Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Biggest game/reality show stories of 2015  (Read 6581 times)

johnnya2k3

Biggest game/reality show stories of 2015
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »
We're into the last couple weeks of 2015, so it's time to go over the biggest game/reality show stories of the year. There are several that come to mind:

The debut of Buzzr
Bob Barker's April Fool's appearance on TPIR
Jeopardy's Matt Jackson becoming the anti-Arthur Chu
American Idol announcing that their 16th season will be their last (thanks, "The Voice"!)
Former "Catch 21" host Alfonso Ribiero being named the new host of America's Funniest Home Videos
The passings of Marc Breslow (longtime Goodson-Todman director), Gary Owens, and Jim Perry
Univision's Sabado Gigante ending its 53-year run
Craig Ferguson's first Emmy for Celebrity Name Game

And of course, the biggest...
For the first time in 30 years, Family Feud dethrones Wheel of Fortune as the #1 syndie game show (only for Wheel to get the ratings back in typical fashion)!!!!!

Any others I missed?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Biggest game/reality show stories of 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 01:18:07 AM »
Yes, you missed one, and of what you've listed I think Sabado Gigante being put out to stud is the only one on the list that belongs on the medal podium, and three elements is as far as the list should go. Millionaire getting a phone call from the governor at 11:55 should also be on there.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:41:30 AM »
We're into the last couple weeks of 2015, so it's time to go over the biggest game/reality show stories of the year. There are several that come to mind:

The debut of Buzzr
Bob Barker's April Fool's appearance on TPIR
American Idol announcing that their 16th season will be their last (thanks, "The Voice"!)
Former "Catch 21" host Alfonso Ribiero being named the new host of America's Funniest Home Videos
The passings of Marc Breslow (longtime Goodson-Todman director), Gary Owens, and Jim Perry
Univision's Sabado Gigante ending its 53-year run
Craig Ferguson's first Emmy for Celebrity Name Game

And of course, the biggest...
For the first time in 30 years, Family Feud dethrones Wheel of Fortune as the #1 syndie game show (only for Wheel to get the ratings back in typical fashion)!!!!!
If Feud had continued beating Wheel or finished the season as the #1 game, I'd say it would be a bigger story. It's kind of a big deal, sure, but not the biggest...definitely not worthy of the bold face and multiple exclamation points. It's about as big as the time Jeopardy! overtook Wheel in summer 2004, during KenMania.

Buzzr debuting was a big deal, as is the cancellation of Sabado Gigante. IMO Chris Harrison replacing Terry Crews is more of a story than Alfonzo Ribiero taking over AFHV, even if Chris is the fourth host(ess) in as many years. Oh, and there's the cancellation of Let's Ask America, mainly because a show that never aired in more than 25% of the country stayed on the air for three years.

Bob's returned to TPiR before; Matt Jackson isn't the first or the last longtime Jeopardy! champ, and I don't quite understand the comparison to Arthur Chu, other than they won a lot of games and a lot of money. Idol should've been taken out to pasture years ago, so I'm indifferent there, and to be honest, the show fell off way before The Voice, so again, I don't get the correlation.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Winkfan

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 02:33:40 PM »

Any others I missed?

We also lost Bess Myerson, Jayne Meadows, Anne Meara, and Betsy Palmer.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »

Meaning?
@lambertman

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:07:47 PM »
How is Matt the antiChu? Played the same way, won tons of money, and both lost to superior TOC players.

The only "story" here is Craigyferg winning an award that isn't supposed to reward mediocrity.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 03:18:36 PM »
How is Matt the antiChu? Played the same way, won tons of money, and both lost to superior TOC players.
My only guess is that both were quirky, but Matt used a different strategy than Arthur? But even then, how does not skipping across the board make Matt different than any other "superchamp"? And it's not like the strategy is that original to begin with (word to Chuck Forrest).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »
and I don't quite understand the comparison to Arthur Chu, other than they won a lot of games and a lot of money.

He said "anti-," implying contrast, not comparison. My guess of the logic (as much logic as there is with anything that evacuates from Allen's mental bowels) is that a lot of people thought Chu was an asshole for destroying the delicate sense of order in their lives, while Matt was fairly likable and played the game in a fashion that did not make them twitch, twitch.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »
Chu sure was an asshole but not for that. Mannerisms did him in.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 10:21:26 PM »
Any others I missed?
*ahem* (Well, it's pretty big to me, anyway.) :)

--Charlie
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 10:28:00 PM »
*ahem* (Well, it's pretty big to me, anyway.) :)
Sorry, Charlie.

You may not rate in Jonathan Allen's book, but you're at least number 37 in my book!!!
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »
You may not rate in Jonathan Allen's book, but you're at least number 37 in my book!!!

(LOL!!)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
What can I say but that the oeuvre of Kevin Smith has affected me quite deeply.

Leave aside that we're remembering a year that still had three weeks to go. He missed one huge story to the inclusion of a whole lot of cruft. (A long-running reality competition goes off the air because people aren't watching? No foolin'.) And the stuff that he got right-ish (because after all a list like this is 99.5% perceptions and beliefs anyway and 1 part per 200 chocolate nougat) was written up really really badly.
Travis L. Eberle