Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Adds New Lifeline: "Plus One"  (Read 12697 times)

chad1m

Millionaire Adds New Lifeline: "Plus One"
« on: July 02, 2014, 03:49:00 PM »
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire is bringing Phone-a-Friend back... sort of, in an in-person form.

The new lifeline is called Plus One, where, according to the official rules, "the Contestant may call upon his/her companion who will take a place next to the Contestant and attempt to get from his/her Plus One an answer selection to the current question. The “Plus One” companion may not communicate with any outside party, whether verbally or non-verbally, directly or through electronic means, or use any reference materials, including but not limited to, printed materials and electronic devices (e.g. tablet, smartphone)." This takes the place of one of the Jump the Question lfielines.

So, instead of calling someone on the phone, now you get to talk to someone you bring with you in the studio. Thoughts?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Millionaire Adds New Lifeline: "Plus One"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »
Thoughts?
The companion choice becomes a lot more interesting before-the-fact where the home audience can't see it. I think the game is hard enough that I'd allow two jumps, poll the audience, +1 and the Crystal Ball. Or perhaps pick your three favorites.
Travis L. Eberle

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
This precisely is what the PAF should have been back in 99...
Disagree vigorously. Twenty-one did it OK, but it was an obvious patch on the ground Millionaire had already tread.
Travis L. Eberle

cyclone45

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »
We can agree to disagree, Travis. I value your opinion. But my way of doing it would be... "Do you know the answer to this?" (nod) Okay, I'd like to use my +1...

chad1m

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 05:58:55 PM »
But my way of doing it would be... "Do you know the answer to this?" (nod) Okay, I'd like to use my +1...
And if you try that, you're out of the studio on your ascot in no time. Your companions are situated behind you and you are, at no time, allowed to make any contact with them of that or most other natures.

cyclone45

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 06:17:13 PM »
Normally yes, but I'm just using the lifeline...Befgore this lifeline was added? Absolutely..But I'm just using the way I would work it...

weaklink75

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 06:22:04 PM »
I'd rather have the 2nd Jump the Question- at least with that you know you'd be able to continue...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 06:23:07 PM »
Normally yes, but I'm just using the lifeline...Befgore this lifeline was added? Absolutely..But I'm just using the way I would work it...
But that's not what the show is doing.

Is what you've come up with an interesting way to do a game show? On second glance, not really. The reason phone-a-friend was such great TV is that first the contestant wrestles over whether to use it at all. Then who to call. Then do you accept his answer? Then was your friend correct?

What you've introduced reduces the risk because if the friend is making a big "X" with his hands, he's saying "you're on your own," and what's the fun in that? Now you either poll the audience or make like Kris Kross.
Travis L. Eberle

cyclone45

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 06:25:45 PM »
But then you save the lifeline for what they DO know...Ah, if I were producer..

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 06:26:58 PM »
But then you save the lifeline for what they DO know
To use the words of another-- "Boy, there's some insight."

Part of what makes game shows great is the uncertainty. Imagine if on Wheel of Fortune you spun a wheel with 24 wedges all reading $500. No Bankrupts, but no prizes or $5,000 space either. Is it better from a pure gamesmanship standpoint? Yes, but it would make foul and boring TV.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 06:41:51 PM »
But I'm just using the way I would work it...

...and since you're not allowed to communicate with them in any other situation, you would be out on your ass.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Now you either poll the audience or make like Kris Kross.

Wear your clothes backwards? What does that have to do with anything? :D
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
Wear your clothes backwards? What does that have to do with anything? :D
This was actually a designated spirit day thing in sixth grade.

Congratulations, we all now feel old.

His idea is that the contestant and companion would have unfettered communication, so I could ask you openly "Do you know this?" and you could say yes or no, and I could carry on from there.  That he seems to think that this is an improvement on the way it is now shows that he is not a Master at producing game shows. (To this I say, if that's the case why not just let your companion play the game with you and split the prize money?)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:52:44 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
I like this because I was suggesting something like this for a couple of years (I'd have done it like Twenty One) and I think having the help is good.

But I don't like it coming at the expense of one of the jumps.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022