Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Finally airing in Cincinnati - we can all rest.  (Read 10442 times)

toddyo

Finally airing in Cincinnati - we can all rest.
« on: November 02, 2015, 12:18:26 PM »
AntennaTV was pulled and Buzzr has been added to the Cincinnati channel spectrum. AntennaTV will return to a different broadcast prior to the Jan 1st Tonight Show repeats. We all can now rest.

Matt Ottinger

Re: Finally airing in Cincinnati - we can all rest.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
AntennaTV was pulled and Buzzr has been added to the Cincinnati channel spectrum. AntennaTV will return to a different broadcast prior to the Jan 1st Tonight Show repeats. We all can now rest.

Our long, geographically specific Midwestern nightmare is over.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 03:46:40 PM »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »
Phoenix actually got it recently. Twas noted and commented on by me.

Although dropping Antenna for Buzzr is not an equal trade.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 11:04:26 PM »

I agree, but he did say that AntennaTV was coming back on a different provider.

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 06:06:08 AM »

I agree, but he did say that AntennaTV was coming back on a different provider.

That he did, but.I shall still scratch my head.

Personally I prefer MeTV, but Antenna still is cool.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »

You are scratching your head over the business decision of dropping one digital subchannel in favor of another one? I just want to make sure I am following.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 03:02:32 PM »

You are scratching your head over the business decision of dropping one digital subchannel in favor of another one? I just want to make sure I am following.

Only because of what the value of the tradeoff is to me, nothing more, nothing less. The station certainly can do whatever it wants.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 04:25:23 PM »
That's not the first station I've heard of dropping Antenna TV. Out of all the subchannels, they by far have the worst selection of commercials. A lot of medical settlements and infomercial-type stuff. The most "high profile" advertiser I see is Liberty Mutual.

I dunno how much advertiser money goes to the affiliates themselves, but I do wonder if that is part of the reason some stations are jumping ship.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 04:37:19 PM »
That's not the first station I've heard of dropping Antenna TV. Out of all the subchannels, they by far have the worst selection of commercials. A lot of medical settlements and infomercial-type stuff. The most "high profile" advertiser I see is Liberty Mutual.

I dunno how much advertiser money goes to the affiliates themselves, but I do wonder if that is part of the reason some stations are jumping ship.
Many of the subchannels these days, in lieu of sharing ad dollars, actually pay affiliates to carry them, essentially renting the channel space from them. Some likely pay more than others, so that's a factor in choosing which ones to carry.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »
Only because of what the value of the tradeoff is to me, nothing more, nothing less. The station certainly can do whatever it wants.

Right. My point is that the value to you (as a consumer of their product) and the value to them (and that's the value that matters) are based on absolutely wholly different criteria. So I don't see what's so head-scratching about it.

It's not so far afield from me saying "I'm cutting back on my cable because it costs me too much" and you saying "Really? I'm confused. Their logo is red and red things are awesome."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »
A brief story from a local reporter, providing some helpful context for those of us who don't live in Cincinnati, which I'm going to go out on a limb and guess is easily 60% of us, maybe even more.

http://wvxu.org/post/woth-tv-drops-antenna-tv-adds-buzzr-tv-game-shows#stream/0

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 05:47:49 AM »
A brief story from a local reporter, providing some helpful context for those of us who don't live in Cincinnati, which I'm going to go out on a limb and guess is easily 60% of us, maybe even more.

http://wvxu.org/post/woth-tv-drops-antenna-tv-adds-buzzr-tv-game-shows#stream/0

I live in Cincinnati, but only when I'm there.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chargeradiocom

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2015, 10:24:21 PM »
I haven't posted in a few years and didn't know if my account was even still active. :) But I still lurk from time to time. So I figured I'd post on this one from the perspective of a Cincy-based broadcasting geek.

WOTH and its sister station, WKRP, are low-power class A stations with spotty coverage at best, particularly outside of the I-275 loop. Time Warner, the main cable operator in the market, has never wanted much to do with them, and of course DIRECTV and DISH don't carry them. Cincinnati Bell Fioptics (our market's answer to FiOS and U-Verse) does carry some of their subs, but I don't know whether that includes 20.3 (the BUZZR/former Antenna channel).

If the Tribune guy in the article is to be believed (and granted, it could be corporate spin), it sounds Antenna probably bailed on the station, rather than the station booting Antenna. Can't blame them for wanting a station with better market penetration.

As far as BUZZR, I'm kind of happy it's now in the market, but it's not doing me much good. I'm just a few miles outside the 275 loop and can't pick it up for jack. Right now I'm renting, so an outdoor antenna isn't really a good option. Oh well... that's life.

/Maybe that will change soon. I'm looking to buy a house in the very near future, so I may just try giving an outdoor antenna a shot.

//Anyone have any advice on a good outdoor antenna? ;D

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 01:25:58 AM »
WOTH and its sister station, WKRP
This makes me smile. :-)

//Anyone have any advice on a good outdoor antenna? ;D
I know you said outdoor, but try this site...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!