Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What are your favorite opening spiels  (Read 16423 times)

danderson

What are your favorite opening spiels
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:54:32 PM »
since this is my first time staring a new topic.. what are your favorite opening spiels over the years? my two favorites would have to be Don Morrow on the Challengers or John Harlan on American Gladiators i guess those were two of my favorites(what i liked about Mr. Harlan's intro on AG was the way he introduced both the gladiators and Adamle and whoever his co-host was(either Todd Christensen or Larry Csonka) and the contenders) i could say the same thing about Mr. Morrow and the way he introed Dick Clark too as well as the contestants that made me think highly of both of those guys as announcers
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:46:10 PM by danderson »

Esoteric Eric

Re: What are your favorite opening spiels
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 02:21:07 AM »
#1:  Whew! / Rod Roddy

"CLOSE CALLS!!!... NARROW ESCAPES!!!... SPLIT-SECOND DECISIONS!!! ...AND $25,000 IN CASH!!! It's a combination GUARANTEED to make you SAY... WHEW!..."

#2: $ale of the Century / Jay Stewart (Winner's Board Era)

(Something like...) <drum roll> "So far, champion Terry Howard has won cash and prizes totaling... $47,295!!!" <theme music>

#3: $10,000 Pyramid / Bob Clayton (original opening; don't recall it exactly, but it's "Keep your eye on this spot..." or something like that)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:39:49 AM »
I didn't realize it until this week when they brought them back, but I missed all of the messages on TPiR - "HOUR POWER", etc.

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
Some of my faves:

1) Whew!

2) (The New) Treasure Hunt

3) Break The Bank (70's).  One of the longest opening sentences:  "We'll find out in a moment as these 9 celebrities <INSERT ALL 9 STAR NAMES HERE> all join us in playing 'Break The Bank'".

rockinricky

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
One of my all-time faves, from the 70s:

GET READY TO MATCH THE STARS!

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 01:30:44 PM »
"Look at this studio, filled with glamorous prizes..."

I love any intro where the announcer sets the stage for what's about to happen, especially if it's in a dramatic tone. Barris's "Treasure Hunt" is a good example.

On a not-so-dramatic note, I always enjoyed Gene Wood's introductions on "Feud". Can't remember where I read it, but someone compared it to a boxing announcer introducing the competitors in each corner. Very fitting.

I actually liked Howie Mandel's intro from D/ND's first week on the air, with him standing in the vault, then walking to the set, dramatically explaining what was to come.

I've never been a fan of how most shows just display the title, and the host walks out. Feels cold and lacking IMO.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 03:03:29 PM »
Who doesn't love a short poem read over a catchy beat? That's why I've got to log in a vote for Card Sharks.

I also enjoy the rather tense way The New Treasure Hunt opened. Gearing me up from something serious that never came.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 03:33:09 PM »
(paraphrasing) "A fortune of fabulous prizes could go to these people tonight, if they know when the Price is Right.....(insert name, come on down! X 4)  You are the first four contestants on the New Price Is Right....and here's the star of the nighttime Price Is Right....Dennis James....!"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 03:35:46 PM »
I knew I'd forget one, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention $ale of the Century's stop motion zoom in on the car up for grabs. That with the "floating briefcase" superimposed over the set let you know a fun half hour was coming up.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

danderson

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 04:27:50 PM »
yeah, i forgot about Jay Stewart on SOTC and him introducing the champion over the drumroll.. could also add Shadoe Stevens on Hollywood Squares too.. and even Kenny Williams(id give a slight edge to Kenny because his intro was better) as far as underrated spiels i could add  Ed MacKay on TJW 90 or Michelle Roth  on Crosswits

Clay Zambo

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 05:50:27 PM »
"Every answer to every question is right here before your eyes...and...now...you...see...it." Perfect match of graphics, intro language, and music.
czambo@mac.com

Winkfan

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 07:14:42 PM »
I believe this matter was already covered here before...

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
Indeed it was. Ten years ago.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 07:21:50 PM »

Cordially,
Tammy

I believe ten years is a significant amount of time and most people wouldn't remember such a thread existed...

Gobsmackedly,
CP
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 07:32:48 PM »
As already noted, it's been a decade. Topics have been recycled after way shorter periods.