Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Biggest game/reality show stories of 2014?  (Read 15636 times)

johnnya2k3

Biggest game/reality show stories of 2014?
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »
With this year about to draw to a close, it's time to run through the biggest game show stories of 2014. Some of them come to mind:

LMAD's first ever Emmy win...for Best Song
Family Feud still on a ratings high, all thanks to Steve Harvey's historic Game Show Host win (the first African-American to do so!); his talk show also won
Sheree Heil winning a $157,300 Audi R8 Spyder Quattro in Gas Money, making her the BIGGEST WINNER IN TPIR DAYTIME HISTORY!!!! (carried over from 2013)
"The Chase's" Brooke Burns among the countless celebrities involved in a certain scandal that shall remain nameless
"Catch 21" host Alfonso Ribierio winning the latest season of Dancing With The Stars
A series of mis-solves on Wheel of Fortune that had Pat Sajak losing his cool
and of course...

Arthur Chu's and Julia Collins' reigns of terror on Jeopardy!, though in the end, it was Ben Ingram who outsmarted them both.

Any others we should include?

BrandonFG

Re: Biggest game/reality show stories of 2014?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
You do realize that Pat "losing his cool" was an act, right?

This "nameless scandal"...I have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate.

Outside of Arthur or Julia's runs, I dunno if I'd put any of these on the list. But my mileage prolly varies.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »
This "nameless scandal"...I have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate.
I would assume the celebrity photo leaks (mainly female celebrities).

johnnya2k3

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 01:30:06 PM »
Yes, Pat blowing his cool was all an act, probably imitating Steve Harvey. But for much of this year, Feud has seriously been ganging up on Wheel and Jeopardy in the ratings.

The previous week's numbers showed the three shows neck and neck and neck, and Wheel has been the top syndie game show for 30 years. Its staleness has eventually caught up with them, and there's a lot of fixing up to do; otherwise, Feud will be the brand new #1.

Other game show highlights of '14 include...
Sports Jeopardy! on Crackle (which leads me to believe that Netflix may jump on the game show bandwagon themselves pretty soon)
Terry Crews the new host of Millionaire

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:01:05 PM »
Yes, Pat blowing his cool was all an act, probably imitating Steve Harvey.

Yes, because a 30+ year veteran needs to steal schtick from a guy who runs his show on dick jokes.

You're reminding me of Adam Kleist and "It is still noteworthy in that it is about to be seen."

/what was Pat O'Brien up to in 2014
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »
Yes, Pat blowing his cool was all an act, probably imitating Steve Harvey.

Yes, because a 30+ year veteran needs to steal schtick from a guy who runs his show on dick jokes.
Not only that, but Pat's been doing the mock exasperation long before Steve Harvey, John O'Hurley, Richard Karn or Louie Anderson ever stepped onto the set of Family Feud.

It's just something hosts do, and Steve Harvey definitely did not invent it. Sajak does it, Rayburn did it, Dawson did it, Barker did it, and so on, and so on, and so on.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 02:57:43 PM »
Jonathan: you should send this list over to Steve Beverly for inclusion in the 2015 Game Show Annual.
Travis L. Eberle

Winkfan

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
The passings of Jim Lange and Geoff Edwards, among others.....And I'm still smarting over the former.  :'(

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »
The passings of Jim Lange and Geoff Edwards, among others.....And I'm still smarting over the former.  :'(
These two are good inclusions, esp. happening so close together.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »
These two are good inclusions, esp. happening so close together.
Is it really a big story that members of the old guard are dying? And given their age, why would anyone be smarting over it?

If someone was going to do a Year End Retrospective, sure, put them in the In Memoriam section,
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 05:25:00 PM »
Not like there are a lot of options to begin with. But yes, I'd say that losing two big names, esp. just a week apart, is still pretty newsworthy.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »
Forgotten about the passings of Lange and Edwards...and Don Pardo, too.

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »
Forgotten about the passings of Lange and Edwards...and Don Pardo, too.

And Bern Bennett...

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »
Brad Rutter reclaiming his spot atop the winnings list, and winning his fourth Jeopardy tournament title, oughta be there.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »
Brad Rutter reclaiming his spot atop the winnings list, and winning his fourth Jeopardy tournament title, oughta be there.
The whole Battle of the Decades tournament would get my vote.

One of my favorite bits about that was the fact that Arthur Chu was getting heat for using the Forrest Bounce during his games, and then along comes Chuck Forrest, along with forty-four other vetted Jeopardy champions, and at LEAST half of them were doing it, if not something similar.