstakes: 5.3/28
Spin-Off: 4.4/24

No specific rating was given for Rhyme and Reason or Ryan's Hope, but they had a 31 and 25 share respectively. No numbers were given for Musical Chairs or You Don't Say.

Thunder

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 09:26:03 PM »
...I realize too that all people, perhaps moreso those of the female gland, tend to be fickle from time to time.

I'm guessing that you're not married.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 09:37:22 PM »
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed the blatant, unnecessary and utterly crappy potshot at the expense of women for a totally made-up reason.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 11:24:18 PM »
Yeah, Bill, that was a little unnecessary.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

cyclone45

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 11:27:08 PM »
And yet, these days when a game show gets a 2, it's a good thing. (Sans Wheel, J, Feud)

TimK2003

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 11:46:08 PM »
Some of the mid-afternoon shows (1-3pm) that had somewhat decent ratings lost their timeslots due to soap opera expansions from 30 minutes to either 45 minutes or an hour.  It was mentioned before that Break The Bank had decent ratings before soaps expanded & kicked them out and Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour was replaced by Santa Barbara (though I don't think MGHSH had the best of ratings). 

Not sure how well the ratings were for the Dating & Newlywed Games nor The Big Showdown when they got the axe. 

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 12:44:04 AM »
Right out of the gate, the excess verbiage only serves to obscure whatever point you're making and doesn't make us think you're smarter or that we'll take your point more seriously.

I think because there was a lack of money amounts able to be won it made the game a little more boring.  Like if I tuned in and Charlie Tuna said "So and so is our current champion with $1,500 and will try to make it again to the Bonus Sprint." you knew they won a crossword round and a sprint round and that was it.
This is the first time I've ever heard of this as a complaint. Why do you care what happened yesterday? If you watched it you know, if you don't, you're watching today.

Blockbusters had a good play along factor....Seems after 2 years of that it got tired or boring for people to watch.
I will defer to my learned colleague Adam Nedeff who has written about this very topic, and he can disprove your guess.

High Rollers ...Very little play along interaction which is why I guess it only lasted 3 seasons on CBS.
I will disagree again. You can play along with the questions (which are written to encourage buzzer races), you can play along with the number-picking, or just in getting caught up in the fun and excitement of the game, especially if there's lots of prizes on offer. Game shows are also fun to watch, which is why professional sports are either a thing if the sport is interesting, or they're on ESPN 8: The Ocho if they ain't.

Card Sharks...Did it too suffer too much from the "Shampoo, rinse, repeat" problem?
No.

To Chris Lemon's entry about Three on a Match, for most if not all of the run it either wasn't competing with New TPIR because new TPIR didn't exist yet or hadn't become a juggernaut. Three on a Match has lots of interactivity, whether with the questions, will she/won't he go to the board, how will the players spend their money, or just plain rooting someone on to victory because you like them, or rooting for someone to get a case of the runs because they annoy you and you want to watch someone else win.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 01:46:47 AM »
Also, High Rollers wasn't on CBS.

What little actual content there is in that screed isn't even correct most of the time.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 01:53:05 AM »
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed the blatant, unnecessary and utterly crappy potshot at the expense of women for a totally made-up reason.

It was more than one sentence in to his post, so it didn't pass the TL;DR rule for me.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
Also, High Rollers wasn't on CBS.
I don't think he was saying that; the rest of that paragraph (edited for content) mentions PYL, which he acknowledges as airing on CBS.

As for the OP, times change, tastes change. If TPiR doesn't add new games throughout the 70s, I'm not so sure it airs for 40+ years. That, and as the decades progressed, fewer shows remained in daytime, so folks may also watch TPiR out of habit. Same for Wheel and Jeopardy! in the evening. There really isn't a consistent rhyme or reason (pardon the game show pun).

Going off of Thomas's ratings list, interesting that a few shows had fair ratings, and still only ran for a year or two. Case in point, Marble Machine and High Rollers were doing better than Wheel, but were gone in 1976. Jackpot did slightly better, and was gone within a few months.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!